PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts!


MarqSox
08-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I believe it's time for a BEER SHOWER!!
http://www.beerhk.com/image/z15.gif

doublem23
08-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Keep proving me an idiot, Neal... Keep proving...

HawkDJ
08-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Did anyone see his interview after the game? He couldn't have been less excited about his first major league win that kept the team in first place.

QueerGirrl
08-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Keep proving me an idiot, Neal... Keep proving...


Crow tastes just like chicken. I'm eating plenty of it.

konerkopeachy
08-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
Did anyone see his interview after the game? He couldn't have been less excited about his first major league win that kept the team in first place.

He's a shrinking violet! He then said that interview was perhaps the most anyone has heard him talk since he had gotten there....

34 Inch Stick
08-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Hey, that's too warm to be beer! :o: :o:

Anyway, I am happy to say I said from the beginning to give him three starts. He is hardly a world beater yet, but all we need is 5 innings and 3 runs or less every time out and I will be happy.

As with Crede and Garland, I think the average young player needs time and someone believing in him. But I am getting a little concerned with Borchard's progress.

jabrch
08-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Hey, that's too warm to be beer! :o: :o:

Anyway, I am happy to say I said from the beginning to give him three starts. He is hardly a world beater yet, but all we need is 5 innings and 3 runs or less every time out and I will be happy.

As with Crede and Garland, I think the average young player needs time and someone believing in him. But I am getting a little concerned with Borchard's progress.

I am glad we have been very patient with Crede. He is solid...not an all-star, but a solid 3B. And he is improving. It would be nice to see him put together a full season next year, rather than slump the first half, but I can deal with that. Garland has taken a lot of time, but he is looking like a good 3rd or 4th starter now. Not what we had initially hoped, but certainly worth more to us than Matt Karchner is/was.

As far as Borchard, I haven't seen enough of him to be worried. Let the kid play in the minors the rest of this season and then work his butt off in the winter. If he develops, great...if not, we can keep waiting, look at other OFs in the system, or go to the free agent market to address that spot. (Juan Pierre can be had this year - a leadoff hitter and a CF) We could move Robbie to his more natural 2 spot and have Carlos in more of an RBI spot... I also have been happy with Everett and would consider bringing him back or even giving Harris or Rowand a shot next year.

Borchard needs time...that's ok...that's what minor league systems are for. We need to stop trying to rush 1st round picks to the bigs. I think that is why some of our guys lack in the fundamentals...need to spend more time learning them in AA and AAA.

StillMissOzzie
08-26-2003, 02:03 AM
And even though I was at the game, I didn't see any of this until the picture in the paper the next day - Cotts getting interviewed while Buehrle & Wunsch sneak up on him to give him a shaving cream-filled towel in the face! Saw the creamy face on TV, though.

:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Keep proving me an idiot, Neal... Keep proving...

You will never have faith in people from ISU, will ya!!! This ISU alumnus is gonna make you envious...Of course, you're from Bradley U, so you're just jealous that ISU has a guy on the Sox ML roster and Bradley doesn't!!! :D:


Just to shed a bit of light on this...Neal Cotts is a VERY soft-spoken, shy guy. He is the last one to be cocky or vocal when praised. I'd praise him all the time when the two of us went to college together in 2000-2001, and all he'd do is smile. This is just Cotts and his total humility...You'll REALLY grow to like him!

jeremyb1
08-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
As with Crede and Garland, I think the average young player needs time and someone believing in him. But I am getting a little concerned with Borchard's progress.

Yeah well the key difference between Crede and Garland and Borchard is that with the excpetion of the one season in Birmingham where Crede was injured and Garland's first season in rookie ball with the Cubs, neither Garland nor Crede ever really struggled in the minors. The adjustment to the majors can be difficult so its good to have patience there but when a player struggles for multiple seasons in the minors as Borchard has, you have reason to lose patience.

Randar68
08-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
The adjustment to the majors can be difficult so its good to have patience there but when a player struggles for multiple seasons in the minors as Borchard has, you have reason to lose patience.

Except when they are battling nagging injuries the whole season. But hey, who would know that by looking at a stat sheet, right?

MisterB
08-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Yeah well the key difference between Crede and Garland and Borchard is that with the excpetion of the one season in Birmingham where Crede was injured and Garland's first season in rookie ball with the Cubs, neither Garland nor Crede ever really struggled in the minors. The adjustment to the majors can be difficult so its good to have patience there but when a player struggles for multiple seasons in the minors as Borchard has, you have reason to lose patience.

What 'multiple seasons' are you talking about? This year is the only one I'd consider bad.

I do have concerns about Borchard, though. His lopsided K/BB ratios would indicate a lack of strike zone judgement, a serious hole in his swing or both. The number of strikeouts aren't necessarily bad (to paraphrase the recently departed Bobby Bonds, "If I'm going to make 7 outs in every 10 at bats anyway, who cares how I make them"), the fact that his walk totals are low and his batting average is comparatively low, raises questions about his ability to hit major league pitching.