PDA

View Full Version : Playoff question


dougs78
08-21-2003, 11:17 AM
I got to thinking about how close this division race is right now and probably will be right down to the wire. Basically all three teams have almost identical records. So my question is, what if all 3 teams in one division finish with the exact same record??

I know with 2 teams you'd have a 1 game playoff, but with three thats impossible. Is one team eliminated somehow without even playing a game (ie. records against)? Is there a round robin? If anyone has any thoughts or knows the answer please enlighten me.

sox_fan_forever
08-21-2003, 11:20 AM
I was thinking about this last night also. I, too, am wondering how they would decide this.

Another thing that occured to me is this, the Sox finish the season on the road-not a good thing. If they finished at home I think I would be more optimistic. This team needs to start winning on the road.

CHISOXFAN13
08-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I believe the way it works is there are a series of coin tosses.

One team gets a bye, while the other two play to eliminate the other.

There was a similar scenario with the NL Wild Cars in 1998. I think the Mets finished a game back of the Cubs and Giants.

MarqSox
08-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I believe the way it works is there are a series of coin tosses.

One team gets a bye, while the other two play to eliminate the other.

There was a similar scenario with the NL Wild Cars in 1998. I think the Mets finished a game back of the Cubs and Giants.

You're right. There would be coin flips, with two teams getting screwed. Two games would be played ... doesn't quite seem fair, but whatever.

Iwritecode
08-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You're right. There would be coin flips, with two teams getting screwed. Two games would be played ... doesn't quite seem fair, but whatever.

Are you serious?!?

Does anyone have a copy of the rulebook handy? You would think they would at least take H2H records or home records into consideration...

LASOXFAN
08-21-2003, 12:37 PM
I hate to sound like a downer, but does anyone really want to see the Sox merely eek into the playoffs? It would spell certain first round doom. I want to see us get on one more roll that separates us from the pack. In fact, I'd like to see us setting our rotatioin for the playoffs in that last series in KC, not desperately throwing everything we have out there to win the division. Because the winner of this division will most likely face the Mariners in the first round.

We need to be ready to throw everything at them.

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I hate to sound like a downer, but does anyone really want to see the Sox merely eek into the playoffs? It would spell certain first round doom. I want to see us get on one more roll that separates us from the pack. In fact, I'd like to see us setting our rotatioin for the playoffs in that last series in KC, not desperately throwing everything we have out there to win the division. Because the winner of this division will most likely face the Mariners in the first round.

We need to be ready to throw everything at them.

I agree. I don't want to see a repeat of what happened in 2000. Getting swept out of the playoffs again would be a disaster for this organization. The only good thing that would come out of it would be Manuel's firing, but that's another story. The Sox need to being the process of rebuilding their fanbase. That means advancing deep into the playoffs and showing the rest of the baseball world that there are two teams in Chicago.

Looking at it from a more analytical perspective, the Sox have not played well against Seattle this year. They were swept at home back in May, and in their last meeting, the series was lost because of Danny Wrong and Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel.

The Sox cannot afford to have their pitching staff implode, because I'm not sure how effective the offense will. Frank Thomas has been completely shut down by Mariner pitching. His lone hit against them this season came on May 11, when he crushed a salad-ball thrown by Jamie Moyer into the left-field seats at Safeco.

That game was a disaster in itself. Sox hitters looked completely out of sync against Moyer. They swung at his salad and missed. Carlos Lee had the misfotune of being splattered by a tomato.

hold2dibber
08-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree. I don't want to see a repeat of what happened in 2000. Getting swept out of the playoffs again would be a disaster for this organization. The only good thing that would come out of it would be Manuel's firing, but that's another story. The Sox need to being the process of rebuilding their fanbase. That means advancing deep into the playoffs and showing the rest of the baseball world that there are two teams in Chicago.

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. But in any event, I don't think it woul be a disaster for the organization to make the playoffs but get knocked out in the first round. From a Sox' fan's perspective, it would suck (although it would be better than not making the playoffs at all), but it would likely still result in an increased season ticket base for next year and extra revenue that might be used for payroll next season. Hardly a disaster - a missed opportunity, to be sure, but still a good thing to make the playoffs, regardless of the outcome.

gosox41
08-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I hate to sound like a downer, but does anyone really want to see the Sox merely eek into the playoffs? It would spell certain first round doom. I want to see us get on one more roll that separates us from the pack. In fact, I'd like to see us setting our rotatioin for the playoffs in that last series in KC, not desperately throwing everything we have out there to win the division. Because the winner of this division will most likely face the Mariners in the first round.

We need to be ready to throw everything at them.

Right about now I just want to get into the playoffs. It's a shame that so far this team has failed to live up to their potential, but a playoff appearance is better then no playoff appearance.

Bob

Iwritecode
08-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Right about now I just want to get into the playoffs. It's a shame that so far this team has failed to live up to their potential, but a playoff appearance is better then no playoff appearance.

Bob

I agree that playing in the post season is much better than watching it at home but I'm going to be selfish. I've had enough of this 3 and out crap. I don't just mean winning one game either. If the Sox are going to make it to the playoffs, then they need to at least make an apperance in the WS. Then while they're at it, they might as well win the whole thing. This city has waited long enough...

LASOXFAN
08-21-2003, 01:27 PM
You know, no one gave the Twins a chance against the A's last year, including me. How wrong we were. A Sox vs. Mariners series would certainly favor the Mariners. Steal a game up there and you never know...we've been very tough at home this year.

Maybe you're right, I am getting ahead of myself. I just want to see Colon right the ship against Texas, set the tone for the series. The Rangers are scorching hot and $-Rod's leading the way.

northsidesoxfan
08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
just went to mlb.com and found nothing regarding tiebreakers.....however at http:/www.all-baseball.com/tie.html there are a few tiebreakers regarding 2 teams tied,3 teams tied