PDA

View Full Version : White Sox attendance


OurBitchinMinny
08-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Im not trying to piss anyone off, but what is the deal with the sox attendace. 18,000 when they have a chance to go into first place? I spend a lot of time defending the sox to twins fans, but the attendance is an area I have trouble with. Its not like the twins draw great, but they did have 30,000 yesterday against KC. But they have an excuse if they dont draw...They play inside in the damn metrodome. What was unbelievable was that yesterday it was a beautiful night out and they still drew that many. In my opinion comiskey park is a great stadium. Ive been to the dome comiskey and wrigley and comiskey is the best. Concessions are great, you can see the game when you are on the concourse. Ive been to comiskey probably about 20 times and have a good time whenver Im there. I just dont like seeing people ignore the sox nationally and say its a cubs town.

Rocky Soprano
08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I agree, its pathetic that we are not getting bigger crows. On the other hand when we do get huge crowds, theres a bunch of no good Flub fans in our park. If they sat down and enjoyed a real team it would be all good, but they dont. They are the fools that cause the fights and jump onto the field.

So I dont mind seeing a smaller crowd as long as we are not getting those retarded fans.

But 18K is pathetic! :whiner:

CHISOXFAN13
08-22-2003, 02:56 PM
I hate talking about the attendance issue because I have attended 32 games this season and will likely eclipse 40 by the end of the season.

Our attendance is up, and the schedule in Septemeber is favorable to drawing big crowds. Getting a quality seat to see the Red Sox/Yankees is already tough.

Dadawg_77
08-22-2003, 02:57 PM
1/2 nights skew the attendance numbers. Think about it, if you want to go to a Sox a can afford one game, do you go to 1/2 price night or a full price night? There are only two things that will really boost Sox attendance, one JR leaves two the Sox go to the Series, short of that this franchise will still be haunted by 94.

Rocky Soprano
08-22-2003, 03:01 PM
I think the prices are a little too steep for the bleachers and the UD. If we lowered them a bit, I would think more people would come out.

Its hard for a family of say 4 to come out and blow 80+ on just tickets another 15 to park and then about 60 for them to eat.

JR needs to lower the prices on the tickets and on parking!

OurBitchinMinny
08-22-2003, 03:07 PM
yeah I understand the prices being too high. I have no money and have trouble affording much of anything being a college student. I just wish they would draw more. I know JR is a pain in the ass and people dont like him and that adds to it too.

Rocky Soprano
08-22-2003, 03:09 PM
The biggest reason has to be the strike of 94. Had JR stayed out of it, The Sox would still be the biggest draw in the City.

Even if JR decides to sell and the tickets are lowered, the only way we will see big crowds is if we start winning. We need the team to get into the playoffs and win something.

But it is sad that they dont get the support they deserve.

A.T. Money
08-22-2003, 03:20 PM
I hold season tickets, so I did my part. I even went to a couple half price nights.

The tickets are expensive, especially for the upper deck. The real bad seats up there should go for 5 dollars each. 5 dollars per seat is better than ZERO dollars per seat.

Irishsox1
08-22-2003, 03:29 PM
First, Texas is a last or close to last place team from the west. Second, Sox fans show up when it matters. I'm saving up my money for the K.C., Minnesota and Yankees series. I also have the feeling that this season will be won in the last week. So, passing on a thursday night game isn't so bad. Anyways, I watched it on t.v.

hold2dibber
08-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
The biggest reason has to be the strike of 94. Had JR stayed out of it, The Sox would still be the biggest draw in the City.

I'd say it's the strike in '94 coupled with the White Flag in '97. That one-two punch told Sox fans all they needed to know about JR's commitment to winning (or lack thereof). Sox fans just don't trust the organization any more and many were so disenchanted by those two events that their love for the organization dwindled.

hold2dibber
08-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
Im not trying to piss anyone off, but what is the deal with the sox attendace. 18,000 when they have a chance to go into first place? I spend a lot of time defending the sox to twins fans, but the attendance is an area I have trouble with. Its not like the twins draw great, but they did have 30,000 yesterday against KC. But they have an excuse if they dont draw...They play inside in the damn metrodome. What was unbelievable was that yesterday it was a beautiful night out and they still drew that many. In my opinion comiskey park is a great stadium. Ive been to the dome comiskey and wrigley and comiskey is the best. Concessions are great, you can see the game when you are on the concourse. Ive been to comiskey probably about 20 times and have a good time whenver Im there. I just dont like seeing people ignore the sox nationally and say its a cubs town.

(1) The attendance over the last month or so has been outstanding, despite the rather disappointing crowds the last few nights.

(2) It was not beautiful out last night - it was down right unpleasant; about 94 and wicked humid at game time. It was truly uncomfortable to be outside.

(3) A lot of schools are back in session now - the Sox always draw much better on week nights when school is out.

