PDA

View Full Version : Marte, JM and KW

hold2dibber
08-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Marte absolutely dominated last night. When he is hitting his spots, he is one of the best relievers in all of baseball. Although I think JM is horrible managing the bullpen (and managing in general), I have to give him props for leaving Marte in for the 9th last night. Gordon had worked several nights in a row, the score was still close, and Marte was on a roll.

And for all the crap KW gets for his other Pirates trade (and deservedly so), I can't say enough about the Marte deal. When he made the trade, I was pissed - Guerrier was coming off an 18 win season in AAA; I thought the Sox could have gotten more than some middle reliever I'd never heard of. But what a trade - Marte has been a God send in the bullpen the last 2 years.

fledgedrallycap
08-21-2003, 09:34 AM
There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't love to Damarso. I know last year the Giants were throwing just about everything they had at the Sox for there penant push.

What I love about Marte is that even though he is a lefty, he isn't a situational lefty like Wunch, he goes out there and mows everyone down. That gives him a ton of flexibility as a set-up man and a closer.

Can you imagine this pen without Marte and the acquisition of Gordon? On second though, let's not... :smile:

jabrch
08-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Behind Maggs (gotta love a first class player and a first class citizen) and Robbie Alomar (I was always a huge fan, even when he was in Cleveland), Marte is my next favorite guy on this team. He is filthy against left handed hitters. He works his rear off to do whatever he can. Flash has also been an awesome RP. If it weren't for those two, we'd be long out of the race.

kempsted
08-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
There isn't a team in baseball that wouldn't love to Damarso. I know last year the Giants were throwing just about everything they had at the Sox for there penant push.

What I love about Marte is that even though he is a lefty, he isn't a situational lefty like Wunch, he goes out there and mows everyone down. That gives him a ton of flexibility as a set-up man and a closer.

Can you imagine this pen without Marte and the acquisition of Gordon? On second though, let's not... :smile:

Just a question. Why does everyone call Wunsch a situational lefty? He seems to befuddle righties and lefties alike.

Jerko
08-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Just a question. Why does everyone call Wunsch a situational lefty? He seems to befuddle righties and lefties alike.

I was just going to ask the same thing! My guess would be that people think this way because when he IS allowed to pitch to more than one batter, he usually gets about 5 people out in a row and is pullled with 2 outs nobody on just because a righty is coming up. So, even though he usually gets righties out, the perception remains because he is ALWAYS pulled with a righty on deck and he ONLY comes in for one batter most of the times he is used and that batter is always lefty.

fledgedrallycap
08-21-2003, 10:04 AM
It not that I or most people don't think he can perform against Righties, it's just when is the last time he was used to get a right handed hitter out?

That is just his role - not a critisim

joecrede
08-21-2003, 10:47 AM
When was the last time Wunsch got anyone out in a big situation 7th inning or later?

MarkEdward
08-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kempsted

2000-2002
Wunsch vs. righties: .802 OPS
Wunsch vs. lefties: .564 OPS

He's not horrible against righties, but one can see why he's called a LOOGY. This year he's handled lefties and righties equally well, though.