PDA

View Full Version : Throwing balls back

CubFan
08-23-2003, 04:53 AM
Not quite sure why Sox fans rip on the tradition(?) of throwing enemy home runs back. A home run hit by the opposing team at the Urinal is tainted. As as a Cub fan, I'm perfectly happy that people at the ballpark would rather throw it back on the field than keep something that is a symbol of the team's failure. Now, I also agree that Sox fans shouldn't do this because it's a Cubs tradition, but let's be realistic here. It is admirable, the only reason to dislike it is because the Cubs fans are doing it, and as White Sox fans I suppose that is reason enough.

Brian

PaleHoseGeorge
08-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by CubFanH8er
Not quite sure why Sox fans rip on the tradition(?) of throwing enemy home runs back. A home run hit by the opposing team at the Urinal is tainted. As as a Cub fan, I'm perfectly happy that people at the ballpark would rather throw it back on the field than keep something that is a symbol of the team's failure. Now, I also agree that Sox fans shouldn't do this because it's a Cubs tradition, but let's be realistic here. It is admirable, the only reason to dislike it is because the Cubs fans are doing it, and as White Sox fans I suppose that is reason enough.

Brian

You know, there isn't a single Sox Fan who hasn't met you. You're the idiot Cubs fans yammering on a bar stool, or talking loud on the street or inside the shopping mall, or showing your ignorance in the row of seats behind us at the ballpark. I bet you dropped your cellphone just so you could type this, didn't you?

Others here say Flub fan ignorance is not to be pitied or tolerated. I'm sure they want me to ban you. Instead, I'm going to leave you and your post as is, and let everyone else take their shots. How you respond will seal your fate. Be careful; Big brother is watching.

So to set the record straight for the terminally stupid wearing the Kerry Wood shirt, here are a few things you should know.

1.) Those were FAKE home run balls the original bleacher bums threw back 35 years go, and they are STILL fake home run balls the wise guys are throwing back today. The Cubune knows it, but they say nothing to keep you and your fellow morons ignorant. Some tradition, eh?

2.) Unlike you and the other perverts who have twisted logic to think losing is to be somehow glorified, no Sox Fan has ever called their team "lovable losers" and certainly wouldn't think it cute to throw back a home run ball. That home run ball represents LOSING to a Sox Fan and we are far too pissed off to make jokes about it. Got it?

3.) As for keeping your loser traditions, like throwing back home run balls and raising a large "L" flag after every defeat, I speak for all Sox Fans when we say you're welcome to every one of them. It's precisely these things that separate us from idiots like you.

The only thing White Sox Fans want is to win. I have written about this for over six years now. For us nothing compares to a Sox victory. Unfortunately, winning anything significant doesn't happen nearly often enough for the Sox or Sox Fans. So if we can't enjoy a glorious Sox victory, we'll at least find a measure of satisfaction watching the Flubs lose knowing that they and their idiotic loser fans are getting precisely what they want and what they deserve.

Here's some light reading to help the ignorant become less dumb.

Wrigley Field's Dirty Secrets (aka, the Urinal) (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BeattheCubs/WrigleySecrets.htm)

Celebrating Losing Baseball (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Fungo/LosingBaseball.htm)

Losing ain't cute, Flub fan. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BeattheCubs/Losing.htm)

Chicago-proud for our Sox! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/ChicagoProud.htm)

and of course...

The White Sox Interactive Manifesto! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)

Hangar18
08-23-2003, 09:10 AM
May I ask how old you are? as far as this "tradition" goes, we've known for quite some time, that this "tradition" you speak of, throwing homerun balls back because of whatever reason,
is a sham, because you THROW FAKE ONES BACK AND KEEP THE REAL ONES. what a bunch of bs. Yeah, i laugh how the trib and wgn wont really tell people otherwise...... Got To keep those Turnstiles Turnstiling right? that in itself is reason 24,190 why I dislike that franchise. I dont like seeing someone at Comiskey throwing a hr ball back. To me, it represents cubbiness, and I dont want to be associated with a laughingstock, losing franchise.
The Sox have Plenty of Traditions of our own that are the envy of baseball. You know that thing you guys do in the 7th inning where you get anyone passing thru town selling something, promoting something or shucking and jiving under the guise of singing Take Me out is a Bastardized version of what the Sox and Harry did way way back in the day. Also, we were lucky to have the Flame Tongued, Devil May Care Harry with us. By the time he go to you guys....he was a drunk, blithering company man who was a shell of his former self (may he rest peacefully)

ScottyTheSoxFan
08-23-2003, 09:34 AM
i still dont get why in the hell a cub fan would visit whitesoxinteractive? if you like the cubs, you dont hang aound on another team site.

