PDA

View Full Version : Reds Reaction to Sullivan Trade

fledgedrallycap
08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Some interesting reactions to the Sullivan trade by the Red players and Sullivan himself from the Cincinnati Post. This guy was a Saint over there, let's hope it continues on the Southside.

"It's a joke," he said. "Sully is the kind of guy you keep around. It makes me sick, it really does. That guy has bent over for this organization year after year. He gets the chance to win now, but for me, he has been a teacher. He's a model citizen, and he knows how to treat people. For a lot of the guys in this room, it's a bad day, a really bad day. He is truly a class act."

"I think it's terrible," LaRue said. "The guy is more than money. He's a valuable leader. He's a valuable guy to have on a team. He brings more to this team than anybody probably knows, especially what he did those four years when he led the league in innings. Even if he was dying of (pain), he went out there on the field and did whatever he could to help this team win. That says something about somebody. People like that are (rare), and the White Sox should feel very lucky they're getting a guy like that."

Graves:
I don't know if I can talk," he said, gasping for breath. "I found out about it when I came out (for a pinch hitter in the top of the sixth). I heard Barry (Larkin) ask somebody who he got traded for, and I about threw up. Sully has been my best friend in Cincinnati since we have been here. I don't know how to think of it. If you ask me (today), I will probably have more to say about it."

Sullivan himself:

"I have mixed emotions," Sullivan said. "The first thing I did was call my wife and tell her. She is tremendously supportive, and she's excited, but she has the same feelings I have. Cincinnati is the only place I know. I got drafted by this organization in 1993. It's a great organization, and I have a lot of great friends on this team. But I'm also excited that I'm going to be in a pennant race, and I look forward to doing everything I possibly can to help the White Sox with their goal of winning the division."

cheeses_h_rice
08-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Dang. Dude sounds like a gamer!

Wow. I am feeling pretty optimistic this morning. You guys feeling it too?

soxtalker
08-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Some interesting reactions to the Sullivan trade by the Red players and Sullivan himself from the Cincinnati Post. This guy was a Saint over there, let's hope it continues on the Southside.

"It's a joke," he said. "Sully is the kind of guy you keep around. It makes me sick, it really does. That guy has bent over for this organization year after year. He gets the chance to win now, but for me, he has been a teacher. He's a model citizen, and he knows how to treat people.

I like the comment about being a teacher. Although many on this board don't have very warm feelings toward David Wells, I've always thought that he was a good influence on the young pitchers -- particularly Mark Buerhle.

FJA
08-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I like the comment about being a teacher. Although many on this board don't have very warm feelings toward David Wells, I've always thought that he was a good influence on the young pitchers -- particularly Mark Buerhle.

We paid Wells way too much for how mediocre he was with us, he could have shed a few pounds for us like he did when he went back to the Yankees, and he could have kept his mouth shut about Frank--not a way to win over hearts--but all that being said, he was a very good veteran presence with the young pitchers.

FJA
08-22-2003, 10:52 AM

"It's a joke," he said. "Sully is the kind of guy you keep around. It makes me sick, it really does. That guy has bent over for this organization year after year. He gets the chance to win now, but for me, he has been a teacher. He's a model citizen, and he knows how to treat people. For a lot of the guys in this room, it's a bad day, a really bad day. He is truly a class act."

"I think it's terrible," LaRue said. "The guy is more than money. He's a valuable leader. He's a valuable guy to have on a team. He brings more to this team than anybody probably knows, especially what he did those four years when he led the league in innings. Even if he was dying of (pain), he went out there on the field and did whatever he could to help this team win. That says something about somebody. People like that are (rare), and the White Sox should feel very lucky they're getting a guy like that."

Graves:
I don't know if I can talk," he said, gasping for breath. "I found out about it when I came out (for a pinch hitter in the top of the sixth). I heard Barry (Larkin) ask somebody who he got traded for, and I about threw up. Sully has been my best friend in Cincinnati since we have been here. I don't know how to think of it. If you ask me (today), I will probably have more to say about it."

Sullivan himself:

"I have mixed emotions," Sullivan said. "The first thing I did was call my wife and tell her. She is tremendously supportive, and she's excited, but she has the same feelings I have. Cincinnati is the only place I know. I got drafted by this organization in 1993. It's a great organization, and I have a lot of great friends on this team. But I'm also excited that I'm going to be in a pennant race, and I look forward to doing everything I possibly can to help the White Sox with their goal of winning the division."

I feel really bad for the guys that have to stick around on the Reds. This wasn't a team that was pasted together before the season ... no one shed a tear when Kenny Lofton was traded from the Sox last year. But the Reds--many of them had been together since the minors, and now they're all being sold off to different teams.

QueerGirrl
08-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Dang. Dude sounds like a gamer!

Wow. I am feeling pretty optimistic this morning. You guys feeling it too?

After reading that and seeing his stats on the road, I'm damn....

:)

adsit
08-22-2003, 11:01 AM
It sounds good and feels good so far (still a bit nervous about who we might be giving up for this guy, and whether we'll be able to hang onto him if it turns out we want to). The only other concern I have is the habit of NL pitchers taking dirt naps when wearing AL uniforms. Williamson isn't exactly burning down the house over here in Boston, for example.

Still gotta admire the respect Sullivan's earned, and the attitude he has. Even if he's another potato chef for us, I like him already. Will he be with us tonight?

MHOUSE
08-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow he sounds like a class act and a great guy and player. I also feel terrible for the players on the Reds and the fans of that ballclub. Their team was supposed to be in the race over there and a few losses pile up and suddenly everyone is gone. Their pitching staff is in shambles and all their good relievers are gone. Boone is gone and Junior is hurt again. Gotta be tough going, especially when they haven't gotten much in return.

