PDA

View Full Version : Your First Place Chicago White Sox

Bucktown
08-21-2003, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to be the first one to say that.

If you had previously posted a mesage on this board saying that "the season is over," or something similar please use this thread to admit your mistake.

Please do not post anything about the season not being over yet. I know that. I have a schedule. But anyone who had posted a message saying the Sox were out of it was wrong. Because clearly they weren't.

A.T. Money
08-21-2003, 09:48 PM
This game isn't over yet.

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm sure somewhere in May, I posted something about this team probably being done for, like they just didn't show me anything that indicated they were capable of doing anything good this year.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Bucktown
08-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm sure somewhere in May, I posted something about this team probably being done for, like they just didn't show me anything that indicated they were capable of doing anything good this year.

Cheeses, I know I could count on you to be man enough to 'fess up.

Come on people this is therapeutic. Get it off your chest...

Bucktown
08-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
This game isn't over yet.
Even before the game is over we are in first place - alone.

A.T. Money
08-21-2003, 09:51 PM
As soon as you made this post, Jose booted a double play grounder.

Let's wait until it's in the books before we may these kinds of posts. The Rangers can still put up a ton of runs in a heartbeat.

A.T. Money
08-21-2003, 09:56 PM
OK...

WE'RE IN FIRST NOW!

:D:

Bucktown
08-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
As soon as you made this post, Jose booted a double play grounder.

Let's wait until it's in the books before we may these kinds of posts. The Rangers can still put up a ton of runs in a heartbeat.
I apologize. I also said that it was too late in the year for a snow storm on the morning of 2/14/1990, so that was my fault too.

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 09:59 PM
I admit that I, one more than one occassion, came to this board and randomly started babbling about how the season was over, Manuel should be fired, Frank was going to LA, etc.

I was wrong... about some of those things. Manuel still needs to be fired. But the team is much better than I thought.

Viva Magglio
08-21-2003, 10:01 PM
The sky has fallen many a time in my world with this team. And while it's nice to be back in first place, we have a long way to go.

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Heh, here's a juicy one from me, posted in May:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=181603#post181603

Originally posted by lowesox
I agree with everything else you wrote. Actually, I agree with this too. But, what I want to know is why does everybody want to be negative? Isn't it better to try and stick with your team through tough times?

I think we've all tried that and it hasn't worked out.

What will happen is, the Sox will unload some salary before the trade deadline, play some "kids," and -- with all the pressure of playoff expectations off of them -- suddenly "play well" in the second half of the season. Not well enough to make the playoffs, of course, but just good enough that people say "Wow, wait 'til next year." And, as is their style, next year they start off playing like garbage and we repeat the cycle over and over again.

Someone else pointed out that we're making the exact same mistakes as we have the last few years, and it's true. We're not fielding any better. Our baserunning is still terrible. Frank looks not-good, and even Maggs freezes up when there's a big run opportunity presented. I see very, very little to be optimistic about with this team. I'll still go see them the 8 or so times I have tickets for, but I'm tired of investing so much energy in them only to be let down time and time again.

Maybe if we were the Tigers I'd try to be as optimistic as I could, looking for things that could improve down the line. But the Sox have done just about all they can to put together a winning crew, and they're still failing, which is why I think a mammoth overall is due at the highest levels. Right now I would love to see a new owner, new GM, new manager, new coaches, and some new faces on the team. Let's start over. I'm sick of these bums.

Needless to say, I'm glad things have turned around. And I guess I owe an apology to Kenny Williams, for making this team what it is right now.

Nick@Nite
08-21-2003, 10:13 PM
2003 AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL
TEAM W L PCT GB
Chicago 67 61 .523 -
Minnesota 66 61 .520 0.5
Kansas City 65 61 .516 1.0
Cleveland 55 73 .430 12.0
Detroit 31 95 .246 35.0

2003 AL Central

Looks damn good to me! :)

GO SOX!

Bucktown
08-21-2003, 10:17 PM
I just found one of my own (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=181943#post181943) where I was getting down on Kenny Williams.

I am sorry Kenny, you made me eat my words.

mike squires
08-21-2003, 10:28 PM
We are not in first yet. I'll know we are in first when I'm on hold ordering my playoff tickets.

DrCrawdad
08-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I just found one of my own (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=181943#post181943) where I was getting down on Kenny Williams.

I am sorry Kenny, you made me eat my words.

Kenny Williams, you've taken the beatings from fans and the media, often you've been right out in the front taking it not hiding. You've said that you believe in the team, when the team was dead and we were tossing dirt on their graves.

For what ever else happens from this point, Kenny you've earned my respect.

Best wishes,
DrCrawdad.

Oh, Kenny now that I've polished the apple, do you have any job openings?

MRKARNO
08-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
We are not in first yet. I'll know we are in first when I'm on hold ordering my playoff tickets.

We haven't won, but godammit we are in first.

lowesox
08-22-2003, 02:09 AM
If nothing else, I'm celebrating a full season of exciting baseball. It didn't look like that was going to happen for much of the season's start.

Contratulations guys, now let's keep that intensity level up!

pudge
08-22-2003, 02:41 AM
I don't think I ever posted anything saying the season was totally over, because it was clear that our division was terrible. If this had been 2001 or 2002, we would have been done long ago. I still think it's sad that we will be fighting for our lives until Sept. 29 when we should really be leading by about 10 games.

Shoeless Joe
08-22-2003, 03:24 AM
I've never said the Sox were done this year but I sure as hell was angry at them more than a couple of times. That being said, the Sox have done this to me too many times by being in first and then losing 3 series in a row. I'm glad the Sox are in first right now but being in first means nothing now. If it's the end of September and the Sox are in first then I'll gleefully boast about it.