(4) If they stay in contention, they'll draw really well the rest of the year. Lots of 1/2 price nights, weekend games, and desirable (from an attendance view point) opponents (e.g., Minn, KC, Yankees, BoSox).

(5) It is a Cubs town.

thepaulbowski
08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

But it is sad that they dont get the support they deserve.

I'm a season ticket holder, (so hypothetically) convince me to come to a game after losing 6 of 7 games to the worst teams in the AL west. It's not like everybody can drop what they are doing because the Sox won one or two games in a row. They don't get the support because as soon as they gain momentum, they ruin it. The Sox are their own worst enemy when it comes to this. Sox fans are hard working people who have families, jobs, etc. Sox fans only show up when the Sox win. And if you stink it up before a homestand....don't expect big crowds because poeple have better things to do. They Sox will get the support if the show that they are not just teasing Sox fans

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I'm a season ticket holder, (so hypothetically) convince me to come to a game after losing 6 of 7 games to the worst teams in the AL west. It's not like everybody can drop what they are doing because the Sox won one or two games in a row. They don't get the support because as soon as they gain momentum, they ruin it. The Sox are their own worst enemy when it comes to this. Sox fans are hard working people who have families, jobs, etc. Sox fans only show up when the Sox win. And if you stink it up before a homestand....don't expect big crowds because poeple have better things to do. They Sox will get the support if the show that they are not just teasing Sox fans

As I've been shouting for years now, if the Sox lose in April and May, forget about the fans showing up in huge numbers in June, July, and August. Can you imagine the crowds if Manuel hadn't squandered away all those games with his damned tinkering?

GoSox2K3
08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
The biggest problem is that the Sox now have a small fan base from which to draw from. JR has done plenty of things over the last 22 years to reduce that fan base. It started in the early 80s w/ getting rid of Harry and putting the Sox mostly on Pay TV and it continued through the White Flag trade. We've lost a whole generation of potential fans to the Cubs because of JR.

At this point so many people in Chicago are immersed in the sick cult called Cub Fandom, that it'll take a consistent winner on the South Side to build up our fan base.

That being said, I think a little too much is made out of the attendance issue. According to the numbers on the ESPN website, the Sox have about the same average attenance numbers as the Twins - a team that 1) went into the 2nd round of the playoffs last year 2) Have been in contention for more of this season than the Sox have and 3) do not share their home city with a monolithic evil empire.

Yes, I wish they were drawing 30k+ every night. But, I'm not going to worry too much about them drawing only 18-20k in the middle of the week against a last place team.

MarqSox
08-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
As I've been shouting for years now, if the Sox lose in April and May, forget about the fans showing up in huge numbers in June, July, and August. Can you imagine the crowds if Manuel hadn't squandered away all those games with his damned tinkering?

Yeah, I can imagine them ... In fact, it happened in 2000. I believe the crowds aren't a whole lot different than they were then.

MarqSox
08-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
That being said, I think a little too much is made out of the attendance issue. According to the numbers on the ESPN website, the Sox have about the same average attenance numbers as the Twins - a team that 1) went into the 2nd round of the playoffs last year 2) Have been in contention for more of this season than the Sox have and 3) do not share their home city with a monolithic evil empire.
I'd really rather not compare attendance numbers with a team that nearly got contracted.

GoSox2K3
08-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'd really rather not compare attendance numbers with a team that nearly got contracted.

The Twins didn't deserve to be considered for contraction. They can compete and can draw well. They are not the Expos.
If I remember correctly, one of the problems was their cheap owner wanted to cash in.

hold2dibber
08-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
The biggest problem is that the Sox now have a small fan base from which to draw from. JR has done plenty of things over the last 22 years to reduce that fan base. It started in the early 80s w/ getting rid of Harry and putting the Sox mostly on Pay TV and it continued through the White Flag trade. We've lost a whole generation of potential fans to the Cubs because of JR.

At this point so many people in Chicago are immersed in the sick cult called Cub Fandom, that it'll take a consistent winner on the South Side to build up our fan base.

That being said, I think a little too much is made out of the attendance issue. According to the numbers on the ESPN website, the Sox have about the same average attenance numbers as the Twins - a team that 1) went into the 2nd round of the playoffs last year 2) Have been in contention for more of this season than the Sox have and 3) do not share their home city with a monolithic evil empire.

Yes, I wish they were drawing 30k+ every night. But, I'm not going to worry too much about them drawing only 18-20k in the middle of the week against a last place team.

I agree 100%. You hit the nail on the head. And for those who don't like the Twins comparison, the fact is that the Sox truly are (because of mis-management over the past 22 years) a small market club. Thankfully, they have a little advantage over the "true" small market clubs in that (1) they earn more from their broadcasting rights because of the size of the Chicago market; and (2) because they're actually in a large market, if the team does well, and or if JR sells the team, they can return to "large market" status, as they were in the early 90s.