PDA

View Full Version : OMFG Cotts!

southsidegirl
08-22-2003, 11:07 PM
What can I say? Cottsy made a complete 180 from his first start giving up only 1 ER. I hope he stays around for a looooong time.

rmusacch
08-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
What can I say? Cottsy made a complete 180 from his first start giving up only 1 ER. I hope he stays around for a looooong time.

He pitched out of a couple jams and then Sullivan got him out of another. Well Done.

QueerGirrl
08-22-2003, 11:12 PM
Neal was great tonight! I have been on his case but he's making me eat my words.

Good thing my words taste like ice cream!

Go Neal and GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!

Huisj
08-22-2003, 11:16 PM
he did walk a few guys. he won, that's good. the walks weren't super though

konerkopeachy
08-22-2003, 11:25 PM
He redeemed himself out of two on, nobody out jams not once, but TWICE?

Surreal. I hope the kid sticks around for a long time.

Tragg
08-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
he did walk a few guys. he won, that's good. the walks weren't super though

Walks seem to be his bugaboo - except for walks, he's pitched well in all 3 of his outings. A little experience should take care of that - I remember Garland for 2 years, Fernandez for 2 years; only MB and McDowell came in ML ready. I'm optimistic.

On the other hand, I was optimistic about Scott Eyre - who also had trouble with walks - until the bitter end.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2003, 11:31 PM
In two of three starts he's kept the Sox in the game and given them a chance to win. That's very good news if he can keep it going.

He does need to do something about the walks though...sooner or later that's going to kill him.

Lip

Konerkoholic
08-23-2003, 12:23 AM
I like the kid's confidence. This guy goes right after ARod with those high fastballs. Cut down on the walks and get some tutelage from Buehrle and we've got a good one on our hands.

TornLabrum
08-23-2003, 12:29 AM
I already like him better than Danny Wright.

Hangar18
08-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Man, the kid was living on the edge all nite yesterday, with his Walks. Way too many for a ML starter. but he would then make the perfect pitch, and get himself out of a jam. His fastball is "sneaky" fast. I get the feeling he still doesnt Trust His Stuff all that much, as he couldnt get the curve going on a reg basis.
but WHAT I DID LIKE, is he would just LOCATE his pitch in a good enough spot, to get the guy out. THAT TO ME is good news, I think LOCATION is something a guy should have as 2nd Nature. He was a JunkYard Dog out there. I have to say that, because
he was junkballing effectively out there. I hope hes the 2nd coming of Jamie Moyer...

SoxOnTop
08-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I hope hes the 2nd coming of Jamie Moyer...

I hope not. Jamie took 12 years to finally blossom.

jabrch
08-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I have to say that, because he was junkballing effectively out there.

Junkballing? He was in the low 90s on almost every fastball. A few hit 95. He is no junkballer....

After seeing him now a bit, I like him. Agreed, he needs to cut the walks down to be effecitve for more than 5 innings. But that will come with time. He did strike out Pay-Rod twice...I like that. No fear.

And Sullivan came out and showed his mettle. He must be dang impossible for a righty to hit a HR off of. Submarine and a nice sweeping curve with a hard heater. I think Kenny did good - depending on what we paid for Sullivan. (I sure hope it is Hummell, that would be fine with me.)

kevingrt
08-23-2003, 11:22 AM
This is gonna be a weird thing that happens with this #5 spot come September. Jerry should probably keep Cotts at it, but he might move to a 5 man rotation, or he might bring somone up from the 40 man roster, to start a game and see how he does.

Very weird, but hopefully Cottsy can keep it up!

MHOUSE
08-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Cotts has kept us in the game the last two outings. I'm glad he got the W because he deserved it. The offense and bullpen has blown some games that Danny should have won. If Neal can cut down on the walks then we might have a solid pitcher coming through here. I loved the poise to work out of those jams. Very UN-Kip Wells. Go Cotts and Go SOX!

Hangar18
08-23-2003, 12:08 PM
wow, so he was Hitting upper 90's with the fastball huh?
Man, I was wondering how fast that thing was going. He looks good out there on the mound, like he belongs on the mound.
BUT....he better cut them walks down BigTime, because someones going to catch up to that fast ball soon enough....and we'll all be mad at him. The upside is that if he really learns to control that CurveBall, and learn to throw a good splitter (as someone here suggested) man, this guy could be special with his fastball.

MRKARNO
08-23-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm all in favor of letting Cotts stay in the rotation till the end of the year, considering we only need the fifth starter about 4 more times this year. He keeps us in games and we finally have a bullpen (full of sidearmers nonetheless) that can close the deal for up to 4-5 innings if we need them to.

southsidegirl
08-23-2003, 01:48 PM
I personally think that if you can pitch yourself out of jams like that, walks don't mean a thing. He only allowed 1 ER although he gave up 4 BB, the runs are the only thing that counts. Besides, he's easy on the eyes, we gotta keep him around. :smile: We have a lot of people in the bullpen who can take over if he isn't having a good outing. Danny Wright is used to pitching himself out of jams, so we should keep him in the bullpen to get Neil out of a jam. I think that Cottsy will settle down sooner or later.