Still, GO, GO WHITE SOX!!

adsit
08-22-2003, 09:42 AM
I never said it here, but that's only a technicality, because I hadn't found this site yet at the time I would have done so.

After the Detroit/Tampa fiasco I called it a season for us. It was a pattern reminiscent of too many seasons that have gone before. I was sure we were doomed to mediocrity. I was wrong. Huzzah! :D:

And so what if the AL Cent is a "weak" division. This is the most exciting stretch race in baseball. I'll be on the edge of my seat for the rest of the year, instead of slumped in it watching preseason NFL.

Go Sox!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 10:27 AM
What I find interesting is how Kenny Williams keeps finding ways to throw fresh coal into the Sox championship boiler. He got Colon for a steal last January, stoked the fire by trading for Everett and Alomar last month, followed by Schoenweis. Now he's giving them yet another boost by getting a righty reliever to replace Koch. A tip of the Sox Fan cap to Williams from one of his formerly biggest critics. :cool:

Now, contrast that with Manuel...

He has repeatedly stepped on the toes of some of the most important producers on this ballclub, including Colon, Thomas, Garland, Gordon, and (if we believe the rumors) Buehrle, too. The fact that the national media thinks Manuel has played a key role in helping this ballclub reach first place only proves to me how clueless they have been about the state of the team the first 4 months of this season. I mean, if it doesn't involve the A.L. East teams, who can blame them for being indifferent? Niether Minnesota or Kansas City managed to hold onto the big leads Manuel offered them back in April and May, trying to "play everybody." (His own words, folks.) That's the sole reason we were never out of the race.

I never threw in the towel for anybody on this team except Manuel. I stand by it. Furthermore, I'm curious to see how long the ballclub can simply ignore Jerry Manuel and keep winning in spite of his antics. The success or failure of this bunch is riding on it, because frankly I can't imagine Kenny Williams will be able to stoke the fire much more.

Manuel is still an idiot, and we need get rid of him as soon as possible. Note--that may not be until sometime in October.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the ride. It's all about winning and you can't argue with the joy of being in first place.

Go Sox!

:bandance:

anewman35
08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure I ever said anything here, but I know I've said it enough other places. So I'll admit - I'm wrong. I've given up on this team a good 10 times, and each time, they win me back. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Adam

QueerGirrl
08-22-2003, 11:52 AM
I didn't say it here but after that 1-6 road trip I told my girfriend that this was the beginning of the end. I was wrong! It's not over but I'm still concerned that they can have another losing streak. I love these guys but they are taking years off my life. I'm thrilled they've won four in a row and I hope they can keep it going. Either way, I'll be right there with them.

:gulp:

Dan H
08-22-2003, 01:37 PM
This team is still capable of blowing it, but they've come a long way. The lead they have can vanish in one day, so they can't take anything for granted. The best thing to happen this year is that the Sox want to win now. Hope springs eternal is for gullible Cub fans. The fact that the Sox have picked up Alomar, Everett, and now Sullivan has earned them some credibility they have lacked in the last few years. If they disappoint us again, at least the team made an effort to give the fans a winner now. Who wants to hear anything like "Wait till next year?"

Effigy
08-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Good to see. Making my prediction of the Sox in the WS at the beginning of the year even more brighter. :gulp:

kempsted
08-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by QueerGirrl
I didn't say it here but after that 1-6 road trip I told my girfriend that this was the beginning of the end. I was wrong! It's not over but I'm still concerned that they can have another losing streak. I love these guys but they are taking years off my life. I'm thrilled they've won four in a row and I hope they can keep it going. Either way, I'll be right there with them.

:gulp:

On the prediction thread after the 1-6 road trip I predicted they would clean up at home, make us all exited again and then go out and get swept by the Yanks (Oh well) and then by Tigers (BOy we suck fire everyone I'ts over etc). Then they would start winning again etc. I was right about the coming home so far - I hope I am wrong about the being swept by Yanks and Tigers part.

Bucktown
08-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't think I ever posted anything saying the season was totally over, because it was clear that our division was terrible. If this had been 2001 or 2002, we would have been done long ago. I still think it's sad that we will be fighting for our lives until Sept. 29 when we should really be leading by about 10 games.
Pudge, maybe this will jog your memory:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=190419#post190419

This sure sounds like you saying that the season is over.

Bucktown
08-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
This team is still capable of blowing it, but they've come a long way. The lead they have can vanish in one day, so they can't take anything for granted. The best thing to happen this year is that the Sox want to win now. Hope springs eternal is for gullible Cub fans. The fact that the Sox have picked up Alomar, Everett, and now Sullivan has earned them some credibility they have lacked in the last few years. If they disappoint us again, at least the team made an effort to give the fans a winner now. Who wants to hear anything like "Wait till next year?"
You missed the point of this exercise. It is to admit we were wrong when we gave up on this team and posted stuff like this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=191925#post191925

Now get back into the confessional.

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm still going to remain negative until we win our fourth game in the 2003 World Series.

Bucktown
08-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'm still going to remain negative until we win our fourth game in the 2003 World Series.
Please. Why are you setting your standards so low. Just one World Series? This management team must be fired and the ownership must be relinquished if we cant win 4 of the next 5 championships.

TornLabrum
08-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Please. Why are you setting your standards so low. Just one World Series? This management team must be fired and the ownership must be relinquished if we cant win 4 of the next 5 championships.

I was only referring to negativity about your 2003 Chicago White Sox.