PDA

View Full Version : Do You Call Yourself A Sox FAN?

BeerHandle
08-20-2003, 05:04 PM
To All Sox Fans:

As a season ticket holder I was very disappointed in the attendance last night. The Sox are in the pennant race, the have a very good home record and it was 1/2 price Pepsi night. Come on you sorry South Siders! Go buy a ticket and support Chicago's real baseball team. It is $1 dog night tomorrow for you alligator arms!!!

voodoochile
08-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
To All Sox Fans:

As a season ticket holder I was very disappointed in the attendance last night. The Sox are in the pennant race, the have a very good home record and it was 1/2 price Pepsi night. Come on you sorry South Siders! Go buy a ticket and support Chicago's real baseball team. It is $1 dog night tomorrow for you alligator arms!!!

You are preaching to the chorus.

Foulke You
08-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Most people on this board are season ticket holders or go to a lot of games. The ones who live out of state would be there if they could. I'm sick of being preached to. I was there on Monday. I purchased a 7 game package this year and have attended 20 games. I can't make it to all of them. I do have limited amounts of money and time. Besides, let the Cubs fans and Cub loving media worry about the attendance. I just want to win a pennant!

faneidde
08-20-2003, 06:37 PM
I'd be there if I could.

cheeses_h_rice
08-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are preaching to the chorus.

...choir?

:)

Corkinator
08-20-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm there in spirit. However, being in Florida I can't get any closer than MLB.com Gameday. Life is hard.

ewokpelts
08-20-2003, 06:55 PM
i was there........season ticket exchange dates rule...and I brought 4 others with me.......and i'm still contemplating going tonight...15 mins before game time........you should be getting your friends to come...convince people to buy the coupon books, and go to more gmaes yourself(assuming you have a partial plan).....
Gene

steff
08-20-2003, 07:02 PM
To All Sox Fans:

Oh please! :whiner:

40+ games this year.

Go away. :angry:

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-20-2003, 07:08 PM
question on the coupon books: can you buy them outside of the park? i plan on going on friday and i'd like to get the coupon book. My dad got offered it at his work but thought it was a fake or something so he didn't get it and it's too late to order from the phone number listed on whitesox.com

emaholic
08-20-2003, 07:51 PM
I'd go to more games if I had money.

steff
08-20-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
question on the coupon books: can you buy them outside of the park? i plan on going on friday and i'd like to get the coupon book. My dad got offered it at his work but thought it was a fake or something so he didn't get it and it's too late to order from the phone number listed on whitesox.com

Friday's game is almost sold out. Upper corners only avaliable from what my ticket rep told me

Lip Man 1
08-20-2003, 11:19 PM
Maybe Sox fans only drinke Coke? ??

Lip

gosox41
08-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by steff
Friday's game is almost sold out. Upper corners only avaliable from what my ticket rep told me

Gotta love Elvis night. Luckily for me I wisely made plans along time ago to NOT go to the game. It's the same thing every year and it gets annoying.

Bob

Viva Magglio
08-20-2003, 11:54 PM

During the postgame, Wills said that about 29,000 tickets are sold for Friday's game. 25,000 are sold for Saturday's game.

voodoochile
08-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
...choir?

them 2... :)

IronFisk
08-21-2003, 12:09 AM
To All Sox Fans:

:o:
I consider myself a hell of a Sox fan - I know so since it feels REAL GOOD to see the flubs lose!

Unknown to Uncle Jerry, we are all not lawyers, engineers, doctors, developers, etc. Funny how the attendance goes out the roof when the ticket prices drop. The Atlanta Falcons hooked on to this philosophy, and are enjoying a resurgence (yeah, Vick helps too).

I will never understand the naked, blind greed of the owners. From the absurd amount for parking, to the food, beer, merchandise, etc. Anyway, it should be apparent to them by now that by lowering ticket prices, and keeping everything else level, they would make MORE money, generate better fan interest, and fill that concrete beast more often.

As for me, I have little time or money to attend, but I do when I can - 1/2 price nights. The last was the KC loss. Yeah, I was only 3 rows from the roof, but I had a blast. The fans were great, as long as they didnt pick a fight with me :D:

Just for a comparison, check out the prices at Kauffman - quite stunning.

steff
08-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
During the postgame, Wills said that about 29,000 tickets are sold for Friday's game. 25,000 are sold for Saturday's game.

I feel safe in saying I think he was off by at least 5K for Friday. Nothing left in the lower bowl this morning. Best avaliable for 2 is the 15th row in 536.
I'm on the fence... I get to plenty of games that I don't need to fight with 40K others to see one more. It's nice to see the park filled, but I really do like the 30K crowds.

xil357
08-21-2003, 08:45 AM
I'd be there if I could. 950 miles is a bit of a one-way hike... Next year I will plan my annual "escape the Texas heat for a week" Chicago trip when the Sox are in town, unlike this past summer.

