PDA

View Full Version : Can Home Dominance Alone Win the AL Central?

Foulke You
08-21-2003, 05:22 PM
As I'm sure all of you are aware. Our White Sox have set up a disturbing trend on this season. Domination at Comiskey Park, then fall apart on the road (especially against weaker teams), Domination at Comiskey Park, then fall apart again on the road. Lo and behold, they are doing it again as no surprise, they swept Anaheim at home after a dismal series in Edison Field. I keep waiting for us to have a strong road trip like in 2000. We've only showed flashes of greatness on the road this year. Wrigley Field and the Metrodome in June, Kaufmann Stadium in July, etc.

The question I ask is, will it be enough to win this division that we are so lopsided between Home and Away records this year? It also begs the question, why can't our team get their heads on straight when they are away from 35th and Shields. (*cough* Manuel *cough*) If near .500 ball could have been played on the road we would be on our way to coasting to a division title and planning our playoff rotation.

One interesting thing to note is that we have 19 games at home remaining compared to 16 on the road which bodes well for us. However, the final 4 games of the season against KC are on the road. Our competition in the AL Central is a little more balanced with home and road records. I hope home dominance is enough, but we are going to have to take care of some business on the road. We can't afford to throw that series in Detroit away as we did last time we were there. Thoughts?

WHITE SOX 66W-61L HOME 40W-22L ROAD 26W-39L
ROYALS 65W-60L HOME 34W-30L ROAD 31W-30L
TWINS 65W-61L HOME 33W-20L ROAD 32W-31L

Meixner007
08-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Very well put. Also if we go to the playoffs we'll be starting on the road so either way we're going to have to heat up.

oheeoh...magglio
08-21-2003, 05:31 PM
If the sox don't improve on the road, they simply don't DESERVE to win the division, 13 under on the road is unacceptable. With that said, I still have faith the sox will at least somewhat put it together on the road, and I hope i'm right because if not, we aren't going to be playing in october.

MRKARNO
08-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Well I think my signature says it all for the sox this year because you never would have expected that they were gonna start horribly, you never would have expected that they would pull back to first from 8.5 back. YOu never would have expected they could go 1-6 on this recent roadtrip and after that roadtrip you never expected that the sox would reclaim a share of first in the least amount of days possible.

Right now you really cant expect anything from this club except the unexpected. They might fall completely apart down the stretch to the good teams. They might just fall short, they might barely win or they might run away with it. You wouldnt expect them to run away with it based on schedule, but there are so many other things that you wouldnt expect that already happened this year.

I'm just gonna follow this team at the park, on tv and in the papers and hope for the best because I've given up on making predictions. You never know what team will show up on any given day. This team defies any Billy Beane mathmatical formula and could probably prove that all his assumptions are bogus and that everyone else was right in the first place. I'm taking it a game at a time and I wont believe that they're out of it until they're mathematically eliminated and I won't believe they've won it until they've clinched.

Thunderstruck30
08-21-2003, 05:37 PM
If the Sox make the playoffs, they would most likely not have home field advantage. Two straight road losses would pretty much kill them. Winning on the road is one thing they need most. Id also like to note that the Sox swept the Royals in KC not too long ago so we shouldnt really worry about the last 4 games of the season being in KC.

Tragg
08-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Home dominance PLUS dominance over the Twins and Royals should do it. Whether we can dominate them in those 12 or so games remains to be seen.
We won't win it if we don't don't dominat them (2/3 at least) - schedule's are too disparate

Foulke You
08-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
HOme dominance PLUS dominance over the Twins and Royals should do it. Whether we can dominate them in thos 12 or so games remains to be sen.
We won't win it if we don't don't dominat them (2/3 at least) - schedule's are too disparate

I agree. We simply HAVE to take care of business versus our division. This includes the Tigers and Indians.

Tragg
08-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
This includes the Tigers and Indians.

Boy, you've got that right. If we had handled the Tigers like the rest of the world has, we'd be 4-5 games up. We actually lost 2 series to them, including one at home and were swept in another at Detroit.

MRKARNO
08-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Boy, you've got that right. If we had handled the Tigers like the rest of the world has, we'd be 4-5 games up. We actually lost 2 series to them, including one at home and were swept in another at Detroit.

If we miss the playoffs we have to blame one of the worst teams in the history of baseball for it and if it werent for the sox, the tigers wouldnt even be close to getting 40 wins

davenicholson
08-21-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
As I'm sure all of you are aware. Our White Sox have set up a disturbing trend on this season. Domination at Comiskey Park, then fall apart on the road (especially against weaker teams), Domination at Comiskey Park, then fall apart again on the road. Lo and behold, they are doing it again as no surprise, they swept Anaheim at home after a dismal series in Edison Field. I keep waiting for us to have a strong road trip like in 2000. We've only showed flashes of greatness on the road this year. Wrigley Field and the Metrodome in June, Kaufmann Stadium in July, etc.

The question I ask is, will it be enough to win this division that we are so lopsided between Home and Away records this year? It also begs the question, why can't our team get their heads on straight when they are away from 35th and Shields. (*cough* Manuel *cough*) If near .500 ball could have been played on the road we would be on our way to coasting to a division title and planning our playoff rotation.

One interesting thing to note is that we have 19 games at home remaining compared to 16 on the road which bodes well for us. However, the final 4 games of the season against KC are on the road. Our competition in the AL Central is a little more balanced with home and road records. I hope home dominance is enough, but we are going to have to take care of some business on the road. We can't afford to throw that series in Detroit away as we did last time we were there. Thoughts?

