PDA

View Full Version : NYT take on Chicago baseball

MarqSox
08-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Nice column written by a NYTimes writer and a Chicago native. Casts both teams in equally positive and negative lights.
http://www.charleston.net/stories/082303/spo_fa941923.shtml

TDog
08-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Aside from labeling George Castle as a Chicago writer, this guy seems to have it pegged. (Castle is a northwest Indiana sports editor who puts kissing-Cubbie-butt on the top of his to-do" list.)

Of course, both Chicago teams should have gone to the Series in the 1980s. Members of the 1983 Sox will tell you there is no way they should have lost the series with the Orioles. I wonder if the fact that sometimes the best team doesn't win may be our best hope.

Tragg
08-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Aside from labeling George Castle as a Chicago writer, this guy seems to have it pegged. (Castle is a northwest Indiana sports editor who puts kissing-Cubbie-butt on the top of his to-do" list.)

Of course, both Chicago teams should have gone to the Series in the 1980s. Members of the 1983 Sox will tell you there is no way they should have lost the series with the Orioles. I wonder if the fact that sometimes the best team doesn't win may be our best hope.

We didn't hit in 1983 playoffs. I think Luzinski let the bat sit on his shoulders every ab. However, if we could have won that game 4, instead of losing it in extras, we had Lamar for game 5 and likely would have won the world championship.