PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Batting Practice Bat


jabrch
08-23-2003, 11:12 AM
This week, Frank has been taking an aluminum bat into the cage for BP. He is not doing it to "entertain the fans" as Sosa said, cuz most fans cant see the Sox take BP. However he is doing it to quicken his bat speed and his reaction time. I don't think he will ever "accidentally" use the wrong bat...

Imagine a pitcher, 60 ft, 6 in away from Frank with an aluminum bat? OUCH...

FanOf14
08-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Does anyone think that LB will ever allow aluminum bats into the league? :?:

I think it will happen someday, or at least a material alternative to wood since it seems that they are having supply problems getting the correct wood used to make the bats.

TornLabrum
08-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Does anyone think that LB will ever allow aluminum bats into the league? :?:

I think it will happen someday, or at least a material alternative to wood since it seems that they are having supply problems getting the correct wood used to make the bats.

Unless they can make an aluminum bat that acts exactly like wood, the answer is no. The ball coming off an aluminum bat of a Frank Thomas or Barry Bonds towards a pitcher's head will kill the pitcher.

FanOf14
08-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Let me rephrase the question, do any of you think that they will use a material alternative to wood? Whatever that material could be, I am not sure, but just as a generic question let's use alternative material (I'd have to check with the material engineer at work to find out what materials could be used in place of wood).

kevingrt
08-23-2003, 11:23 AM
They should put a wall around the 3rd base line, he could hit a line drive that takes someones whole head off!

jabrch
08-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Bats are wood...I think this is one of the few baseball truisms...

npdempse
08-23-2003, 12:30 PM
The last time he did this, he was saying it was to intimidate the opposing pitching. I think it was the A's, and some of them said that they were duely impressed.

Farmer was on him about the aluminum, thinks it will do more to screw up his swing than to help it.

RKMeibalane
08-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Farmer was on him about the aluminum, thinks it will do more to screw up his swing than to help it.

Farmer also said that Frank needed to "make the team" back in March. He just doesn't like Frank. That's why he's always whining about him.

Unregistered
08-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Farmer also said that Frank needed to "make the team" back in March. He just doesn't like Frank. That's why he's always whining about him. Ha! I almost forgot all about that. That's easily one of the more ridiculous things Farmer insisted on running with for weeks in Spring Training...


:farmer
"And Thomas doubles in Crede and Lee. Frank knows he really has to step it up if he's going to make this team...''

rmusacch
08-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Ha! I almost forgot all about that. That's easily one of the more ridiculous things Farmer insisted on running with for weeks in Spring Training...


:farmer
"And Thomas doubles in Crede and Lee. Frank knows he really has to step it up if he's going to make this team...''

Farmer is a moron. He makes his stupid jokes all game long but when Rooney makes one there is just dead silence. On top of that, he thinks he was great. He also always talks about his ex-teammates like he was with these teams for a long time.

Thunderstruck30
08-24-2003, 12:26 AM
I read in the paper that Frank hit one out of the park on a one hopper using the aluminum bat.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I read in the paper that Frank hit one out of the park on a one hopper using the aluminum bat.

Holy ****!

Jjav829
08-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I read in the paper that Frank hit one out of the park on a one hopper using the aluminum bat.

I don't know how many people here have seen it, but Ichiro did that in a game in Japan. The pitch bounced a few feet before the plate and he still swung and got a base hit out of it. They showed it a lot when Ichiro first joined the Mariners just as an example of how great of a player he was in Japan. But if Frank got a homer out of a pitch like that, wow.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I don't know how many people here have seen it, but Ichiro did that in a game in Japan. The pitch bounced a few feet before the plate and he still swung and got a base hit out of it. They showed it a lot when Ichiro first joined the Mariners just as an example of how great of a player he was in Japan. But if Frank got a homer out of a pitch like that, wow.

Ichiro's bat control is amazing. When he first came to the big leagues back in 2001, he spent the early days of Spring Training poking hits into left field as he learned about the pitchers. One day, Lou Pinella asked him if he was capapble of hitting home runs. The exchange went something like this:

Pinella: Do you have power?

Ichiro: Yes.

Pinella: Can you show me?

Ichiro: Yes.

In his next at-bat, Ichiro drilled a pitch over the rightfield fence for a homer. Several Mariner players were seen in the dugout laughing.

Jjav829
08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Ichiro's bat control is amazing. When he first came to the big leagues back in 2001, he spent the early days of Spring Training poking hits into left field as he learned about the pitchers. One day, Lou Pinella asked him if he was capapble of hitting home runs. The exchange went something like this:

Pinella: Do you have power?

Ichiro: Yes.

Pinella: Can you show me?

Ichiro: Yes.

In his next at-bat, Ichiro drilled a pitch over the rightfield fence for a homer. Several Mariner players were seen in the dugout laughing.

Yeah, the guy is something else. There was a lot of talk again around the time of the HR Derby that many baseball people wanted to see Ichiro in the HR Derby. They feel that he could win the thing if given the chance. It certainly would be interesting to see him go against guys like Bonds, Giambi, Delgado, Vlad, etc. and see what he could do.

jcw218
08-24-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I read in the paper that Frank hit one out of the park on a one hopper using the aluminum bat.

I saw that article also. To me it sounded as if Frank hit a home run that one hopped its way out of the park. The way that I read the story is that He hit a home run that hit the last row of bleachers then bounced out of the park.

RKMeibalane
08-24-2003, 08:38 AM
I'm surprised that Mariotti hasn't ripped Frank for this, accusing him of being a showboat. The thing of it is, Sox batting practice is not open to the public, so no one except the players and people already in the park working can see what he's doing. Besides, Frank has a specific reason for using the aluminum bat- he believes that he has more confidence his hands, his bat speed because of the way the bat feels when he swings it.

Having said that, this is presicely the type of situation where Mariotti would start cranking out columns, complaining about Frank. As I said at the start of this post, I'm surprised we haven't heard from him yet.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 09:32 AM
If Frank wants to use a FOOTBALL BAT during batting practice, more power to him... as long as he produces during games. And big Frank is producing.

jabrch
08-24-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by PinchALoaf
If Frank wants to use a FOOTBALL BAT during batting practice, more power to him... as long as he produces during games. And big Frank is producing.


A football bat?

jabrch
08-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Ichiro's bat control is amazing. When he first came to the big leagues back in 2001, he spent the early days of Spring Training poking hits into left field as he learned about the pitchers. One day, Lou Pinella asked him if he was capapble of hitting home runs. The exchange went something like this:

Pinella: Do you have power?

Ichiro: Yes.

Pinella: Can you show me?

Ichiro: Yes.

In his next at-bat, Ichiro drilled a pitch over the rightfield fence for a homer. Several Mariner players were seen in the dugout laughing.

Along with Vlad Guerrero and Barry Bonds are, in my opinion, the three best all-around players in the game. All are gold glovers. All have ferrocious arms. All are brilliant situational hitter. All are .300 hitters. The latter two have dominant power. All have some speed ranging from decent (Bonds) to pretty fast (Vlad) to BLAZING (Ichiro). I love having Mags on my team, but those guys are true awesome OFs.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
A football bat?

Is there a color for both sarcasm and nonsensical words?