Hangar18
08-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i still dont get why in the hell a cub fan would visit whitesoxinteractive? if you like the cubs, you dont hang aound on another team site.

in his defense, everyone does it. I was on the Royals board, and a Twin fan was giving them a hard time, kind of funny. It seemed like a logical enough question, im glad his question stayed for everyone to read.

TornLabrum
08-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

Maybe he's "Mike" who called The Score yesterday about our "rumor site run by media people."

jabrch
08-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by CubFan
Now, I also agree that Sox fans shouldn't do this because it's a Cubs tradition.

Kinda like TMOTTBG - a long time CUBS tradition, right?

I wonder what % of the Wrigleyville Cubs fans understand TMOTTBG, where it came from, and how much of a "cubs tradition" it is....

FanOf14
08-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Why not give it a little kid in the crowd? The beaming and smiling that kid will do will overshadow any of the cheers the drunkards would give you for throwing it back.

Tragg
08-23-2003, 11:27 AM

Brian

Because cub fans, as always, miss the broader perspective. Baseball is a 162 game marathon. Baseball is the game it is because it brings a long term perspective - something the entire world needs more of.
Short term thinking fails in baseball. The chance, the rare chance, to get a baseball, when you are simply enjoying the game as a fan, particularly a home run, may happen once in a lifetime - it is something to be cherished.

You will win a lot of games and lose a lot of games; home runs well be hit in the hundreds. Oh, and yes, even the opponents will hit home runs - to somehow rue the notion, to believe that an opposition homer is failure, is to live in a fantasy land.

50 years without back-to-back winning seasons - now THAT is failure. The opponent hitting a home run in a single inning of a single game is part of the game.

jabrch
08-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Why not give it a little kid in the crowd? The beaming and smiling that kid will do will overshadow any of the cheers the drunkards would give you for throwing it back.

I have caught three in my life...I always take it, and look for the nearest little kid (7 and under is my target...)

TDog
08-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by FanOf14

A few years ago, I saw a Sox road game (I think it was in Minnesota) where a kid sitting with his mother in the front row down one of the lines threw back a foul ball that someone had handed him. His mother went nuts. She got the ball back from someone on the field, and the last the camera showed was the mother talking to the kid. I attributed the incident to the evil "Cubification" of America.

Some Cubs fans really are stupid enough to throw actual home run balls back. Others are prepared with fakes. The fact that people show up with fakes and everyone cheers at the throwing of something back onto the field after a Cubs opponent homers gives many the impression that Cubs fans actually go to the games to see home runs from Cards and Mets and Phillies and other non-Cubs.

I started a similar thread this spring. I posted that the only way I would throw a home run ball back is if I could nail Sammy Sosa with it. That is purely hypothetical and something of an exaggeration as I would never go to a Cubs game. And if I did, I would rather risk assault at the hands of drunks (who could trigger litigation) than give them the satisfaction of seeing something thrown back onto the field.

I would give the home run ball to a kid, if he would promise not to throw it back.

voodoochile
08-23-2003, 12:20 PM

Brian

Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

You know, there isn't a single Sox Fan who hasn't met you. You're the idiot Cubs fans yammering on a bar stool, or talking loud on the street or inside the shopping mall, or showing your ignorance in the row of seats behind us at the ballpark. I bet you dropped your cellphone just so you could type this, didn't you?

Others here say Flub fan ignorance is not to be pitied or tolerated. I'm sure they want me to ban you. Instead, I'm going to leave you and your post as is, and let everyone else take their shots. How you respond will seal your fate. Be careful; Big brother is watching.

