PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills talks about WSI after Angels sweep...

Soxfan7070
08-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Some guy called the postgame show and said that he read on WSI about something with Billy Wagner moving from Houston. I forget if the caller said if he read that Wagner was coming to the Sox or not. I have not heard or seen anything about this here...maybe I am not looking hard enough. Anyways, Wills said rumors aren't true and that Wagner isn't going anywhere. Wills also says that he loves reading stuff on the site, but doesn't post or go to the chat. I just think that it's pretty cool that he's mentioning the site on the air like that and that's all I have to say.

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Um, why would Houston give up its 100-mph closer during the heat of a division race? That's just idiotic thinking right there...almost Flub-like.

gosox41
08-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Soxfan7070
Some guy called the postgame show and said that he read on WSI about something with Billy Wagner moving from Houston. I forget if the caller said if he read that Wagner was coming to the Sox or not. I have not heard or seen anything about this here...maybe I am not looking hard enough. Anyways, Wills said rumors aren't true and that Wagner isn't going anywhere. Wills also says that he loves reading stuff on the site, but doesn't post or go to the chat. I just think that it's pretty cool that he's mentioning the site on the air like that and that's all I have to say.

Maybe this was the "Knock your socks off trade" Hawk talked about and was speculated on here. I never read Wagner's name in particular, but he is a relatively big name.

Bob

DrCrawdad
08-21-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Soxfan7070

I like Wills. It's great that the Sox have a passionate Sox fan, dare I say Totally Biased Sox fan, as pre/post host.

Wills in no way has to mention WSI but we're a strong, loyal and large portion of the Sox fan community. It behooves Wills and other Sox personnel to reach out to us.

BTW I love it when Wills gets a little worked up. Again, I love that passion for the White Sox!

You Go Wills!

inta
08-21-2003, 07:37 AM
i agree with crawdad, having wills on post show is great coz he speaks more from an emotional/fan perspective. if they just had some clinical sounding stat guy it'd get kinda boring.

kempsted
08-21-2003, 08:41 AM
It is cool that Wills is mentioning WSI but it worries me as well. One of the reasons this board is the best is the signal to noise ratio is good. The more people who know about it the worse it will get. I'm not saying it is bad that he is mentioning us, just ...

Brian26
08-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
It is cool that Wills is mentioning WSI but it worries me as well. One of the reasons this board is the best is the signal to noise ratio is good. The more people who know about it the worse it will get. I'm not saying it is bad that he is mentioning us, just ...

Agreed 100%. It's the ultimate Catch-22. The place is so fun to visit because it's under control and relatively small. You can actually recognize personalities and names. It's cool to be mentioned and recognized, but you'd hate to lose what makes this place so cool in the first place.

Iwritecode
08-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Agreed 100%. It's the ultimate Catch-22. The place is so fun to visit because it's under control and relatively small. You can actually recognize personalities and names. It's cool to be mentioned and recognized, but you'd hate to lose what makes this place so cool in the first place.

Considering how much this place has grown since the core 5-10 posters originally came over here, I think we are doing pretty good. (What's sad is that of those 5-10 original posters, I can think of at least 4 that no longer post here...) The mods do a great job of keeping the trolls away. Also, I think that no matter how many people show up, there is a relatively small group of posters that are on here on a day-to-day basis. It's pretty easy to recognize and remember the names and personalities of that small group, IMHO.

jabrch
08-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Willis even mentioned some of the gang by name...

Good to see WSI get some more coverage!

Steve Bartman
08-21-2003, 09:50 AM
I agree it's great to get some recongition, but what was that caller talking about? I have never heard about Wagner becoming a White Sox. Before he said that though, the caller said that WSI was a "fake" White Sox site, and that "the media gave it to them". Media? What the hell is this guy talking about. This guy sounds just like a Flub fan. Did anyone else hear this too?

DrCrawdad
08-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Ok, did Wills mention the good DrCrawdad? I'm starved for attention.

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 10:17 AM

IM just wondering when a cub fan, (they always mimic/copy things the White Sox/Fans have done since time began) builds
an exact duplicate site

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Wills Better Mention Hangar 18 next time ......

Clarkdog
08-21-2003, 10:24 AM
I ran into Wills last night after the game at Jimbo's. Had never been to Jimbo's before - but I wanted to check it out after hearing Dave talk about it on the postgame so often. Great place, fun hang out after the game - lively people - all Sox fans.