FJA
08-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Wow he sounds like a class act and a great guy and player. I also feel terrible for the players on the Reds and the fans of that ballclub. Their team was supposed to be in the race over there and a few losses pile up and suddenly everyone is gone. Their pitching staff is in shambles and all their good relievers are gone. Boone is gone and Junior is hurt again. Gotta be tough going, especially when they haven't gotten much in return.

Don't worry; Pete Rose managing again will make everything better.

fledgedrallycap
08-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by adsit
It sounds good and feels good so far (still a bit nervous about who we might be giving up for this guy, and whether we'll be able to hang onto him if it turns out we want to). The only other concern I have is the habit of NL pitchers taking dirt naps when wearing AL uniforms. Williamson isn't exactly burning down the house over here in Boston, for example.

Still gotta admire the respect Sullivan's earned, and the attitude he has. Even if he's another potato chef for us, I like him already. Will he be with us tonight?

The Cincy Paper indicated that Tim Hummell is being shipped out.

sox_fan_forever
08-22-2003, 11:22 AM
If it really is Hummel this deal's a steal.

Hangar18
08-22-2003, 11:29 AM
The Cincy Paper indicated that Tim Hummell is being shipped out.

NO WAY! are you sure? (sigh of relief)

fledgedrallycap
08-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Yup...

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/08/22/reds08-22-2003.html

"The player to be named will be Tim Hummel, a third baseman for the White Sox's Class AAA Charlotte affiliate, according to two industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. One source said the cash was equal to roughly half Sullivan's remaining salary, a prorated share of $2.8 million. "

MisterB
08-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Yup...

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/08/22/reds08-22-2003.html

"The player to be named will be Tim Hummel, a third baseman for the White Sox's Class AAA Charlotte affiliate, according to two industry sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. One source said the cash was equal to roughly half Sullivan's remaining salary, a prorated share of $2.8 million. "

Any Cincy fans that don't double-check the stats may be overly optimistic on Hummel, due to the typo:

A 6-foot-2, 214-pound power hitter, he batted .284 at Charlotte this season, with 25 homers, 15 doubles , 78 RBI and nine stolen bases.

Hummel has 25 doubles and 15 home runs.

Effigy
08-22-2003, 03:06 PM
. Gotta be tough going, especially when they haven't gotten much in return. Well that's a lie.

Seriously, Red fans aren't that upset. Yes, we were promised to win in 2003, that didn't happen - what's new. But after all of these trades, we are more optimistic than ever. You guys are making it sound worse than it is.

Sully: Injury problems. A great guy, a great leader, but Reds fans WANTED him gone because of: money, injuries. We saw it coming, we didn't know when or who. But let make me this statement, we all will terribly miss him, don't get me wrong - but it had to be done, and real reds fans understand. If it's Hummel we get, then it's an ok deal. 15 HR, .280+ AVG isn't that bad in Triple A, we need a 3rd basemen and we got one.

Boone: Again, a great guy - but overrated. Very streaky. He'll look like the best player on the team for a few weeks, then look like Paul Konerko for a few months. He swings at everything, and after his dad was fired, he obviously wanted out. He'll end up in Seattle with Bret next year, IMO. I don't think the Yankee money will stop him from going to play with his brother. If Seattle is smart, they'll sign Bob Boone as a coach of some sort, and it'll make it even easier to get Aaron. We totally robbed the Yankees. Brandon Clausseen has the stuff of an ace, and Charlie Manning .. the throw in prospect has been dominate so far. 4-0 1.25 ERA in the system so far.

White: Too much money. Was great the first half, but injures held him down. Had to be gone. No problem in losing him.

Merker: He has hinted he will return to the Reds next year, but even if he doesn't - it's not a big lose. We got a nice prospect in return.

Guillen: No plans with the Reds. Wasn't gonna get resigned, we got a very good prospect closer in return, you guys know him, and we got Aaron Harang, who .. has looked brillant. His minor league numbers are great, and so far with the Reds he's 3-0 with a 2+ era.

Williamson: Wildy Willy, yes. We all loved him, no doubt - and this was one guy we didn't want to see go, but it happened. Dumatrait is a good prospect, and we'll have to wait and see how this works out. He WAS expandable tho. Saved alot of money.

Now, with all the money we saved we'll most likely go after a pitcher on the FA market; and we'll have alot of money to play with. Plus, we got a MUCH better rotation for next year, and everything is looking fine.

I am no way losing sleep with these trades. I am actually gaining sleep. The future is looking bright, and with Bowden gone - it looks even brighter.

maurice
08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Gotta be tough going, especially when they haven't gotten much in return.

Originally posted by Effigy
Well that's a lie.

That's a pretty harsh overstatement, Effigy. Assuming MHOUSE meant that the Reds didn't get much back in the way of players (which is how I read it), he's correct. The Reds turned down better players to get more money. Whether they spend the money wisely (or even at all) remains to be seen.

In particular, Hummel is not exactly a blue chip prospect. IMHO, he projects to no more than about a .260 hitter with a bit of patience, a bit of power, a bit of speed, and a decent glove. He also tends to start off slowly, so if he makes the team out of spring training, he's a good candidate to struggle and get sent back down.

Effigy
08-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by maurice
That's a pretty harsh overstatement, Effigy. Assuming MHOUSE meant that the Reds didn't get much back in the way of players (which is how I read it), he's correct. The Reds turned down better players to get more money. Whether they spend the money wisely (or even at all) remains to be seen.

In particular, Hummel is not exactly a blue chip prospect. IMHO, he projects to no more than about a .260 hitter with a bit of patience, a bit of power, a bit of speed, and a decent glove. He also tends to start off slowly, so if he makes the team out of spring training, he's a good candidate to struggle and get sent back down. I was talking about all trades, not this Sox trade.