So to set the record straight for the terminally stupid wearing the Kerry Wood shirt, here are a few things you should know.

1.) Those were FAKE home run balls the original bleacher bums threw back 35 years go, and they are STILL fake home run balls the wise guys are throwing back today. The Cubune knows it, but they say nothing to keep you and your fellow morons ignorant. Some tradition, eh?

2.) Unlike you and the other perverts who have twisted logic to think losing is to be somehow glorified, no Sox Fan has ever called their team "lovable losers" and certainly wouldn't think it cute to throw back a home run ball. That home run ball represents LOSING to a Sox Fan and we are far too pissed off to make jokes about it. Got it?

3.) As for keeping your loser traditions, like throwing back home run balls and raising a large "L" flag after every defeat, I speak for all Sox Fans when we say you're welcome to every one of them. It's precisely these things that separate us from idiots like you.

The only thing White Sox Fans want is to win. I have written about this for over six years now. For us nothing compares to a Sox victory. Unfortunately, winning anything significant doesn't happen nearly often enough for the Sox or Sox Fans. So if we can't enjoy a glorious Sox victory, we'll at least find a measure of satisfaction watching the Flubs lose knowing that they and their idiotic loser fans are getting precisely what they want and what they deserve.

Wrigley Field's Dirty Secrets (aka, the Urinal) (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BeattheCubs/WrigleySecrets.htm)

Celebrating Losing Baseball (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Fungo/LosingBaseball.htm)

Losing ain't cute, Flub fan. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/BeattheCubs/Losing.htm)

Chicago-proud for our Sox! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/ChicagoProud.htm)

and of course...

The White Sox Interactive Manifesto! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)

And by the way, Welcome Aboard! :D: I think George explained the site's perspective perfectly...

voodoochile
08-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Maybe he's "Mike" who called The Score yesterday about our "rumor site run by media people."

More likely he is one of the people who found out about the site because "Mike" hates us so much... Thanks again, Mike...

longshot7
08-23-2003, 03:37 PM

and of course...

yeah, what he said.

cheeses_h_rice
08-23-2003, 04:24 PM

Brian

No matter how much Flub fans try to rid themselves of the taint of failure, it never seems to work now, does it?

Makes ya think...

hsnterprize
08-24-2003, 09:18 AM
This is another reason why I prefer the White Sox over the Cubs. Sox fans are very passionate about what's "ours" rather than trying to copy everyone else's rituals. Let's face it...things like the wave and throwing back opponents' home run balls are obviously despised at the Cell. I won't rehash the points that have been repeatedly pointed out on this site. I'll only say that we White Sox fans are so tired of the constant comparisons to the idiotic antics of Cub fans from across the country, that anything that even remorely resembles something performed at Urinal Park at Clark and Addison is frowned upon.

I'm wondering what would happen if the press highlighted the positive attributes we Sox fans often show instead of the few idiots who ruin it for the rest of us (i.e., Eric "Dufus" Dybas...who's not even a Sox fan to begin with, but caused problems at the Cell)? I wonder if the perceptions about our team, our ballpark, and the surroundings around U.S. Cellular Field would change if there was as much effort to promote the Sox as much as the Cubs? Of course the answer is yes, but with all the Cub promotion out there, it seems like everything Cub fans do seems to be right and proper while Sox fans can't do anything right.

Oh well...I guess when our team keeps winning like they are now, more and more people will notice just how much we Sox fans like our team. The Sox' success is bringing positive attention to the south side, and I obviously want it to continue. I can see people being more and more interested in the Sox side of the story instead of constantly following the Cubs mantra of "beautiful Wrigley Field" over and over again. Hey...maybe Ozzy Osbourne did us a favor in drudging through TMOTTBG. At least Nancy plays that song in tune and on cue time and time again.

My point of all this is simple...the Sox are gaining ground and positive press in this city. WSI is gaining more attention in the press...Lord knows if I were in a position to promote this site, I would in a hearteat. Let's embrace this momentum while we can...you never know, but I have the feeling the back of the Cub machine is about to break. And when it does, I'll be one of the first of many Sox fans to rejoice in the north side empire's pain.

