PDA

View Full Version : Pat Brickhouse

Dadawg_77
08-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Did anyone catch Pat on the broadcast? That was the first time I heard the story about Jack helping Veck raise the money to buy the Sox from Allen and keeping the Sox in Chicago. Hell just for that they should put a Brickhouse statue at Comiskey.

Brian26
08-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Pat was in the booth with John and Ed for the next half inning. She has one thing in common with Jack....she can't shut up. She talked halfway through the commercial break before Rooney could get out of there. By the time they came back from break, there was one out and 2 strikes on the next batter. I had the tv on with the radio feed. Farmer actually faked the call on the first bunt out and the next two strikes even though they had happened a minute earlier. If you didn't have the tv on, you would have never have known (credit to Farmio).

WinningUgly!
08-20-2003, 11:46 PM
Why is it that Hawk always leaves the booth when they have a guest?

Brian26
08-20-2003, 11:52 PM
He's better than he used to be. Didn't he used to leave Paciorek for innings at a time? I always figured he was going for a smoke break.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2003, 12:16 AM
So much for the thinking of some that Jack was nothing but a Cubs shrill eh?

Lip

Viva Magglio
08-21-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
So much for the thinking of some that Jack was nothing but a Cubs shrill eh?

Lip

Oh, no. Jack was one of the few people who could accurately claim that he was both a White Sox fan and a Cubs fan. In fact, I recall the first game of the 1998 interleague series at Wrigley. Jack had been recovering from brain surgery and IIRC less than a month before his passing. Jack was there to throw out the first pitch, and he was wearing a hybrid Sox black-Cubbie blue warmup jacket.

Remember, Jack was our announcer from 1945 to 1967 when WGN Television broadcast our games. In those days, WGN only televised home games. Thus, they did about the same amount of games for both teams and WGN had Jack work them all.

I was at the game tonight, and they showed Pat wearing a sleveless Sox jersey on the DiamondVision. She also wore it when she presented the award to Coach Meyer. I cannot help but wonder if that is sort of a dig at the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc.

One of my strongest criticisms of the Cubs was how they handled honoring Jack in comparison to Harry Caray. When Harry passed away, we all know what the Cubs did in his honor. There is the statue of Harry at Addison and Sheffield. And, in what has become a brutal mockery of what Harry did there and here with us, the "guest conductor" practice was started. But what did they do for Jack, who was a much bigger figure in Cubs history than Harry (IMO)? All they did is put cheap "Hey Hey" signs on the foul poles. IMO, the Cubs should have erected a statue of Jack right at Clark & Addision under the red Wrigley Field sign.

And did you know that when the statue of Jack was erected at Pioneer Court (plaza on Michigan Avenue between Tribune Tower and the Equitable Building), the Tribune objected to its proximity to Tribune Tower? Supposedly, it had to be moved several feet south from its original locaiton. If that isn't a slap in the face of Jack, I don't know what is. In the Tribune's mind, Harry is a much bigger figure than Jack.

It was the Tribune that hired Harry in 1982 after Jack retired. At the same time, the Tribune made WGN-TV a cable superstation bringing the Cubs to homes worldwide. It was Harry that helped cultivate the current image of Wrigley Field as the beer garden tourist attraction. This helped turn the Cubs into a Tribune "marketing tool" and no longer an MLB team. Make it clear that I am not ripping Harry at all. But because of the immense marketing success the Tribune enjoyed as a result, Jack is a flea compared to Harry in their minds.

We can rip the Cubs for everything under the sun, whether it be picky or very legitimate. But how the Tribune denegrated Jack Brickhouse is one of the worst transgressions they ever made. And if you ask Mike Murphy, he would agree with me 100%.

Mammoo
08-21-2003, 02:09 AM
I grew up listening to Jack Brickhouse doing White Sox and Bears games. He was indeed a legendary broadcaster. When he died it was like a member of the family leaving; certainly not from an emotional perspective but a loss never the less. :(:

I agree with the point about JB sucking hind tit when it comes to respect from the Tribune Company :angry: to the point where "Brick" is almost a footnote...too bad!

Thanks, Jack! :gulp:

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I grew up listening to Jack Brickhouse doing White Sox and Bears games. He was indeed a legendary broadcaster. When he died it was like a member of the family leaving; certainly not from an emotional perspective but a loss never the less. :(:

I agree with the point about JB sucking hind tit when it comes to respect from the Tribune Company :angry: to the point where "Brick" is almost a footnote...too bad!