Wills is a cool guy...but shorter than I had imagined.

TDog
08-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
IM just wondering when a cub fan, (they always mimic/copy things the White Sox/Fans have done since time began) builds
an exact duplicate site

Most Cubs fans wouldn't be able to deal with the sort of discussion that I've seen around here. If a few well-intentioned (although judgment impaired) Cubs fans were to duplicate WSI, the Tribune Co. would do whatever it would take to shut it down.

A.T. Money
08-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Wills is definitely cool for the plug.

alohafri
08-21-2003, 11:11 AM
One of the best things about WSI is that we can post all the negative stuff we want about the scrubs or Sox management or whatever, and our posts don't get pulled! And the scrub and other team trolls can't post bad stuff about our Sox!!

I think the only publicity we need is for all of us to tell our fellow Sox fans about this site. I don't like that the media (including Wills) mentions this site. I'm worried that whiny lowlife scrub fans will try and shut WSI down. There used to be a kick-a$$ Astros website run by some fans that was similar to WSI (and it had a hilarious chimp carey bit) but it's no longer there...I suspect that it got shut down and not on purpose. So I'm a little paranoid.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Brian26
08-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Just to clarify, Wills only mentioned George Bova by name. He said something to the effect, "George Bova and the boys do a great job over there".

The caller did say something garbled about how the media gave us WSI. Not sure what the hell he was talking about. I've also never seen the Billy Wagner rumor posted here either. He must have been gooped up on gop.

Brian26
08-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Also, forgot to mention this: Wills said that he tries to check the site out DURING the games to see what people are talking about. He claimed he "doesnt know much about the gameday threads or whatever you call them or the chatrooms" but he definitely thinks this is a good place to see what true Sox fans are thinking.

Steve Bartman
08-21-2003, 12:01 PM
If you want to find out what the true sox fans think this is certainly the White Sox site to go to. I guess Dave Wills has caught on too. The members on this site are probably the biggest fan base for his show. Does anyone know though what the hell the caller may have meant by this site being "given to us by the media"?

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
If you want to find out what the true sox fans think this is certainly the White Sox site to go to. I guess Dave Wills has caught on too. The members on this site are probably the biggest fan base for his show. Does anyone know though what the hell the caller may have meant by this site being "given to us by the media"?

Too much beer?

Soxfan7070
08-21-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree it's great to get some recongition, but what was that caller talking about? I have never heard about Wagner becoming a White Sox. Before he said that though, the caller said that WSI was a "fake" White Sox site, and that "the media gave it to them". Media? What the hell is this guy talking about. This guy sounds just like a Flub fan. Did anyone else hear this too?

Now that I think about it, that guy did sound familiar. I think he may have been one of the flubs fans who think they are "HI-larious" by calling in and saying "Aramus Ramirez went yard" or something dumb like that. I might be wrong but talking about Wagner when the Flubs are in Houston? Coincidence?

steff
08-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Me again...??? :D:

Brian26
08-21-2003, 12:24 PM
You should try to hit the bullpen bar after the game on Friday night, Steff. We're trying to get a bunch of guys down there.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Just to clarify, Wills only mentioned George Bova by name. He said something to the effect, "George Bova and the boys do a great job over there".

The caller did say something garbled about how the media gave us WSI. Not sure what the hell he was talking about. I've also never seen the Billy Wagner rumor posted here either. He must have been gooped up on gop.

Yes, I heard Dave give the site a wonderful plug and mention my name, too. It was very nice of him and I greatly appreciate the props on behalf of everyone who volunteers to work here.

As for the caller himself, he sounded like he had consumed too many Miller Lites. :smile:

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 12:46 PM
I wonder if Jerry Manuel reads WSI.

:jerry

"Why doesn't anyone like me?"

:hurt

"I can think of a few reasons."

:maggs

"So can I."

:manos

"I can, too."

:hitless

"Leave my daddy alone! He's the greatest manager in the history of the game!"

alohafri
08-21-2003, 12:58 PM
You should try to hit the bullpen bar after the game on Friday night, Steff. We're trying to get a bunch of guys down there. \

that doesn't sound right... :D:

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
\

LMAO!

DrCrawdad
08-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yes, I heard Dave give the site a wonderful plug and mention my name, too. It was very nice of him and I greatly appreciate the props on behalf of everyone who volunteers to work here.

As for the caller himself, he sounded like he had consumed too many Miller Lites. :smile:

Miller Lite, is that a Sox fan beer?