Nick@Nite
08-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
yeah, what he said.

haha... :D:

shane
08-24-2003, 05:02 PM
I didn't read all of the posts, so it's possibly been covered, but my guess is those ARE cubs fans throwing the balls back at the Sox games. Sox fans don't do it.

jabrch
08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by shane
I didn't read all of the posts, so it's possibly been covered, but my guess is those ARE cubs fans throwing the balls back at the Sox games. Sox fans don't do it.

that those are long-time Sox fans... I can't see it.

As the Sox get closer and closer to the playoffs, we will see more and more Cubs fans and Chicagoans who are indifferent to the two in the park. Since they know what they see on TV and they always see balls being thrown back, we will have to deal with that. If you are at the park, and you see it happening, please, please, please boo the person...please tell that person why that is not right...

Teach...

Or just club him over the head like a seal

(No seals were harmed in the writing of this post)

alohafri
08-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Rest assured, all the (real) Sox fans at the games boo the idiots who throw back the balls.

chosk8
08-25-2003, 01:55 PM
As much as I dislike Bonds, I'd love to see him surpass Mays', Ruth's or Aaron's home run totals, at Wrigley just to see how dear they hold this 'tradition'. What a bunch of frauds.

alohafri
08-25-2003, 02:27 PM
When an opposing HR ball is hit out of the ugly field and lands in the street, do the fans try to throw the ball back into the park? Or do they turn it in at the ticket window?

WhiteSoxWinner
08-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Here's a question, why stop at HR balls? In this whole perverse thought about team failure, I guess you would throw back your own foul balls as they represent the Flub's lack of success at the plate for not getting a hit or taking a walk.

Would that mean you would keep the opposing team's foul balls as they represent pitching success for Flubs?

This whole thing makes my brain hurt. Just keep the darn ball and enjoy it!!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
When an opposing HR ball is hit out of the ugly field and lands in the street, do the fans try to throw the ball back into the park? Or do they turn it in at the ticket window?
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Here's a question, why stop at HR balls? In this whole perverse thought about team failure, I guess you would throw back your own foul balls as they represent the Flub's lack of success at the plate for not getting a hit or taking a walk. Would that mean you would keep the opposing team's foul balls as they represent pitching success for Flubs?

Wow. Great points by both of you. This really puts a torch to the notion that Flubbie fans throw back home run balls "because it's tainted."

If the ball is "tainted", why aren't the Urinal fans booing their fellow losers out on Waveland Avenue when they chase down an opponents home run ball? Could it be that the REAL point of this excercise is just to entertain each other with playful jokes, hmmm?

Aloha and WSW prove the point and Cubfan is proven an idiot yet again. His logic that the ball is "tainted" can't be right because NOT all Flubbie fans throw back all the obviously "tainted" balls, and ALL Flubbie fans don't boo when "tainted" balls aren't thrown back.

What a joke these people are... they think losing is cute and throwing back (fake) home run balls is just for their demented amusement. End of story.

Can any of us be surprised at such behavior from a bunch of perverts who call their team "Lovable Losers"? You know something? I hate those ****ers for ruining Chicago baseball. :angry:

oheeoh...magglio
08-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Wow. Great points by both of you. This really puts a torch to the notion that Flubbie fans throw back home run balls "because it's tainted."

If the ball is "tainted", why aren't the Urinal fans booing their fellow losers out on Waveland Avenue when they chase down an opponents home run ball? Could it be that the REAL point of this excercise is just to entertain each other with playful jokes, hmmm?

Aloha and WSW prove the point and Cubfan is proven an idiot yet again. His logic that the ball is "tainted" can't be right because NOT all Flubbie fans throw back all the obviously "tainted" balls, and ALL Flubbie fans don't boo when "tainted" balls aren't thrown back.

What a joke these people are... they think losing is cute and throwing back (fake) home run balls is just for their demented amusement. End of story.

