PDA

View Full Version : Koch?

jabrch
08-21-2003, 11:28 AM
"After he throws 20 or 25 pitches today, Billy Koch is hoping to head out on a rehab assignment.
Koch plans to really test the arm at full strength today. He will likely report to Triple-A Charlotte, and doesn't expect to be there long. He is eligible to return Aug. 28. Source: Arlington Daily Herald"

I really want to see Billy succeed. We all know there would be nothing better than to have another strong arm in the bullpen. Koch could help set up for Gordon and Marte. Is there any chance that he makes it back, this year, to full strength? Is there any chance he helps the club?

How about next year? We are stuck with his contract, I know that. Will he be able to contribute for us? Or will we have to eat the $6,000,000?

gosox41
08-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
"After he throws 20 or 25 pitches today, Billy Koch is hoping to head out on a rehab assignment.
Koch plans to really test the arm at full strength today. He will likely report to Triple-A Charlotte, and doesn't expect to be there long. He is eligible to return Aug. 28. Source: Arlington Daily Herald"

I really want to see Billy succeed. We all know there would be nothing better than to have another strong arm in the bullpen. Koch could help set up for Gordon and Marte. Is there any chance that he makes it back, this year, to full strength? Is there any chance he helps the club?

How about next year? We are stuck with his contract, I know that. Will he be able to contribute for us? Or will we have to eat the $6,000,000?

I hope he comes back effective, but I doubt it. I predict surgery for him in the offseason. There's no factual reason for this, just a hunch.

Bob

MRKARNO
08-21-2003, 02:52 PM
If Koch is effective again, I would have much more confidence in our bullpen. Now we have only 3 reliable options (Wunsch, Gordon and Marte) and having a 4th would be really helpful in a playoff run

ChiSoxFann
08-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Koch was lights out in the spring and i'v ben woundering did he have it in the spring or was he throwing low 90's high 80's i think he only gave 1 or 2 runs up in the spring eventhough he wasent facing the best of opponests did he atleast throw hard like he was at Oakland and Toronto

inta
08-22-2003, 04:25 AM
i am probably koch's only chicago supporter. i'm glad to hear he's doing ok and hope he can come back in september and make a difference for us. this guy has playoff experience (anyone remember foulke in 2000?) and can help us out down the road IF he's on his game. if not i expect him to have a huge 2004 whether he's with us or not.

Ventura23Fan
08-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by inta
i am probably koch's only chicago supporter. i'm glad to hear he's doing ok and hope he can come back in september and make a difference for us. this guy has playoff experience (anyone remember foulke in 2000?) and can help us out down the road IF he's on his game. if not i expect him to have a huge 2004 whether he's with us or not.

Anyone remember Koch in the 2002 playoffs? Small sample size, but he wasn't exactly stellar either.

FarmerAndy
08-22-2003, 04:53 PM
i am probably koch's only chicago supporter. .

That's not really true.

Billy has had a great attitude, which has caused most Sox fans to cut him alot of slack. He doesn't play the blame game, he takes responsibility for the fact that he hasn't performed well. He has a good sense of humor, and he's always behind his team. I've never seen a guy in the bullpen who watches the game and cheers on his team the way Billy does.

All that being said, I still don't want to see him on the mound in a close ballgame untill he looks like he can actually get guys out. But because of the fact that he has been such a class act, I think alot of us are behind him and hope he can return to form.

GOOD LUCK BILLY!

jabrch
08-22-2003, 05:08 PM
I really want to cheer for Billy. I want him to give me reason to cheer. I hate coming out there and booing the guy. (or any of our guys for that matter) But Koch would be the first to admit that he has flat out stunk this year. I give him credit for the honesty, but not enough credit to compensate for the games we lost that we may have won if someone else closed early on. If we had Gordon/Marte closing from the beginning, we might be a half a dozen or more games up over KC and Minn rather than neck and neck with them.

Nobody wants Billy to fail. We all wish him the best, as long as he is putting on the Sox uniform. Hopefully he will be a valuable part of this pen in OCTOBER. I'd love to see it.

kermittheefrog
08-22-2003, 05:11 PM

Were you watching Koch last year in the playoffs? He blew Oakland's shot at winning the division series against the Twins. I don't think that means as much as what he's done in the regular season providing he gets back to top form but if you're gonna hold a bad playoff series 3 years ago against Foulke you might as well hold a bad playoffs series last year against Koch.

lowesox
08-22-2003, 06:08 PM
I think Koch will come back and be a very reliable middle innings guy for us. Our bullpen is looking pretty good.

Can you imagine though, how good this team would be if we hadn't made the Foulke trade -- maybe World Series favourites.

jcw218
08-23-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Can you imagine though, how good this team would be if we hadn't made the Foulke trade -- maybe World Series favourites.

Provided that Foulke was even given the chance to close again.

inta
08-23-2003, 05:11 AM
ok ok, that koch blow in the playoffs last year vs the twinkies is true.
but still, i think koch has much better results in the big games than foulke, who has been known to choke.

make no mistake, i love keith, his attitude about the sox during the tigers brawl and the cubs series has made me a lifetime fan of his, but i KNOW koch has it in him still to help this team.
i'm praying he becomes the cinderella story of the sox if they make the playoffs.

this whole "what might have been" bit seems a bit asinine to me. i mean "can you imagine what our infield would be like if we still had clayton, ventura and alomar?"

i'd rather root for our current sox than some fantasy type ish.

jcw218
08-23-2003, 12:27 PM
I'd rather root for our current sox ...

You can say that again.

MRKARNO
08-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Supposedly, Koch isnt coming back until he has last year's form back