PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Caray?

MarqSox
08-22-2003, 07:52 AM
From today's Chicago Tribune White Sox notes ...

Hawk walks the talk

More and more White Sox fans are turning toward the TV booth during the seventh-inning stretch at U.S. Cellular Field.

They wave to Hawk Harrelson while organist Nancy Faust plays the familiar tune. Harrelson doesn't conduct, but does sing—yes, he knows the words, Ozzy. Hawk has ideas for livening up the stretch at home, but he's keeping those under his hat.

"What the [heck]," he said. "We're all here to have fun."
Interesting ... Anybody know anything on this front?

A.T. Money
08-22-2003, 08:38 AM
He and DJ stand up there, wave to people, Hawk rubs his melon, and they sing. Hawk holds a microphone, but I think it's just a prop, because you couldn't hear anything. I was sitting right behind the plate for this, so I saw firsthand.

DrCrawdad
08-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
From today's Chicago Tribune White Sox notes ...

Interesting ... Anybody know anything on this front?

Oh, I hope the Sox would have Hawk reinstate the tradition were it began...on the Southside.

It would liven things up at The Cell. Plus it would completely piss-off Cub fans. And that's not a bad thing! They can have their so-called celebrity/info-mercial TMOTTBG and we'll have the Hawk.

TO ANY SOX EMPLOYEES READING THIS...

GIVE THE HAWK THE MICROPHONE! PUT HAWK UP ON THE BOARD...YES!

GoSox2K3
08-22-2003, 10:56 AM
I would love to see this tradition return to it's home. It's unbelievable that Reinsdorf just totally gave this tradition away to the Cubs when he bought the team.

Hey, if this catches on, how much you wanna bet that 99.9% of Cub fans will accuse the Sox of stealing THEIR tradition! Maybe a few of our favorite sports reports/columnists will say the same thing.

I'm glad the Cub's celebrity 7th inning stretch is starting to get some much deserved bad publicity. I guess Ozzy was just too much for some people.

sox_fan_forever
08-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Hey, if this catches on, how much you wanna bet that 99.9% of Cub fans will accuse the Sox of stealing THEIR tradition!

99.9%....I'm thinking more like 100%. lol

SaltyPretzel
08-22-2003, 11:33 AM
I would love to see this tradition return to it's home. It's unbelievable that Reinsdorf just totally gave this tradition away to the Cubs when he bought the team.

I remember in the early to mid '80's that someone lead the 7th inning stretch, but it was pretty brutal. I forget who it was.

DrCrawdad
08-22-2003, 11:35 AM

Hey, if this catches on, how much you wanna bet that 99.9% of Cub fans will accuse the Sox of stealing THEIR tradition! Maybe a few of our favorite sports reports/columnists will say the same thing.

I'm glad the Cub's celebrity 7th inning stretch is starting to get some much deserved bad publicity. I guess Ozzy was just too much for some people.

And you know who one of the Cubbie fans who will undoubtedly make that accusation?

http://www.networkirc.com/grobber/images/les1000sm.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Hawk possesses the single most important ingredient to doing a successful rendition of Take Me Out to the Ballgame... a big ego. :smile:

I think most Sox Fans would greatly enjoy bringing back this old tradition, just like I think most of us want Nancy Faust to be given more organ time, too.

It would be truly great for the Chicago media to have to take all the Flubbie fans to school over how the seventh inning sing-a-long tradition started with Nancy and Harry back at Old Comiskey in the 70's. The clueless, loud-mouth Flub fans would reveal themselves as the ignorant clods of the Cubune's propaganda yet again.

:chimp
"Another fake home run ball... err... I mean OPPONENT'S home run ball is thrown back by the Wrigley Faithful!"

:santo
"Good news, Cubs Fans. The Cubs have announced that they will have everything they need to win a division crown just as soon as all Cubs fans empty their savings accounts and send it all in to Cubune Tower on N. Michigan Avenue. Hey Pat, can you repeat that address again for all our listeners..."

:lynch&mcfail
"The 7th inning sing-a-long was created by Harry, then given to Sammy and Barney to continue forever! We even have photographic proof!"

:barney&sham

RKMeibalane
08-22-2003, 12:10 PM
I know exactly who could sing...

:hitless

Reichardt
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I remember in the early to mid '80's that someone lead the 7th inning stretch, but it was pretty brutal. I forget who it was.

I think it was Roger Scanlon??? or something like that and it WAS brutal.