WHITE SOX 66W-61L HOME 40W-22L ROAD 26W-39L
ROYALS 65W-60L HOME 34W-30L ROAD 31W-30L
TWINS 65W-61L HOME 33W-20L ROAD 32W-31L

Just a note of cheer, courtesy of none other than the 1987 Twins:
1987 Minnesota Twins Road Record 29-52 .358

And I think they were similarly poor on the road in 1991. So chin up, Sox fans! It can be done!!!

hold2dibber
08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Sound advice in your signature, but easier said than done:

Ubi o ubi, es meam sub ubi? (Not sure that I got that quite right).

Foulke You
08-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Just a note of cheer, courtesy of none other than the 1987 Twins:
1987 Minnesota Twins Road Record 29-52 .358

And I think they were similarly poor on the road in 1991. So chin up, Sox fans! It can be done!!!

Wow. That is an interesting point. I knew the Twinks were bad on the road back then but I didn't know they were THAT bad. I wonder if that is the record for worst road record for a World Series team? Thanks for making me feel a little better. :smile:

Jurr
08-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Here's the situation.....
The Sox are built on a couple of truisms...................

1. The West coast, no matter how good this team is, has been a burial ground. If we have to go into the Mariners or A's nests without home field in either series, we're toast. It seems like it's the jet lag, screw up in daily routine, or something, but this team just doesn't have it on the west coast. If they played marginally well the last few years on the west coast, they'd have at least two division titles. Thank God that they're done traveling over there during the stretch run. They can handle traveling to Boston and New York...watch it happen.
2. The Sox, damn them, are horrible about losing focus and getting cocky. Wanna know why a lot of these first time pitchers screw the Sox up? I guarantee you the boys think they're going to get cookies by some young chump and don't focus at the plate. That goes with spending time studying scouting reports as well. Let's examine a young starter that was drummed up as being great---Rich Harden. You best believe the Sox focused against him, read his report, and they made him throw lots of pitches, fought hard at the plate, and wore him down.
When the focus and intensity is there, you're not going to beat the Sox in a series, no matter who it is. Hasn't happened all year long. In big series such as those with the Twins, Royals, Cubs, and A's, the Sox have been intense and have played great ball. If you want to see the optimum on this intensity, watch tape of that Cubs series. These Sox players need to stay focused, play hard, and they'll win this division. If they can maintain that drive, they will be a force in the playoffs as well. That is, of course, unless we have to go to the west coast.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Unless the Sox win EVERY remaining home game No. They simly have got to play better on the road.

winning two thirds of the remaining home games and playing .500 on the road should get it done.

Lip

dougs78
08-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Ubi o ubi, es meam sub ubi?[/I] (Not sure that I got that quite right).

Semper ubi sub ubi

Its always good to see fellow Latin scholars! (even if it is a bastardization of grammar and meaning) :smile:

davenicholson
08-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sound advice in your signature, but easier said than done:

Ubi o ubi, es meam sub ubi? (Not sure that I got that quite right).
Dibber,
Your handle makes me sad every time I see it--but it's one of my two favorites on the board here (the other being boog-alou)

In answer to your question, do you watch South Park? If so, you know what the Sub Ubi Gnomes did with yours! :D:

davenicholson
08-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Its always good to see fellow Latin scholars! (even if it is a bastardization of grammar and meaning) :smile:
Holy moley, did you just call me a Latin scholar ? Wow, thanks for the undeserved compliment. The only Latin I ever knew were the prayers we had to memorize as altar boys in the 60s! Who ever thought I'd parlay that stuff 35 years later into bad puns on a White Sox message board! Sister Desideria is no doubt rolling over in her grave. :angry:

Daver
08-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Sister Desideria is no doubt rolling over in her grave.

Sister Mary Elephant would like a word with you...............

Clarkdog
08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Here's the situation.....
The Sox are built on a couple of truisms...................

1. The West coast, no matter how good this team is, has been a burial ground. If we have to go into the Mariners or A's nests without home field in either series, we're toast. It seems like it's the jet lag, screw up in daily routine, or something, but this team just doesn't have it on the west coast. If they played marginally well the last few years on the west coast, they'd have at least two division titles. Thank God that they're done traveling over there during the stretch run. They can handle traveling to Boston and New York...watch it happen.
2. The Sox, damn them, are horrible about losing focus and getting cocky. Wanna know why a lot of these first time pitchers screw the Sox up? I guarantee you the boys think they're going to get cookies by some young chump and don't focus at the plate. That goes with spending time studying scouting reports as well. Let's examine a young starter that was drummed up as being great---Rich Harden. You best believe the Sox focused against him, read his report, and they made him throw lots of pitches, fought hard at the plate, and wore him down.
When the focus and intensity is there, you're not going to beat the Sox in a series, no matter who it is. Hasn't happened all year long. In big series such as those with the Twins, Royals, Cubs, and A's, the Sox have been intense and have played great ball. If you want to see the optimum on this intensity, watch tape of that Cubs series. These Sox players need to stay focused, play hard, and they'll win this division. If they can maintain that drive, they will be a force in the playoffs as well. That is, of course, unless we have to go to the west coast.

Amen, amen. Alleluia, amen.

I think the focus is there now. The West Coast trip was a wake up call. I expect to see better play on the road to the close of the season. Let's hope that gets it done.

TornLabrum
08-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
Amen, amen. Alleluia, amen.

I think the focus is there now. The West Coast trip was a wake up call. I expect to see better play on the road to the close of the season. Let's hope that gets it done.

I'd like to believe that, but I think the Sox suffer from ADD.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'd like to believe that, but I think the Sox suffer from ADD.

ADD = Jerry Manuel

:jerry
"Zzzz... Zzzz... Zzzz..." <jolted to life by an elbow to the ribs from Konehead>...

:jerry
"... um, yes.... I don't second-guess anyone who is a future hall-of-famer..."

:hurt
<red-faced, steam rising from head>