PDA

View Full Version : Small Schedule Nuances

Lip Man 1
08-22-2003, 01:06 PM
I was looking closely at the remaining Sox schedule and noticed two small things that could turn out to be very important if this race stays as close as it is now.

The Sox play Minnesota seven times but four of those games are in Chicago (instead of Kansas City where four are on the road) This could be important because the Twins play very well in their quirky ballpark where the Sox usually are the victim of bloops, bunts and funny bounces. Overall it seems like the Sox play better in K.C. then in the Twin Cities.

The Yankee series is slated for September 22, 23, 24. It's very possible New York will have wrapped up the division by then and Joe Torre may be resting some or all of his regulars. It's possible the Sox might steal a game or two that they normally wouldn't.

It looks like a game or two could make all the difference in the world.

Just submitted for discussion.

Lip

hold2dibber
08-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Trying to predict the future with this team is awfully tough. I'd have to take a closer look at the KC and Minn. schedules to take any position regarding whether the Sox have an advantage in that department. Personally, I think it is going to be a 3 horse race all the way to the finish, and I have no idea who is going to win it (although I suppose I feel KC is the least likely to do so - but I do think they'll be in the hunt 'til the end).

TraderTim
08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
I think the closer this race is, the better it will be for the Sox IF they win in the end. Let them earn it and forge the playoff bound team in the fire of this tight race.

Forkit!

MRKARNO
08-22-2003, 01:49 PM
WOulldnt it be nice if the sox went into Yankee stadium and made a statement by sweeping the yanks???

It'd be a little hard as neal cotts is the starting pitcher for the last game against the moose, but that would really help his career if he beat mussina

They should have buehrle go on four day's rest and have cotts pitch in detroit

RKMeibalane
08-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
WOulldnt it be nice if the sox went into Yankee stadium and made a statement by sweeping the yanks???

It'd be a little hard as neal cotts is the starting pitcher for the last game against the moose, but that would really help his career if he beat mussina

They will their chance to do exactly that next week, starting on Tuesday.

CHISOXFAN13
08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Who is to say Burthle beats Mussina??? Then what?

jegillenwater
08-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I like the Sox chances against the Yankees. Remember how we killed them at the Stadium in 2000. The Yankee bullpen is a bit shakey as well.

Besides the Sox seem to step it up against tough teams (minus the Seattle series at Safeco).

Not sure how it matches up but lets hope Weaver is still in the rotation for the Yankees.

doublem23
08-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Jesus Christ Lip, what do you do in your free time? Kick puppies and babies? The Sox are in first place on August 22. Yeah, so we have a tougher schedule than the Twins or Royals, but come on, man. Live the excitement and fun of a pennant chase. Maybe I'm too young and "naive," but I don't care. I can count the times I remember this late in the year that the Sox weren't completely out of it or had all but sealed the deal on 1 hand.

Why waste time worrying about the future when the present is so much fun?

GO WHITE SOX

Foulke You
08-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The Yankee series is slated for September 22, 23, 24. It's very possible New York will have wrapped up the division by then and Joe Torre may be resting some or all of his regulars. It's possible the Sox might steal a game or two that they normally wouldn't.
Lip

I thought about that Yankee home series as well Lip. There are a few different scenarios that play out. The best case would be to have the Yanks having their division wrapped up by then. Of course, they also could have their magic number around 2 or 3 when they face the Sox and could be eager to clinch and start planning their playoff rotation. Worst case scenario has Boston tied with NY or 1 game out when they come to Chicago. The Yanks would be out for blood then and it could be a real tough series for our Sox. I do know that the park will be full (lower deck already sold out for that series) and it should be exciting to play the Yankees at home during the last home series and have it count for something.

Iwritecode
08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

They should have buehrle go on four day's rest and have cotts pitch in detroit

With the 25th being an off day, Burly will more than likely be the pitcher in that last game. Remember, in a 5-man rotation, four day's rest is normal. 5 days rest is on extra day.

Iwritecode
08-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I was looking closely at the remaining Sox schedule and noticed two small things that could turn out to be very important if this race stays as close as it is now.

The Sox play Minnesota seven times but four of those games are in Chicago (instead of Kansas City where four are on the road) This could be important because the Twins play very well in their quirky ballpark where the Sox usually are the victim of bloops, bunts and funny bounces. Overall it seems like the Sox play better in K.C. then in the Twin Cities.

It looks like a game or two could make all the difference in the world.

Just submitted for discussion.

Lip

The Sox have played a little better in Minny this year than the past few. Also, the Twinkies aren't nearly as dominant at home this year as they have been in past years.

I think a big part of the Sox bad road record this year is because of the horrible games in Anahiem, Oakland and Seattle. I don't have the stats in front of me but I would bet that there road record would look a lot better if they had managed even .500 on the west coast.

One more thing to consider, even though KC has an easier schedule with the teams they play, they have long ten game road trip through Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago and an odd make-up game at home against the D-backs. They have to come home from Texas, play that one game, then head to Anaheim to play the next day...