Nick@Nite
08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It would be truly great for the Chicago media to have to take all the Flubbie fans to school over how the seventh inning sing-a-long tradition started with Nancy and Harry back at Old Comiskey in the 70's. The clueless, loud-mouth Flub fans would reveal themselves as the ignorant clods of the Cubune's propaganda yet again.

:chimp
"Another fake home run ball... err... I mean OPPONENT'S home run ball is thrown back by the Wrigley Faithful!"

:santo
"Good news, Cubs Fans. The Cubs have announced that they will have everything they need to win a division crown just as soon as all Cubs fans empty their savings accounts and send it all in to Cubune Tower on N. Michigan Avenue. Hey Pat, can you repeat that address again for all our listeners..."

"The 7th inning sing-a-long was created by Harry, then given to Sammy and Barney to continue forever! We even have photographic proof!"

:barney&sham

*****!!!

SoxFan76
08-22-2003, 05:50 PM
while we are taking back what is rightfully ours, lets take back sosa! wait, maybe thats not a good idea. how about taking back the man carrying on the caray name! wait, maybe thats not a good idea either. steve stone played for the sox.....but they can keep him.

maybe we dont need to take stuff back from the cubs.

but the 7th inning stretch on the southside would be sweet.

Foulke You
08-22-2003, 06:24 PM

I can guarantee that most Flub fans would accuse us of stealing their tradition even though it was ours to begin with. Heck, I heard mutterings during the crosstown series about us having Nancy do the 7th inning stretch. I think Torn Labrum said the Cub guy behind him during the crosstown series said "How Original!" when Nancy started to play. The idiots think they invented the 7th inning stretch!

Give the mic to the Hawkeroo. We need all the good karma we can get at The Cell. He can end the song like with "Let's put one on the boooooooaard YES!!!"

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I can guarantee that most Flub fans would accuse us of stealing their tradition even though it was ours to begin with. Heck, I heard mutterings during the crosstown series about us having Nancy do the 7th inning stretch. I think Torn Labrum said the Cub guy behind him during the crosstown series said "How Original!" when Nancy started to play. The idiots think they invented the 7th inning stretch!

Give the mic to the Hawkeroo. We need all the good karma we can get at The Cell. He can end the song like with "Let's put one on the boooooooaard YES!!!"

Yup...the story attributed to me is true. Here's another one I was told recently:

A Cubs fan told an acquaintance of mine the Harry Caray wrote "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" in 1982 to sing at Wrigley Field. I'm sure Albert Von Tilzer and Jack Norworth, who wrote the song in 1908, would have been surprised to hear that.

RKMeibalane
08-22-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Yup...the story attributed to me is true. Here's another one I was told recently:

A Cubs fan told an acquaintance of mine the Harry Caray wrote "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" in 1982 to sing at Wrigley Field. I'm sure Albert Von Tilzer and Jack Norworth, who wrote the song in 1908, would have been surprised to hear that.

Cubs fans are stupid people. They are so stupid. What's sad is that people actually feel sympathy towards Cubs fans. I don't feel sorry for them at all. I feel sorry for the people who have to put up with them all the time. That includes but is not limited to Astros fans, Cardinals fans, us, and anyone else unfortunate enough to be near Wrigley Field during baseball season.

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 06:48 PM
If anybody's Cubs fan friends are intelligent enough to use a computer, something that is unlikely, I admit, and they believe the "TMOTTBG" guff we've been decrying here, have them use this link:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_stmo.shtml

I'll include a couple of interesting items, one regarding the Cubs, and their only link to the song that doesn't originate with the White Sox, and one about the actual start of the tradition.

On the fiftieth anniversary of his song, Major League Baseball, Inc. presented Jack Norworth — who attended his first Major League ballgame on June 27, 1940 (Brooklyn Dodgers 5 vs. Chicago Cubs 4) — with a gold lifetime ball park pass.

Of course the Cubs lost. Could it have been any other way?

Harry Caray, who is credited with singing it first at a ball game in 1971, once said, "I would always sing it, because I think it's the only song I knew the words to!" On Opening Day in 1976 Bill Veeck noticed the fans were singing along with Caray so a secret microphone was placed in the broadcast booth the following day to allow ALL the fans to hear him. Veeck explained to Caray, "Harry, anybody in the ballpark hearing you sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game knows that he can sing as well as you can. Probably better than you can. So he or she sings along. Hell, if you had a good singing voice you'd intimidate them, and nobody would join in!"