Thanks, Jack! :gulp:

I once met Jack Brickhouse (at a Cubs convention of all places, but we won't go into that now) and was able to thank him for helping make me a baseball fan. He was very gracious thanking me.

I saw Jack every year at the Hyatt for SoxFest, too.

TommyJohn
08-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Oh, no. Jack was one of the few people who could accurately claim that he was both a White Sox fan and a Cubs fan. In fact, I recall the first game of the 1998 interleague series at Wrigley. Jack had been recovering from brain surgery and IIRC less than a month before his passing. Jack was there to throw out the first pitch, and he was wearing a hybrid Sox black-Cubbie blue warmup jacket.

Remember, Jack was our announcer from 1945 to 1967 when WGN Television broadcast our games. In those days, WGN only televised home games. Thus, they did about the same amount of games for both teams and WGN had Jack work them all.

I was at the game tonight, and they showed Pat wearing a sleveless Sox jersey on the DiamondVision. She also wore it when she presented the award to Coach Meyer. I cannot help but wonder if that is sort of a dig at the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc.

One of my strongest criticisms of the Cubs was how they handled honoring Jack in comparison to Harry Caray. When Harry passed away, we all know what the Cubs did in his honor. There is the statue of Harry at Addison and Sheffield. And, in what has become a brutal mockery of what Harry did there and here with us, the "guest conductor" practice was started. But what did they do for Jack, who was a much bigger figure in Cubs history than Harry (IMO)? All they did is put cheap "Hey Hey" signs on the foul poles. IMO, the Cubs should have erected a statue of Jack right at Clark & Addision under the red Wrigley Field sign.

And did you know that when the statue of Jack was erected at Pioneer Court (plaza on Michigan Avenue between Tribune Tower and the Equitable Building), the Tribune objected to its proximity to Tribune Tower? Supposedly, it had to be moved several feet south from its original locaiton. If that isn't a slap in the face of Jack, I don't know what is. In the Tribune's mind, Harry is a much bigger figure than Jack.

It was the Tribune that hired Harry in 1982 after Jack retired. At the same time, the Tribune made WGN-TV a cable superstation bringing the Cubs to homes worldwide. It was Harry that helped cultivate the current image of Wrigley Field as the beer garden tourist attraction. This helped turn the Cubs into a Tribune "marketing tool" and no longer an MLB team. Make it clear that I am not ripping Harry at all. But because of the immense marketing success the Tribune enjoyed as a result, Jack is a flea compared to Harry in their minds.

We can rip the Cubs for everything under the sun, whether it be picky or very legitimate. But how the Tribune denegrated Jack Brickhouse is one of the worst transgressions they ever made. And if you ask Mike Murphy, he would agree with me 100%.

Terrific post, Viva. I have always said that myself. It just goes to
show you how much the Tribune Co. prioritizes the bottom line
that they would chose to honor the announcer that helped them
best sell their product. A man like Jack didn't turn the Cubs into
the cash cow that they are now, Harry did. Funny how jerk holes
like Boob Costas wet their pants about all things Cubbie then
rip the Sox for having a "history of greed." I don't think the Sox
have cornered the market on greed in this town.

Another thing that makes the statue of Harry even more
absurd. Most teams erect statues of the PLAYER that
most personified that franchise. You'd think the Cubs
would put up a statue of Ernie Banks. But then again,
he never worked for the Tribune Co. nor did he shill the
Cubs for them.

Medford Bobby
08-21-2003, 06:22 PM
I always thought that there should have been more fanfare to the careers of Jack and Bob Elson too............but we live in a time where every game is now on TV, so you need both radio crews and TV crews and Local crews and cable crews...that there is no lone voice of any team anymore................And alot of these new young guys are hired by the franchise so they have to schill everything including WB's crappy Sharon show......but thats no different then the beer drinking days of many announcers who had to drink the product as a testemonial..................burp! :gulp:
So peopel like us who grew up with these classic broadcasters will never be keen to these new guys...........

"Accepting the Ford Frick award for baseball broadcasting.... :chimp is Chip Carey!" God, I hope I'm dead by then........... :whiner: