PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds is amazing.

MarkEdward
08-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Wow. Another walk-off home run. Words just can't describe...

The guy is very fun to watch.

cheeses_h_rice
08-22-2003, 01:30 AM
:nandrolone

Wait, did someone say my name?

No? OK, I'll shut up then.

MRKARNO
08-22-2003, 01:30 AM
I saw it on TBS, the only reason I was watching because I thought he would do it. Any pitch in the strike zone for him is gone, but we struck him out a few times here so that's good (he also hit homers in all 3 games here)

Jjav829
08-22-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I saw it on TBS, the only reason I was watching because I thought he would do it. Any pitch in the strike zone for him is gone, but we struck him out a few times here so that's good (he also hit homers in all 3 games here)

No kidding. I was watching the game Tuesday night on TBS and when he came up I said to myself "Hes gonna end it right here". Sure enough, a few pitches later he jacks one out of the park to win it. Steroids or not, the guy is unbelievable.

fquaye149
08-22-2003, 07:29 AM
say waht you want about stats, babe ruth's swing was never that sweet

FJA
08-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
No kidding. I was watching the game Tuesday night on TBS and when he came up I said to myself "Hes gonna end it right here". Sure enough, a few pitches later he jacks one out of the park to win it. Steroids or not, the guy is unbelievable.

I would be extremely surprised if it ever came out Bonds was on steroids. Several former and current teammates have been quoted as saying he's a really hard worker.

Gary Sheffield--maybe not the most reliable source, but a source nonetheless--has said he used to work out with Bonds, and he works really hard in the weight room and to keep in shape. He followed up that comment with something to the effect of "Now, Sosa ... draw your own conclusions there" (with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Bonds' size increase does, in fact, look more like the result of what Sheffield is talking about, while Sham-Me ... well, like Sheffield said, "draw your own conclusions there" (shrunken head).

I love watching Bonds, though. I can understand why some people hate him (attitude), but anyone who says he isn't fun to watch play the game either doesn't know anything about the game or is blinded by bias.

Procol Harum
08-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
say waht you want about stats, babe ruth's swing was never that sweet

No dissin' of Bonds, but you base that statement on.....what? Watching the Babe in hundreds of games during his prime in the '20s? Or, seeing the 2-3 standard grainy, choppy, black & white clips one always sees as backdrop for any mention of Ruth? C'mon, that's just silly.

fquaye149
08-22-2003, 10:12 AM
i base that, yes on grainy black and white footage of his swing

combined with historical accounts of his swing as being similar to a pitcher's windup, picking up his front foot and ending up with all his weight going forward, how if he missed, he would screw himself into the ground.

so i really don't consider it that silly of an opinion.

and let's be realistic, how many homeruns would the barry bonds who is playing today have hit in the juiced ball era, at yankee stadium(not the pitcher's park he plays in now) with a disparity of talent at pitcher?

fquaye149
08-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by FJA
I would be extremely surprised if it ever came out Bonds was on steroids. Several former and current teammates have been quoted as saying he's a really hard worker.

Gary Sheffield--maybe not the most reliable source, but a source nonetheless--has said he used to work out with Bonds, and he works really hard in the weight room and to keep in shape. He followed up that comment with something to the effect of "Now, Sosa ... draw your own conclusions there" (with a wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Bonds' size increase does, in fact, look more like the result of what Sheffield is talking about, while Sham-Me ... well, like Sheffield said, "draw your own conclusions there" (shrunken head).

I love watching Bonds, though. I can understand why some people hate him (attitude), but anyone who says he isn't fun to watch play the game either doesn't know anything about the game or is blinded by bias.

i've actually heard many accounts of how bonds works out 8 hours a day during the offseason, running mile after mile and spending hours in the weightroom.

combine that with the fact that he's a natural athlete who in college and high school probably never had to work out a day in his life, who when he came into the majors, conditioning and weight training was just starting to be a major part of the sport(a la jose cannnnnseco)...and it's perfectly plausible that he would make all those gains...after all he was always a power hitter, a perennial 30/30 man when 30 was still relatively impressive.

now sammy on the other hand...

Hokiesox
08-22-2003, 10:23 AM
I must say when I started reading this I thought, "Why does anyone like him?" Personally, I can't stand him, I can't stand his comments or his pompous attitude. I won't deny he's a great player, but I'd rather not watch him. Not only is he in the other League, he can't beat the Cubs on a regular divisional basis. I'd rather watch the Orioles lose more and more out here, and boy is that funny!

:gulp: :bandance:

Procol Harum
08-22-2003, 10:26 AM
In addition to Bonds heavy workout regime--which I don't doubt--it is also strongly suggested by many in the know that he has benefitted from something which our friend Shammy has also used to his advantage (Bonds being the chief suspect as the guy whose hat size mysteriously increased a couple of sizes in the mid-90s). One could just as easily ask what might Ruth be able to do today had he known something about nutrition and training and also poked himself in the butt with a syringe loaded with 'roids? Bonds is a great player and he has really honed his game to a new level--as MRKARNO pointed out, if you throw him a pitch in the strike zone it's likely toast. But, I think it's pretty clear his game has been chemically-enhanced over the last several years as has that of other notables like Shammy and McGwire-d.

Exactly what do you mean by a "disparity of talent at pitcher" during Ruth's time? And speaking of juiced balls....?

fquaye149
08-22-2003, 11:10 AM
disparity of pitching means just that...there were a few great pitchers and many average pitchers. while it's true that ruth might have been more fit, it is unlikely he would have been as prolific with his swing in the era of pitchers who study weaknesses and watch game tape with a swing like his.

also, it's been widely speculated that juiced balls are being used now, but it's impossible to pinpoint when this change took place. it could just as easily be many other things as well, including steroids and player conditioning.

on the other hand, after the 1919 season, it is almost accepted that a juiced, or live ball was introduced, one of the reasons given for why the "black sox" might not have succeeded in future seasons had they not been removed from baseball.

meanwhile while it's not clear, it's certainly possible that bonds is chemically "enhanced." however so are many pitchers. not to justify it, but pitching is much faster now than it was in ruth's day as well. you might say we don't know that for sure, but let's be realistic. as late as 1989 95.0 miles per hour was considered one of the top 10 fastest pitches ever recorded. now there is at least one pitcher on every staff who can hit that on a regular basis. you may say that pitchers in 1920 and the like coudl hit 95 easily. i won't dispute that. but i find it unlikely that so many pitchers in the league could.