PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts from Weds Nite 8/19

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 11:37 AM
A few people from work were meeting after work at your typical
Lincoln Pk bar. There was a group of guys, athletic, young urban professional types, with a few girls mixed in. The cubs had just gotten a hit, and they erupted in cheers and whistles.
About 5 seconds later....Valentin hits his 2 run Homer, and I of course, being about 3 sox fans in 1, Cheer wildly, but to amazement, there was a girl in that group of cubfans that cheered wildly for Joses blast too. The cub fans remarked how there are "no sox fans" anywhere, and I remarked that if we had a superstation and were loved by the media, we would be just as "popular" too.... The guy cub fan then goes on that the reason the Cubs are popular, is because "our players are all handsome good looking guys. People can relate to them". He also said the Sox players were all "Rough looking, minority, working class looking" guys. I told him if Good Looks made them more popular, it probably ISNT translating into many Championships, which brought out some nervous, but well-earned laughter, esp from the lone female sox fan there. They quieted down after that.

Jerko
08-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Lincoln Pk bar. There was a group of guys, athletic, young urban professional types, with a few girls mixed in. The cubs had just gotten a hit, and they erupted in cheers and whistles.
About 5 seconds later....Valentin hits his 2 run Homer, and I of course, being about 3 sox fans in 1, Cheer wildly, but to amazement, there was a girl in that group of cubfans that cheered wildly for Joses blast too. The cub fans remarked how there are "no sox fans" anywhere, and I remarked that if we had a superstation and were loved by the media, we would be just as "popular" too.... The guy cub fan then goes on that the reason the Cubs are popular, is because "our players are all handsome good looking guys. People can relate to them". He also said the Sox players were all "Rough looking, minority, working class looking" guys. I told him if Good Looks made them more popular, it probably ISNT translating into many Championships, which brought out some nervous, but well-earned laughter, esp from the lone female sox fan there. They quieted down after that.

I guess that guy Cub fan is too young to remember Steve Ontiveros, Manny Trillo, and Jose Cardenel. 3 handsome lads right there if i ever saw them. Puds. Is it me or are all male Cub fans under 30 the same guy?

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 11:44 AM

The real question is what kind dolts do you work with and how good looking was the girl.

soxruleEP
08-21-2003, 11:44 AM
The guy cub fan then goes on that the reason the Cubs are popular, is because "our players are all handsome good looking guys. People can relate to them". He also said the Sox players were all "Rough looking, minority, working class looking" guys.

In the long history of SCrub stupidity that statement takes the cake. Do they ever stop to listen to themselves or are they just babbling brainstems?

I was at a family birthday party on Sunday and had to endure an in-law SCrub fan's dissertation about how they are true fans because they support their team no matter what.

I said that made them idiots and suckers, not true fans but that didn't go over very well.

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2003, 12:16 PM
The guy cub fan then goes on that the reason the Cubs are popular, is because "our players are all handsome good looking guys. People can relate to them". He also said the Sox players were all "Rough looking, minority, working class looking" guys.

Translation: "I masturbate to the mental image of Mark Prior throwing a 96-mph fastball every night."

What a drillrod.

TDog
08-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The real question is what kind dolts do you work with and how good looking was the girl.

I've found that it really doesn't matter where I work. I've had jobs on the Mexican border and on the Canadian border thousands of miles from Chicago -- and even in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles outside of Las Vegas. I've always had a Cubs fan in the office. :(:

alohafri
08-21-2003, 12:34 PM
This guy thinks that the scrubs are good-looking?? You've got to be kidding! What kind of hallucinogens is he on??
I mentioned just last week to Mr. Aloha that I couldn't think of one good-looking scrub, with the exception of maybe Mark Grudlinekziakiakakski :D: . I mean, look at Alou, scammie the chimp, Clement, Wood, Prior, etc.--ick!!

It's too bad the Sox got rid of Foulke--he was a dreamboat--but we have Neil Cotts who Hawk and DJ refer to as the "movie star" baseball player---Yum! And most of the other Sox players are kinda cute in their own way...Maggs, Wunsch, Carlos, Robbie, etc. And I wouldn't consider any of the Sox players "ugly".

(Mrs. Aloha)

Chisox353014
08-21-2003, 12:39 PM

I've long thought that WSI should have some sort of Stupid Cub Fan Quote Hall of Fame where we can post the retarded things we've heard actual Cub fans say. If it did, I'd nominate this quote to be the inaugural inductee.
So apparently a starting lineup that includes a Sosa, a Ramirez, a Gonzalez, an Alou, a Choi and a Zambrano somehow doesn't have any minorities in it? :?: And who the hell cares if a player is "minority-looking" anyway? What does that even mean?

As someone who had the misfortune of having to get off at the Wrigley red line el stop every day for 3 years, I've heard some great Dumb Cub Fan quotes. My favorite: Fat teenage Cub fan, obviously from the suburbs, with brand new Flub jersey and brand new Flub hat (on backwards) to Chicago cop at the red line stop, which is about 100 yards and 10,000 people (all moving the same direction) from Wrigley Field: "Which way is Wrigley Field?"

whitesoxwilkes
08-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Is Sox Nation going to get together at Mother Hubbard's for one of the Yankee games next week?

QueerGirrl
08-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Is Sox Nation going to get together at Mother Hubbard's for one of the Yankee games next week?

Yes!! Let's definitely do it! How about Wednesday night?

whitesoxwilkes
08-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Works for me. Hangar? Voodoo? Cheeses?

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 01:30 PM

Wilky....you read my mind. YES, I can be there TUES & Wednesday.

voodoochile
08-21-2003, 01:35 PM
Man, I wish I could. Things are tough next week and I definitely wouldn't make the start of the game. I'll try, but it doesn't look good at this point in time.

MarqSox
08-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
And I wouldn't consider any of the Sox players "ugly".

Mmmm... Bartolo Colon isn't particularly pleasant-looking.

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Mmmm... Bartolo Colon isn't particularly pleasant-looking.

Kelly Wunsch not ugly? Only to Mrs. Wunsch (who is a babe, btw).

QueerGirrl
08-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Man, I wish I could. Things are tough next week and I definitely wouldn't make the start of the game. I'll try, but it doesn't look good at this point in time.

Booooo!!!! (Just kidding!) :)

bobj4400
08-21-2003, 02:26 PM

Wednesday's game would be perfect...

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Is this on Division near Rush?

Jerko
08-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Is this on Division near Rush?

I think it's like 5 W. Hubbard (hubbard and right off of state maybe?)

QueerGirrl
08-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think it's like 5 W. Hubbard (hubbard and right off of state maybe?)

Yep that's the one.

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Take the red line to Grand stop, get off and walk south on State to Hubbard. Look towars left (west) and you can't miss the place.

voodoochile
08-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Take the red line to Grand stop, get off and walk south on State to Hubbard. Look towars left (west) and you can't miss the place.

Just to be picky, left would be east from that perspective. They want to look right which is west...

whitesoxwilkes
08-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I will not be able to make the start either, but can be there by 7:45 in time for the finish! (forgot they are 6:05 starts)

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Just to be picky, left would be east from that perspective. They want to look right which is west...

yeah, I guess so, I was thinking of walking from my office for a second. There is a pretty good Mexican Short order place down the street called G&G, right next to the parking lot and not sign out front.

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 05:29 PM

I was going to mention that also....seeing as I was a Geography/Urban Planning Major