Can any of us be surprised at such behavior from a bunch of perverts who call their team "Lovable Losers"? You know something? I hate those ****ers for ruining Chicago baseball. :angry:

It's amazing how the same town can have, imo, baseball's most knowledgeable fans who only seem to complain about their team because we want to win and are skeptical after 85 years of failure (the sox,) and baseball's dumbest, least knowledgeable fans, who think losing is cute, throw back fake home run balls, don't pay attention to their team or the games they go to, and show up to their teams games in droves, even when they are the worst club in baseball. You know what's the only thing more amazing that that? The fact that a town of 3 million people and it's media can (for the most part) AGREE WITH AND DEFEND THESE IDIOTS!!!!!! :angry:

JohnJeter
08-25-2003, 05:37 PM

For Heaven's sake, it was something that started as simple fun at the ballpark and people got a kick out of it. Sure, it's been milked to death at this point (not unlike the 7th inning stretch embarrassment), but some Sox fans need to stop taking everything "Cub" so seriously.

"All Cub fans are idiots with no baseball knowledge", "Wrigley is a dump", etc. I suppose those concepts are at the heart of the "charter" of this forum, but yeesh, some of you take it so seriously!

I should add that I'm a devoted Sox fan, lest I again get banned by a capricious mod.

CubFan
08-25-2003, 06:04 PM
I suppose I'll try to clarify some of the confusion. I apologize if my post came across as condescending or snobbish. You really shouldn't have changed my name to CubFan, though, seeing as I hate the majority of them. They are indeed everything you accuse them to be. Not all of us are like that, however.

Having a losing team and one of the most selfish ballplayers in the history of the game being glorified day in and day out sometimes makes me ill. The Cubune has no desire to win, years like this are just gravy, they're sitting back planning the next gimp they can acquire for a pittance just so they can make it look like they're "trying to win" In '98 when they could have had Piazza and Ventura but ended up with Heredia and Karchner (thanks for that one Sox, my buddy still gets a chuckle every time I mention his name ) because they didn't want to pay them the next year, I almost blew a gasket.

Take me out to the ballgame has become a sad exploitation and the Ozzy incident that made me change the channel in disgust. Hell, I thought Harry should have retired at least 5 years before he did, he was an embarrasment to listen to in the booth. The first year's tribute to him with the celebrities was ok, but they should have left it at that.

I started reading this web site when one of my best friends started writing articles for it. He is obviously a rabid Sox fan and we've engaged in some trash talk in the past. He directed me to a few message board threads and I was impressed with the level of knowledge coupled with support for the Sox that was on these boards. I have been reading ever since. Your enthusiasm is infectious, I have even started pulling for the Sox out of respect for you.

That being said, I am still ultimately a Cub fan and I can't simply stop rooting for them because the owners of the team have no desire to win because of stupid fans. I enjoy Wrigley, but have never been to the Cell, although after reading this site I would like to check it out the next time I'm in IL. And as for throwing back opposing home runs, I still feel it is a good tradition although apparantly for reasons different than the average fool I have to suffer with year in and year out.

Let me try to be more clear. An opposition home run has put runs onto the scoreboard against the Cubs. As a Cub fan, if I take this ball home, I'm proud of something that was used to possibly defeat my team. I'm sorry, I don't want it. I posted here to see if there were any reasons for Sox fans hating the tradition besides that it's something that Cub fans do and I'm still curious as to what your views are on that.

jortafan
08-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by alohafri

I have a confession to make. I went to Wrigley Field earlier this season to see one game (they got the snot beat out of them by the Expos).

During that game, Vladimir Guerrero hit a home run out of the building and onto Waveland Avenue. Yes, one of the "seriously need to get a life" ball hawks did try to throw the ball back into the stadium. Unfortunately, he had a lame arm, and his toss hit the back of the screen, keeping the ball outside the building.

A second fan outside then tried to throw it back in, and his toss was successful. Of course, Cubs fans cheered.

Personally, I got my cheers when Rocky Biddle came in and pitched an inning of relief.

jcw218
08-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Let me try to be more clear. An opposition home run has put runs onto the scoreboard against the Cubs. As a Cub fan, if I take this ball home, I'm proud of something that was used to possibly defeat my team. I'm sorry, I don't want it. I posted here to see if there were any reasons for Sox fans hating the tradition besides that it's something that Cub fans do and I'm still curious as to what your views are on that.