Look at one arrogant Cubbie fan bunghole wrote about Sox fan beer consumption...

But I find it interesting that the only time the Sox have more than 15000 in the yard is when the Cubs show up. Bless the blue collar types and their hatred of the north side. Jump into their Ford's and head to Comiskey, suck down a few Old Style's and pretend that it's a ball park for a few hours. And to think Tampa Bay might have had them on the cheap.
To view this bunghole's opinions. (http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=bdmi4r%247cc%241%40bob.news.rcn.net)

...funny thing is that Old Style is a Cubbie beer.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Mrs. Aloha mentioned about the Astros site.

MLB closed down two Houston sites and some Yankee sites because they were in violation of copyright laws. That's why Daver and PHG has reminded, cajoled, threatened posters about putting entire stories from say the Tribune on to this site.

They undertsand what could happen.

Another reason though that I think WSI does NOT get into trouble is because of the media coverage.

This site has been talked about by Willis and Grobstein on the radio, it's been mentioned in columns by Rapoport, Rogers and LaVern Neal III in Minnieapolis. Many media members have been interview guests. That offers some protection because if the Sox try to shut this site down (and they eventually might) the media is sure to know about it (if for no other reason than I'll contact some of them).

I'd guess some of them would start to make a stink causing more bad PR for the Sox.

Personally I think unless things get WAY out of hand here that the Sox will just leave the site alone. It's not worth the trouble or the risk to them.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

MLB closed down two Houston sites and some Yankee sites because they were in violation of copyright laws. That's why Daver and PHG has reminded, cajoled, threatened posters about putting entire stories from say the Tribune on to this site.

Another reason though that I think WSI does NOT get into trouble is because of the media coverage.

This site has been talked about by Willis and Grobstein on the radio, it's been mentioned in columns by Rapoport, Rogers and LaVern Neal III in Minnieapolis. Many media members have been interview guests. That offers some protection because if the Sox try to shut this site down (and they eventually might) the media is sure to know about it (if for no other reason than I'll contact some of them).

I'd guess some of them would start to make a stink causing more bad PR for the Sox.

Personally I think unless things get WAY out of hand here that the Sox will just leave the site alone. It's not worth the trouble or the risk to them.

Lip

I agree. Besides, some of the most loyal Sox fans on the planet are members here. If JR and his minions try to shut WSI down, they're going to lose more fans. Nobody wants to support a team if they feel that said team doesn't show appreciation for the support its fans give. We've already seen this point illustrated by the fact that attendance has declined since 1994, when Reinsdorf was the mastermind behind the baseball strike.

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Some clarification, Lip. The Houston an New York sites were closed down as a result of the threat of a suit by MLB Properties for trademark infringement. They showed logos prominently and the MLB Properties lawyers wrote a very lame letter stating that this could cause fans to believe that the sites were endorsed by the teams covered by the sites.

The Astros site went back up (I haven't checked in months to see if it's still there) after removing all trademarks of the Astros. The New York site decided to close down rather than deal with the hassle.

Printing articles is a violation of copyright, but it had nothing to do with why WSI got warnings. That, as I recall, came from the media outlets themselves, not from MLB.

BTW, PHG has helped make sure WSI doesn't get flak from MLB Properties by having the flying sock logo designed. Interestingly, I saw that logo (an exact duplicate down to the yellow wings) on a cap being worn by a young child. On the back was the White Sox logo, so who is stealing who's trademarks in this case, George?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
....BTW, PHG has helped make sure WSI doesn't get flak from MLB Properties by having the flying sock logo designed. Interestingly, I saw that logo (an exact duplicate down to the yellow wings) on a cap being worn by a young child. On the back was the White Sox logo, so who is stealing who's trademarks in this case, George?

THEY'LL BE HEARING FROM MY LAWYER!!!!

:)

Paulwny
08-21-2003, 01:34 PM
THEY'LL BE HEARING FROM MY LAWYER!!!!

