PDA

View Full Version : Statheads ...

OKCSoxFan
08-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Has there ever been a first time, unanimous HOF entry into Cooperstown? I'm sure there have, but couldn't find much about it. Course, I haven't looked hard either.

MarkEdward
08-23-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan
Has there ever been a first time, unanimous HOF entry into Cooperstown? I'm sure there have, but couldn't find much about it. Course, I haven't looked hard either.

Would you mean voted in by 100% of the writers? Then I believe the answer is no.

That's why you'll sometimes read about writers not voting for a certain great player because he doesn't want the player getting 100% of the vote because great players in the past (Ruth, Cobb, etc.) didn't get an unanimous vote (sorry for the run-on). Very stupid practice indeed...

OEO Magglio
08-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Nope, I'd like to know the writer who didn't vote babe ruth in.

Dadawg_77
08-23-2003, 11:00 AM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/index.htm

You can look at each player and see how many votes they received. For an example Babe Ruth got 215 votes out of a possible 226.

MRKARNO
08-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Bonds SHOULD be unanimous

MarkEdward
08-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Bonds SHOULD be unanimous

He *should* be, but probably won't (too many reporters still hold grudges over him).

Here's what I'm wondering: who the hell didn't vote for Ruth?!?!

SoxFan76
08-23-2003, 04:08 PM
probably peter gammons and his fellow bostonites.

MRKARNO
08-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
probably peter gammons and his fellow bostonites.

:boston

"I voted for the money that we got in the sale of the contract"

fquaye149
08-24-2003, 12:29 PM
there's absolutely no way bonds will make it in on 100%. someone will vote no just cuz he will not want bonds to go in 100% since ruth cobb and mays didn't.

meanwhile it makes me physically sick to think that the person with the highest voting % is not ty cobb, babe ruth, walter johnson, or any of them...but NOLAN RYAN, MAYBEthe most overrated pitcher in baseball history, but DEFINITELY not the greatest.