Any chance that I get that gives me a free souvenir from the game I'll take it. Who cares if it was in the form of a hit ball that may have helped beat my team. If you happen to catch the ball and really do not want it, give it to a kid who is in attendance at the game. I'd be willing to bet that the kid would cherish the gift.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
....If you happen to catch the ball and really do not want it, give it to a kid who is in attendance at the game. I'd be willing to bet that the kid would cherish the gift.

Isn't this precisely what Dave Wills has been preaching on his radio show for years now? At least it is a genuine gesture, not based on some make-believe "tradition" based on a false premise. Those were fake home run balls being thrown back 35 years ago, and it is still happening today.

Clembasbal
08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
I have a question...if I were a Sox fan and ended up in the Bleachers at the Urinal...then would it be ok for me to throw back a homerun ball hit by the Flubs?

I understand I would love to keep it because I have been to about 1000 games throughout the US and I have never even gotten close to a foul ball, but it is the Flubs and it is at their own crappy park.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
I have a question...if I were a Sox fan and ended up in the Bleachers at the Urinal...then would it be ok for me to throw back a homerun ball hit by the Flubs?

I understand I would love to keep it because I have been to about 1000 games throughout the US and I have never even gotten close to a foul ball, but it is the Flubs and it is at their own crappy park.

If you're a Sox Fan, you don't throw back home run balls. Period. If you were to catch a Sox home run ball hit at the Urinal, I would think it should be the greatest piece of Sox memorabilia you could possibly own. However, if you really really can't handle all the idiots around you booing you incessantly, turn toward the most-deserving child seated near you and hand her the baseball. Then for good measure, flip off all the Flubbie fans while yelling, "LOSERS!"

:wills
"Give the ball to a child, then flip off the drillrods!"

Clembasbal
08-25-2003, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
[B]If you're a Sox Fan, you don't throw back home run balls. Period. If you were to catch a Sox home run ball hit at the Urinal, I would think it should be the greatest piece of Sox memorabilia you could possibly own. However, if you really really can't handle all the idiots around you booing you incessantly, turn toward the most-deserving child seated near you and hand her the baseball. Then for good measure, flip off all the Flubbie fans while yelling, "LOSERS!"

Hey, just making sure. Personally, I would keep the ball and then flip off the child for being there as well.

jabrch
08-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jcw218
Any chance that I get that gives me a free souvenir from the game I'll take it. Who cares if it was in the form of a hit ball that may have helped beat my team. If you happen to catch the ball and really do not want it, give it to a kid who is in attendance at the game. I'd be willing to bet that the kid would cherish the gift.

100% right...I have caught 3 balls (2 in the OF at old Comiskey and 1 foul down the line in then new park) and each time I turned to find a young kid to give them the ball...

In my eyes, its the right thing to do.

JohnJeter
08-25-2003, 11:17 PM
I threw one back once, but only because there was still a significant amount of expectoration on it somehow. It just wasn't worth it, even for the tyke next to me.

jabrch
08-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
I threw one back once, but only because there was still a significant amount of expectoration on it somehow. It just wasn't worth it, even for the tyke next to me.

Was Wilbur Wood on the hill that day?

alohafri
08-26-2003, 03:26 PM
How far does this "tradition" go?

Let's say that Barry Bonds hits #600 HR in Wrigley. The person who caught it (a cub fan)does not have a fake one to throw back. The ball is worth thousands of dollars, BUT, it is "tainted" and a true cub fan would throw it back, right?

(Mrs. Aloha)

CubFan
08-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I would throw it back. I'm sure Barry would appreciate the fact that he gets to keep the ball instead of some greedy fan trying to gouge people for as much money as he/she can get. Would the average Cub fan throw it back? Probably not, but then again I've already stated how I feel about those fools.