There's only one thing I think may be wrong with this story, and I'll have to check with Nancy next time I see her. I think the 1971 date should apply to the first time she played it at Comiskey Park, the year she was hired.

As for the rest of the story, I don't recall Bill Veeck ever owning the Cubs.

MarqSox
08-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
If anybody's Cubs fan friends are intelligent enough to use a computer, something that is unlikely, I admit, and they believe the "TMOTTBG" guff we've been decrying here, have them use this link:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_stmo.shtml

I'll include a couple of interesting items, one regarding the Cubs, and their only link to the song that doesn't originate with the White Sox, and one about the actual start of the tradition.

Of course the Cubs lost. Could it have been any other way?

There's only one thing I think may be wrong with this story, and I'll have to check with Nancy next time I see her. I think the 1971 date should apply to the first time she played it at Comiskey Park, the year she was hired.

As for the rest of the story, I don't recall Bill Veeck ever owning the Cubs.
I don't know if he ever owned them or not, but I know he did have a front office position with them at one point.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 07:16 PM
I don't know if he ever owned them or not, but I know he did have a front office position with them at one point.

Correct. He worked at his daddy's heel on Bill Wrigley, Sr.'s Flubbie plantation. Veeck left the Flubs front office and bought the minor league Milwaukee Brewers, his very first stint as an owner. He later bought the Indians, the Browns, and the White Sox (twice).

Veeck swore off the Cubs right up until he felt smeared by Eddie and Jerry's comments about "building a first-class organ-EYE-zation" after he sold them the Sox. He started sitting in the Flubbie bleachers at the Urinal and the Cubune propaganda machine cranked it up into high gear. Now morons all across the country associate Veeck with the Cubs, the ivy, and the old scoreboard rather than his far greater accomplishments in Cleveland, St. Louis, and on the South Side.

If Sox Fans didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all.

:muddy
"That sounds like something I would say. And I was a Sox Fan, too!"

JohnJeter
08-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Cub fans care much less about the Sox' fortunes than do Sox fans about the Cubs' fortunes.

Maybe it's a "neglected offspring" attitude at work or something.

Suggesting that all Cub fans have no knowledge of the game, are oblivious to the nuances of the game, etc. is as silly as claiming that all Sox fans are shirtless mullethaids. Sorry, the Cubs have a bunch of hard-core, knowledgeable fans, probably more than do the Sox, just by the sheer numbers. Maybe they're just harder to find amidst the sea of casual/tourist/beergarden fans.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Cub fans care much less about the Sox' fortunes than do Sox fans about the Cubs' fortunes.

Maybe it's a "neglected offspring" attitude at work or something.

Suggesting that all Cub fans have no knowledge of the game, are oblivious to the nuances of the game, etc. is as silly as claiming that all Sox fans are shirtless mullethaids. Sorry, the Cubs have a bunch of hard-core, knowledgeable fans, probably more than do the Sox, just by the sheer numbers. Maybe they're just harder to find amidst the sea of casual/tourist/beergarden fans.

I know of exactly one intelligent Cubs fan, Vic who posts here regularly. If there is some vast sea of knowledgeable Cubs fans lost in an ocean of ignorant tourists, they sure do a good job of hiding.

"Besides, we PREFER them to be ignorant. It make our own incompetence that much easier to excuse!"

JohnJeter
08-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Check out the World Crossing Cub board, especially the play-by-play thread and the 2003 Cubs thread.

Those guys are brutal on everything from Dusty to their players to TribCo and beyond, and are often just as funny in their putdowns as people who post to Sox forums.

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 11:43 PM

His dad ran the Cubs in the '30s under Wrigley.

doublem23
08-22-2003, 11:47 PM
In all my life, I have run across 1 Cub fan who had the slightest idea of what was going on in a baseball game... He's an 85-year old man who has been watching them since the Great Depression.

Other than that (and Vic), they're all pretty silly.

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
In all my life, I have run across 1 Cub fan who had the slightest idea of what was going on in a baseball game... He's an 85-year old man who has been watching them since the Great Depression.

Other than that (and Vic), they're all pretty silly.

I have an aunt who can intelligently discuss the Cubs. In fact the reason she became a Cubs fan was to be able to argue with my grandpa, who was a Sox fan. (Gotta be the Irish side of the family responsible for that!)

Sadly, she lives in Colorado Springs, so I don't get much of a chance to get my digs in except for her annual visits out this way.