PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the day, 8/22

FJA
08-22-2003, 10:13 AM
"I DON'T MESS WITH HALL OF FAMERS."
--Jerry Manuel explaining to reporters why he doesn't give Roberto Alomar a hard time about sliding into first base

Hey Jerry ... what about this guy:

:hurt

"He's right. By the time he's done with me, I might NOT be a hall of famer."

voodoochile
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by FJA
"I DON'T MESS WITH HALL OF FAMERS."
--Jerry Manuel explaining to reporters why he doesn't give Roberto Alomar a hard time about sliding into first base

Hey Jerry ... what about this guy:

"He's right. By the time he's done with me, I might NOT be a hall of famer."

I saw that too and this was my exact thought. Too funny...

JRIG
08-22-2003, 10:26 AM
"No, I don't mess with Hall of Famers. I leave them alone. I let them do their thing."

Manuel in the Chicago Tribune, 8/22, regarding getting Roberto Alomar to stop sliding headfirst into 1st base.

"Whatchoo talkin' bout, Jerry?"

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I saw that too and this was my exact thought. Too funny...

Terry Bevington was fired for being unable to keep his foot out of his mouth when addressing the media. Who can deny Jerry Manuel is standing shoulder to shoulder with his predecessor on this front?

Pure gibberish---------------->:jerry

maurice
08-22-2003, 11:40 AM
I agree that JM shouldn't try to tell Robbie (or Frank) how to play the game, but the whole sliding into first thing has bugged me for years. Leaving your feet slows you down and seriously increases the chance of injury. You should only slide into first to avoid a tag.

But Alomar always has been comfortable with the technique, comparing it to a track runner who stretches his body forward to reach the finish tape.

Leaning forward for the tape does not require you to stop running and place your chest on the ground.

"Why do you dive for a ball fielding? Because it extends your reach,'' said Alomar, who was a sprinter in high school.

No, you dive because the ball is on the ground, and you can't catch the ball with your foot. OTOH, you can (and should) touch first base with your foot.