MRKARNO
08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
I would throw it back. I'm sure Barry would appreciate the fact that he gets to keep the ball instead of some greedy fan trying to gouge people for as much money as he/she can get. Would the average Cub fan throw it back? Probably not, but then again I've already stated how I feel about those fools.

Mods, how long do we have to put up with this lying troll?

Daver
08-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Mods, how long do we have to put up with this lying troll?

Till I find him no longer amusing.

:bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by daver

He's like a piece of fresh meat, isn't he? I don't think the buzzards are quite done picking at his flesh. I vote for letting him stay.

:bandance: :bandance:

soxwon
08-26-2003, 05:28 PM
ive been to over 500 sox games since 1965, ive never caught a ball foul or fair.
ive had a konerko blast hit the seat next to mine, but by the time i bent over to grab it 4 guys were on top of the seats.
oh well.
And ill be damned if i catch a home run id ever throw it back.
But wait if it were a SOSA i most definetly would.LOL

jabrch
08-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

:bandance:

I found him no longer amusing from the start. At least some Cubs fans are funny...some are smart...he's pure Troll.

Daver
08-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I found him no longer amusing from the start. At least some Cubs fans are funny...some are smart...he's pure Troll.

But he is amusing,pathetic and sad,but amusing.

He will hear the

TWANG............................................. .....................................Thump.

Soon I'm sure.

:)

CubFan
08-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Hrm lying? The guy that got McGwire's 62 home run ball gave it to him for free. Not everyone in this world is in it for the money. It just so happens that my throwing the ball back would serve two purposes. Anyway, sorry that I was curious if there was any reason for you to hate the tradition other than the fact that it is done by Cubs fans. I apologize for disrupting your community here.

I'm happy to see that the Sox are up 11-0 on the Yanks, and will continue to pull for them to win. There's no need to ban me, in fact I'm not sure why you'd even want to. I won't post anymore, but will continue to read the boards and hopefully in the future you might be able to see the difference between a troll and someone attempting to have a valid discussion.

Daver
08-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Hrm lying? The guy that got McGwire's 62 home run ball gave it to him for free. Not everyone in this world is in it for the money.

Gimme a break,the guy that caught McGwire's 62nd HR was employed by the St.Louis Cardinals,do you honestly beleive he had much choice?

You can keep trying to justify the pathetic act of throwing back a HR ball,but face it,you are fighting a losing battle,it has been well pointed out that this is strictly a "Cubbie" thing.

If someone were to do it in Chavez Ravine they would be thrown out of the park for throwing something on the field.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2003, 08:57 PM
....There's no need to ban me, in fact I'm not sure why you'd even want to. I won't post anymore, but will continue to read the boards and hopefully in the future you might be able to see the difference between a troll and someone attempting to have a valid discussion.

Well, here's a friendly piece of advice Brian. Next time you make your first post on a strange new message board, engage your brain before writing something like this...

Brian

It's not bad enough that you took the full-long header straight into the role of the stereotypical clueless Flubs fan, you've now demonstrated yet another of their worse personality traits--the whiner who cries when he receives precisely what his lack of intelligence brings him.

Go ahead, let's hear it. We know you've got it in you.

"Wait till next year!"

:whiner:

ChiSoxBobette
08-27-2003, 06:19 AM

Brian
It"s stupid and only flub fans would think its some great tradition. Does'nt matter who hit the H.R. it would be just a thrill to catch a H.R. I bet you flub fans would never throw a H.R. hit by Barry Bonds back, I know for a fact flub fans keep H.R's hit by certain players. So these so-calle flub traditions should stay a tradition at the urinal.

