PDA

View Full Version : Rauch?

Iwritecode
08-21-2003, 12:11 PM
I found this posted on the troll board by fellow WSI poster RDIVALDI (although he doesn't post on this site much anymore...)

Spun another gem last night: 8 IP, 4H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

He's 7- 1 with an ERA of 4.17, a WHIP of 1.24, and his K/BB is almost 3:1, very respectable numbers for playing in that little bandbox in Charlotte.

This is the guy that should be our 5th starter.

Is he finally healthy? Anyone seen him in person lately?

spanishwhite
08-21-2003, 12:21 PM
He has been 2-0 with a 1.67 ERA in the month of August.

It sounds like he is finally healthy. I think the Sox will keep him down in Charlotte because they are close to making the playoffs He has 2 more starts in Charlotte.

pudge
08-21-2003, 12:27 PM
If they keep him down only because they want to go to the AAA play-offs, they are one sad organization.

Brian26
08-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by pudge
If they keep him down only because they want to go to the AAA play-offs, they are one sad organization.

Did he mean it that way? Or that the major league team is close to making the playoffs and can't take any chances on Rauch at this point in the season since every game is important?

DrCrawdad
08-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I found this posted on the troll board by fellow WSI poster RDIVALDI (although he doesn't post on this site much anymore...)

Is he finally healthy? Anyone seen him in person lately?

I'm glad you posted the report on Rauch's outing. I really hope that Rauch has recovered. IIRC there was concern about Rauch ever being able to fully recover.

Here's an image of the boxscore just so I don't feel that I've wasted my time...

LASOXFAN
08-21-2003, 01:02 PM
You'll see him when the rosters expand, no doubt about it. We need a right-hander coming out of the pen down the stretch.

LASOXFAN
08-21-2003, 01:12 PM
better yet, lets get Fussell from Richmond! :D:

Randar68
08-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
He has been 2-0 with a 1.67 ERA in the month of August.

It sounds like he is finally healthy. I think the Sox will keep him down in Charlotte because they are close to making the playoffs He has 2 more starts in Charlotte.

I was talking to Daver about this last night. When healthy, he still has the stuff to dominate. He's been much better on the road then at home.

The little snippett you all saw at the end of last year was no fluke. He can still be a staff ace down the road... IF HEALTHY.

His control is the biggest thing with him. Although he throws a heavy fastball in the 90-92 range (92-94 before injury), velocity is not a big deal. He LITERALLY has an extra 6 inches on anybody else because of his size, wingspan, and the way he really uses his legs to effectovely launch himself towards the plate. By the time he lets go of the ball, I would venture to say it's well more than 6" closer to the plate than 98% of pitchers in baseball.

When his walks are down and he has confidence, he's a load.

Everyone has been down on him because of his injuries, but if he can manage to stay healthy, he still could be one hell of a pitcher. Much better potential than Cotts in terms of being a top of the rotation starter.

soxtalker
08-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by pudge

If he was truly THE answer to our 5th starter problem, then you may be right. But it looks like the Sox aren't necessarily convinced of that. Now, as LASOXFAN pointed out, we'll probably see him when the rosters expand. That means that we can't use him in the playoffs, but we can probably go with a smaller pitching staff then.

Speaking of AAA, it seems to me that one of the minor league organizations -- possibly Charlotte -- was seriously considering severing their relationship with the Sox, since we kept depleting their roster. It's nice to see that the minor league teams are competitive.

WhiteSoxWinner
08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Speaking of AAA, it seems to me that one of the minor league organizations -- possibly Charlotte -- was seriously considering severing their relationship with the Sox, since we kept depleting their roster. It's nice to see that the minor league teams are competitive.

What the heck are you and Charlotte saying? Didn't we send them Armando Rios? Sheesh, no pleasing some people.

doublem23
08-21-2003, 11:58 PM
How many options does he have left? That may also be reason for keeping him in AAA (making sure he's DAMN well and ready to return).

TDog
08-22-2003, 12:09 AM
It looks like Jon is proving he can pitch well in front of big crowds.

spanishwhite
08-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Did he mean it that way? Or that the major league team is close to making the playoffs and can't take any chances on Rauch at this point in the season since every game is important?

Well, the point I tried to make was that there is only 10-12 games left in AAA left.

If Rauch were ready (and that is a big if) bringing him up now to pitch what would be one or two games against the Texas Rangers, Angels, or Yanks wouldn't help us a great deal. However, Rauch WILL help Charlotte a great deal.

If he were here now vs. 10 days from now won't be a big deal to Chisox, but it will be a big deal for Charlotte.

When the rosters do expand, he will most certainly be up here.

Actually, after he pitches his last two scheduled starts, he might make an early trip to Chicago.

Jurr
08-22-2003, 03:43 AM
I'd give Cotts a chance. It's like Buehrle....a lefty that sneaks up through the system while other guys (Wells, Garland, etc.) find their respective grooves. Let Rauch refine his game, keep his confidence, and get something going in the spring. If we're aching for a long man in the pen, it would make sense. If Sully stabilizes things in the pen, then I'd say shut Rauch down and we'll see him in April.