PDA

View Full Version : Are we in this or not?

Pete Ward
08-26-2001, 09:28 AM
Are we seriously in the race for the division or just plodding along?

Its getting descision time, Aug 31 trade deadline.

Some points to ponder:

* If we're in it: we keep Canseco, and add some pitching help at deadline.

* If were not in it: get rid of Canseco and play Liefer or some young kid to get AB's at the DH slot.

* With the Labor situation for 2002 looming, we probably wont see Borchard due to the 40 man roster status. Anyone on the 40 man roster cant play in 2002 if theres a lock out or strike.

* If were out of it, get Crede up and full time 3B play.

* Clayton has the right to demand a trade. Some beat writers think he will, or the Sox want him out anyway. THEN, get Valentin back at SS NOW! Play Jose and Clayton defineatley will ask for a trade.

* Do we have a catcher? Johnson is OK defensively but no stick. Is the kid at AA (Olivo ?) worth anything, lets find out. Josh Paul SUX.

* If the Sox dont want Foulke ($$$$), then start auditioning a stopper NOW ... (Wright?)

* Go with the kids as starters and chalk it up to a learning experience. Put up with Wright's type of performance vs Tampa.

Sorry, I didnt use the spell checker...

Comments......

:hamms

oldcomiskey
08-26-2001, 09:42 AM
In answer to your first queston--not only does KW not know--but apparently JM dont either..The story on the front page of this site is right on target for a change(Just Kidding Biard God!!!--these analysis have usually been right on the money). Personally I would love to see Canseco back with us next year but where does he play?
I dont look for a work stoppage again---because I hope they have learned their collective lessons from 94.
And foulke aint going anywhere--you dont trade or get rid of one of the best CLOSERS in the game over the past 3 seasons

Tragg
08-26-2001, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

* Clayton has the right to demand a trade.

What gives him such a right? Freedom of speech? Okay.
Stellar play? Don't make me laugh.

Daver
08-26-2001, 12:33 PM
Why would they keep Foulke if they don't intend to pay him?

A 2 pitch pitcher is not worth 8 mil. a year.

LongDistanceFan
08-26-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
Why would they keep Foulke if they don't intend to pay him?

A 2 pitch pitcher is not worth 8 mil. a year.

you maybe right, but he has been effective and most importantly, we don't have a replacement for him just yet.

Would you rather see howry as the closer?

Daver
08-26-2001, 12:42 PM
No I would rather see Ed Almonte.

LongDistanceFan
08-26-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
No I would rather see Ed Almonte.

do you think he ready? I don't, not as a full time closer, but give him a yr as a setup man, let him learn. Lets not rush him. He is young. I do see him as the closer of the future, lets not ruin him and rush him.

Jerry_Manuel
08-26-2001, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
What gives him such a right? Freedom of speech? Okay.
Stellar play? Don't make me laugh.

Clayton can demand a trade because he was traded in the middle of his contract or something like that. Lets hope he does.