Irishsox1
08-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Other than running on the field, throwing back homeruns is the dumbest thing I've ever seen at a baseball game. Of course the Cubs do it everytime, so therefore on a consistant basis, Cubs fans are the dumbest fans I've ever seen.

alohafri
08-27-2003, 10:19 AM
"But wait if it were a SOSA i most definetly would.LOL"

If I caught a HR hit by scammie, I would sell it to the nearest scrub fan for big $$. I once sold a giveaway scrub hat for a couple beers at the ugly field.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Jerko
08-27-2003, 11:27 AM
I don't care what the Cub 'fans' do at the pisspot. The funny thing is, another Cub 'tradition' has been exposed as being no more than a scam. Look at the staples of Cubbie-dom that have taken P.R. hits the last few years:

1. Rooftop owners for being greedy bastards
2. Cub brass 'screening' the view of rooftop owners, who are greedy bastards.
3. Cub brass' Premium Scalping service, a bunch of greedy bastards
4. Scam-ME Soso, who's a cheater AND a greedy bastard
5. Home run ball throwback fans with fake balls cause deep down they WANT to keep the real ball cause they're greedy bastards
6. 7th inning stretch with Ozzy to promote his wife's show, cause WGN is a bunch of greedy bastards

So in a few short years, the rooftop owners, fans, management, players, and traditions of the Flubs have been shown to be nothing more than a farce, and the fact that everyone involved in these farces turns a blind eye to it just proves that they are all either very stupid, or a bunch of greedy bastards. Probably both. I can't STAND when people at the Cell throw back homers because I want NOTHING to do with Cub 'fans' and being compared to them, but at least the people at the Cell who are moronic enough to throw an enemy homer back onto the field actually get it right.

shane
08-28-2003, 03:53 PM
I posted here to see if there were any reasons for Sox fans hating the tradition besides that it's something that Cub fans do and I'm still curious as to what your views are on that.

I think the fact that they can't give it to a kid is good enough reason to hate the tradition. I gave a BP ball to a kid one time and I think it very well may have been the most exciting day of his life. Kids should learn to appreciate the game and not the stupid antics, sometimes called traditions, like throwing a ball back. Every one of those balls that gets thrown back is a piece of some kid's history, lost. It's a baseball that's worth about six bucks to us, but it's priceless for a kid that loves baseball. These drunken bafoons that throw them back should be forced to spend the remainder of the game watching 'Sandlot' to get a feel for the importance of the game to some kids, since they obviously never played the game themselves.

OurBitchinMinny
08-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Throwing HR balls back is just stupid....Its a gay tradition and you scrub fans can have it. The only instance I would do it is if I was in the bleachers and wrigley (id rather set my hair on fire) and caught a Cub HR ball. Id launch that sucker back on the field and hopefully it would be sosa with a steroid induced HR and would take aim at his head. A gay tradition by gay fans

alohafri
09-03-2003, 07:27 AM
I just don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of a free souvenier? I am 36 years old and have been going to games as long as I remember and have yet to catch a home run ball. I don't care who hits it...Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Joe Crede, or even $amMe $o$a. I am keeping it! (Okay, maybe I will sell the $o$a ball on ebay, but I'm not throwing it back!)

steff
09-03-2003, 07:58 AM
I have all my balls from over the years in a box. Nice memories. Sometimes I just sit and look at my balls in their box. :D:

OK, Seriously, I do have them in a box. And I've never, and would never, toss any of them, nor give any of them away. Hopefully I'll have a son to give them to someday. Otherwise.. they'll just sit in the box.

voodoochile
09-03-2003, 09:41 AM
The whole concept is just plain stupid. I was pleased when a fan caught a Boston HR ball last night and appeared about to throw it back when someone behind them grabbed them and talked to them for a few moments and then the guy with the ball hesitantly sat down. It was a great moment. The Southside shall rise again...

Jerko
09-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The whole concept is just plain stupid. I was pleased when a fan caught a Boston HR ball last night and appeared about to throw it back when someone behind them grabbed them and talked to them for a few moments and then the guy with the ball hesitantly sat down. It was a great moment. The Southside shall rise again...

That happened?!?!?! That's great! Sorry I missed it!

cheeses_h_rice
09-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

When Roids Kapler hit his blast last night, you could hear people yelling "Throw it back!" on TV.

Pretty disgusting to see how widespread this idiotic "tradition" has become...

maurice
09-03-2003, 11:13 AM
It appears that the fans at the urinal have started a new tradition of throwing trash on the field every time a close call goes against them.

kingkirk04
09-04-2003, 03:31 PM
I don't see why its such a big deal. Its just a stupid tradition.. not like we're segregating the bathrooms here.