:)

Don't call too soon. I have a 1960 Topps Nellie Fox card which shows a flying sox with one yellow wing in the lower left hand corner. :smile:

Hangar18
08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
The Sox and Reinsdorf have done some Incredibly Stupid Things in the "brief" 20 or so years theyve owned the team. If they were to do something as Foolish as Hurt their own Fan Base by shutting this place down, Not only would the outcry be far, wide, and Powerful, It would would probably be the final nail in the Coffin I would need to be a Full Time Boston Red Sox Fan.
If I owned a business, and someone "offered" to Promote, Discuss and spread the word about my "product", AND DO IT FOR FREE, I would would be Remiss and Darned IF I didnt do something to promote a Mutual admiration/dialogue. Alas, it is silly to even consider that a Possibility, because it wouldnt Happen. Reinsdorf would NEVER DO SOMETHING THAT STUPID

Brian26
08-21-2003, 02:12 PM
BTW, PHG has helped make sure WSI doesn't get flak from MLB Properties by having the flying sock logo designed. Interestingly, I saw that logo (an exact duplicate down to the yellow wings) on a cap being worn by a young child. On the back was the White Sox logo, so who is stealing who's trademarks in this case, George?

The hat is sold at the New Era Cap corner at the park. It's the 50's logo sock with wing. The WSI logo has two wings, while the old logo only has one. Plus, it's not the current logo. Do major league teams own old logos that probably were never trademarked in the first place? I highly doubt the old flying sock, which was never even on any Sox uniform, was trademarked. However, in a court of law, I can't see anyone beating the Sox if it ever came to that. Interesting case. Does WSI actually own the trademark to the flying sock logo now? If so, that's pretty cool and a smart idea.

Brian26
08-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
\

LOL, sorry. What I meant to say...
Ah, forget it.

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
The hat is sold at the New Era Cap corner at the park. It's the 50's logo sock with wing. The WSI logo has two wings, while the old logo only has one. Plus, it's not the current logo. Do major league teams own old logos that probably were never trademarked in the first place? I highly doubt the old flying sock, which was never even on any Sox uniform, was trademarked. However, in a court of law, I can't see anyone beating the Sox if it ever came to that. Interesting case. Does WSI actually own the trademark to the flying sock logo now? If so, that's pretty cool and a smart idea.

I don't remember one or more yellow wings on the '50s era logo. I remember the wing as being white and not in a "flight" position, but then again, that's over 40 years ago, and I didn't save my baseball cards because I didn't know they'd be an investment opportunity one day.

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Actually if I remeber correctly, one of the site recieved the letter from MLB properties. After being informed either the Astros or Mets actually asked MLB to back off and let the site continue to exist, which they did.

steff
08-21-2003, 04:55 PM
You should try to hit the bullpen bar after the game on Friday night, Steff. We're trying to get a bunch of guys down there.

Not going Friday night. 40+ and me don't mix. I'll be poolside all day.. and at the track at night :D:

I'm going tonight though. 107 1st row behind the patio

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Actually if I remeber correctly, one of the site recieved the letter from MLB properties. After being informed either the Astros or Mets actually asked MLB to back off and let the site continue to exist, which they did.

Yeah, I heard that somewhere! :D:

Randar68
08-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know though what the hell the caller may have meant by this site being "given to us by the media"?

Maybe they were referring to Lip Man's self-stroking love affair with himself and his "media" target he think people have placed on his back.

Daver
08-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

MLB backed off the Astros site at the request of the team AFTER they removed all MLB copyrighted logo's and ceased using the site to make money.

As far as the media being involved with this site,all I have to say is this,when in the hell are they going to start helping us pay the damn bills then............

:bandance:

Randar68
08-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
MLB backed off the Astros site at the request of the team AFTER they removed all MLB copyrighted logo's and ceased using the site to make money.

As far as the media being involved with this site,all I have to say is this,when in the hell are they going to start helping us pay the damn bills then............

:bandance:

LOL. I'll save some pocket change. LOL!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Dawg is right about the Mets and Astros sites. It was their use of the official team logos that got them in trouble. Some chose to change their websites and others decided to shutdown.

The WSI flying sock was created by an artist in Seattle back in the Rivals days (February, 2000). It was specifically created to PREVENT exactly the above sort of situation for WSI. We own it. Anybody using it would be violating our trademark.

If you follow the auctions for Sox memorabilia at eBay, you'll already know there were dozens of different designs used by the Sox in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's featuring some sort of sock, only some of them featuring wings, and fewer still with yellow wings. They stopped using flying sock designs sometime during the early 60's. In utter contrast to the interlocking Old English logo we all know today, there was no "official" flying sock used by the Sox. Their dis-use of that imprecise design (in favor of the simple diamond sock currently on the road uniform) puts the old flying sock into the public domain.

