PDA

View Full Version : That hitting for the cycle contest

MarqSox
08-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Why do people almost always pick Frank? I mean, how many triples will he get this year? One, if he's lucky? Frank would be my pick if it was "who will hit 3 home runs," but it isn't ...

MRKARNO
08-20-2003, 07:46 PM
jose and maggs should be the only ones who are even considered, only because jose's done it twice

Dadawg_77
08-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
jose and maggs should be the only ones who are even considered, only because jose's done it twice

If you gets odds, go with Graf. He has come close several times.

Jjav829
08-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Why do people almost always pick Frank? I mean, how many triples will he get this year? One, if he's lucky? Frank would be my pick if it was "who will hit 3 home runs," but it isn't ...

Agreed, I have no clue. My only guess is these people are either not the smartest Sox fans or Flubs fans who happen to see the contest. I figure these people probably don't know much about the Sox and their line of thought is something like this..."Pick a player? A Sox player? Wow, well uhh Frank Thomas. O no wait, I think he retired, better pick someone else...........Ok I don't know any other Sox players. Better hope Thomas is still playing."

Seriously, the last four Sox I would pick for the cycle would be Frank, Paulie, Sandy, and Crede. Any pick of any of these is pretty much a waste.

WinningUgly!
08-20-2003, 10:59 PM

I'd put Carl Everett in there too. Somebody actually picked Konerko within the last week or so. The outfielders could run the ball to 3rdbase in time to keep him from getting a triple.

soxruleEP
08-21-2003, 11:04 AM
This has to be the most idiotic contest in the world anyway. To win I must:

1. Select the player who does something done so rarely it is remarkable in and of itself.

2. Have my entry selected at random from among the thousands of entries on the particular day my selection catches lightning in a bottle.

And for this I only win $100,000. The odds are probably in the millions.

RKMeibalane
08-21-2003, 11:12 AM
I'd have to go with Maggs or Everett on this.

Konerko actually had an inside-the-park home run once. I still can't believe that actually happened, given how slow he is.

thepaulbowski
08-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'd have to go with Maggs or Everett on this.

Konerko actually had an inside-the-park home run once. I still can't believe that actually happened, given how slow he is.

Don't discount Robbie Alomar from this. The homer would be the toughest part for him.

Thunderstruck30
08-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Theres a few Sox players I could see getting the cycle: Ordonez, Everett, Lee, Valentin, Graffanino.

Ventura23Fan
08-21-2003, 05:33 PM

I filled out two entries, one for Jose and one for Maggs. Last week, they selected the card where I picked Jose. He hit a single and a double in his first two ABs, and I started to get excited, but that is as far as it went. Still, it was cool to see my name flashed on the screen, and the $25 gift certificate is nice.

Has anyone else here been selected for this contest? Do you have to go to the store to pick up the gift certificate or do they send it to you? It's been over a week and I still have not received anything yet. If I had not been watching, would I even know that my name had been selected?

I think this contest would be much better if it were not an all or nothing deal, say $100 for 1/4 of the cycle, $1000 for 2/4 of the cycle, and $10,000 for 3/4 of the cycle.

JohnJeter
08-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Given the rarity of cycles, they'd make it better by awarding the 100K if ANY Sox hitter got it on the contestant's designated game. Otherwise, the odds, as suggested earlier, are ridiculous.

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Given the rarity of cycles, they'd make it better by awarding the 100K if ANY Sox hitter got it on the contestant's designated game. Otherwise, the odds, as suggested earlier, are ridiculous.

How about a prize for something like the cycle + or if a player gets 4 or more hits and more then 10 bases

SoxFan76
08-21-2003, 09:17 PM
stupidest contest ever. ever since the beginning of the year when i saw that, i still cant believe it. and why do people pick frank?!?!?!

i should pick the starting pitcher to hit for the cycle during an inter-league game.

Dadawg_77
08-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Did anyone pick Joe?

MarqSox
08-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Ed Hoogstra picked Frank today. Who ARE these people?

MarqSox
08-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Some dude just picked Brian Daubach.

I won't even get into how stupid that one is.

With $100,000 on the line, you'd think people would put some thought into this.