Understanding I am not a patent or commercial lawyer, please note the following. The U.S. government maintains a registry of trademarks. The registry itself does not constitute a legal trademark, but simply notes for the public record who has or hasn't registered such trademarks. It's a legal device for helping litigate disputes. It is not required to enforce a trademark.

What IS required for enforcing a trademark is

1. Evidence that yours was the original use of the trademark,
2. Your trademark did not infringe on anyone else's previous use of the trademark,
3. Your continued use of the trademark, and
4. Your actions to enforce your rights to exclusive use of your trademark.

The WSI logo is different from any other flying sock, past or present, for the following details:

1. There are two wings, each at distinctive angles, and clearly visible,
2. The shape of the wings and the shape of the sock are distinctly different from any previously used flying sock,
3. The sock is rendered in three dimensions with the foot hole at the top clearly illustrated, and
4. No cursive lettering or other element like "Chicago" or "White Sox" is written across the flying sock.

That logo is ours. End of story. The only way we could lose it is if we knowingly let others use it without our permission. That's how Kimberly Clark's "Kleenex" trademark fell into the public domain.

:fsock

hose
08-21-2003, 06:03 PM

I heard Willsy mention George Bova last night also.

George Bova who dat ? hehehe

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Dawg is right about the Mets and Astros sites. It was their use of the official team logos that got them in trouble. Some chose to change their websites and others decided to shutdown.

The WSI flying sock was created by an artist in Seattle back in the Rivals days (February, 2000). It was specifically created to PREVENT exactly the above sort of situation for WSI. We own it. Anybody using it would be violating our trademark.

If you follow the auctions for Sox memorabilia at eBay, you'll already know there were dozens of different designs used by the Sox in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's featuring some sort of sock, only some of them featuring wings, and fewer still with yellow wings. They stopped using flying sock designs sometime during the early 60's. In utter contrast to the interlocking Old English logo we all know today, there was no "official" flying sock used by the Sox. Their dis-use of that imprecise design (in favor of the simple diamond sock currently on the road uniform) puts the old flying sock into the public domain.

Understanding I am not a patent or commercial lawyer, please note the following. The U.S. government maintains a registry of trademarks. The registry itself does not constitute a legal trademark, but simply notes for the public record who has or hasn't registered such trademarks. It's a legal device for helping litigate disputes. It is not required to enforce a trademark.

What IS required for enforcing a trademark is

1. Evidence that yours was the original use of the trademark,
2. Your trademark did not infringe on anyone else's previous use of the trademark,
3. Your continued use of the trademark, and
4. Your actions to enforce your rights to exclusive use of your trademark.

The WSI logo is different from any other flying sock, past or present, for the following details:

1. There are two wings, each at distinctive angles, and clearly visible,
2. The shape of the wings and the shape of the sock are distinctly different from any previously used flying sock,
3. The sock is rendered in three dimensions with the foot hole at the top clearly illustrated, and
4. No cursive lettering or other element like "Chicago" or "White Sox" is written across the flying sock.

That logo is ours. End of story. The only way we could lose it is if we knowingly let others use it without our permission. That's how Kimberly Clark's "Kleenex" trademark fell into the public domain.

:fsock

Two points:

1. I thought I mentioned the use of team trademarks and MLB logos about seven posts ahead of Dawg. I'm enforcing my copyright rights here! :D:

2. The points you made above were why I mentioned the flying sock on the cap I saw the kid wearing. I didn't get a close look except for the yellow wing(s) at the "airborn" angle. It's close enough to the WSI logo to take a closer look if you haven't.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Two points:

1. I thought I mentioned the use of team trademarks and MLB logos about seven posts ahead of Dawg. I'm enforcing my copyright rights here! :D:

2. The points you made above were why I mentioned the flying sock on the cap I saw the kid wearing. I didn't get a close look except for the yellow wing(s) at the "airborn" angle. It's close enough to the WSI logo to take a closer look if you haven't.

As someone else noted, Topps used a yellow-winged flying sock similar (but not identical) to the WSI flying sock for a few years back in the 50's. Again, the design changed from year to year. There was no "official" logo like we know it today and in either event, neither Topps or the Sox have used this logo for many years.

I suppose MLB Properties could make trouble for WSI as quickly as we could make trouble for MLB. I say let the lion sleep. Besides, this joint doesn't make any money. :smile:

:sahaf
"Would you like to super-size your greasy fries order with your Pale Hose Meal Deal, sir?"