I suffered through Elvis night when the Sox played at the Rangers (Colon's meltdown game). They should have called it little twirps night as half of the 40,000 at the Ballpark at Arlington were under the age of 10 and hopped up on cotton candy, lemon chills, Dr Pepper, Red Fusion and Funyons. My new vow is "school night" games only. It wasn't so bad once my wife and I moved to join two other Sox fans in the CF bleachers and we cheered on the Sox and ridiculed the Rangers for being both in last place and 17 games back. I almost got my arse impaled by some drunk Rangers fans for my sarcastic mocking, but it was a good time of some otherwise good-humored give and take. Let's have the last laugh this weekend -- GO SOX!

As for the greedy owners and high-price parking, hey, read my sig.

BeerHandle
08-21-2003, 09:57 AM
I didn't mean to preach to the choir, but rather vent my frustration. I know we all attend as many games as possible and are the die hards.

It is just so frustrating that the attendance was low again last night. With a higher attendance average, the more money comes in, with more money the better chance for the Sox to sign extremely valuable free agents in the off season!!!

34 Inch Stick
08-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Beer, I've got a deal for you. I'll let you work for 11 hours then come home to feed the kid and put him to bed, take care of the little lady, pay the bills and a mortgage and finally get 1 hour of half asleep free time and you let me go to as many games as I want. Sound like a deal?

Until then why don't you just bring a friend, call him 34 inch stick and pretend it is me. Then we can all be happy.

BeerHandle
08-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Again, I'm not preaching to the die hards. Just venting!!! Instead of brining a 34 Inch Stick, I'm bringing 15 friends to tonights game. Just trying to do my part!

alohafri
08-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Beer, I understand what you're saying. I have lots of friends and acquaintances who profess to be Sox fans, yet they only go to 1 or 2 games per season. These are folks who live at most 40 miles from Sox park AND they have the money to go to lots of games. I get irritated with them and I cannot understand why they are so lazy. I'm not blaming those who don't have the money, or who have heavy family obligations. We spend over 2k every season on Sox games--money that we should be using to fix up our house.

I also agree that lowering ticket prices, even if just for the UD, would bring in lots more fans. I still can't understand the reasoning behind charging over $12 for a seat in the UD. Seems to me that a $7 or $10 butt in an UD seat is better than NO butt in the seat.

(Mrs. Aloha)

BeerHandle
08-21-2003, 11:28 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I do believe that the Sox should evaluate their Fan Base demographics and come to the realization that their prices are not in line.

There are those that can afford to go to many more games (which you noted); however, there are many that can not unless the ticket prices come down. Also, it is time to allow the 500 seat fans to enjoy the fan deck!! I can understand not allowing it on sold out games, but when it is isn't full they should allow them to come down!!!

Comparison of Ticket Prices in the AL Central (minus the Tigers)
Cleveland
$40.00 Field Box
$27.00 Infield Lower Box
$27.00 Baseline Box
$27.00 View Box
$25.00 Lower Box
$21.00 Infield Upper Box
$20.00 Lower Reserve
$20.00 Mezzanine
$19.00 Upper Box
$12.00 Bleachers
$10.00 Upper Reserve
$7.00 Reserve General Admission
$5.00 Corner Reserve General Admission

KC
$22.00 Club Box
$21.00 Dugout Box
$18.00 Field Box
$18.00 Dugout Plaza
$16.00 Field Plaza
$12.00 View Box
$10.00 Outfield Plaza
$10.00 View Level (Infield)
$5.00 HyVee View Level

Twins
$31.00 Lower Club
$29.00 Diamond View
$21.00 Lower Reserved
$14.00 Upper Club
$14.00 Lower General Admission
$14.00 Family Section (Includes Soft Drink)
$6.00 Upper General Admission

WHITE SOX
$40 Club Level
$29 Lower Deck Box
$24 Lower Deck Reserved
$22 Bleachers
$20 Upper Deck Box
$14 Upper Deck Reserved

It is obvious the Sox need to lower their prices for the upper deck and bleachers! For those that are not season ticket holders take advantage of this promo.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/schedule/cws_schedule_specials.jsp

Go Sox!

steff
08-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. I do believe that the Sox should evaluate their Fan Base demographics and come to the realization that their prices are not in line.

There are those that can afford to go to many more games (which you noted); however, there are many that can not unless the ticket prices come down. Also, it is time to allow the 500 seat fans to enjoy the fan deck!! I can understand not allowing it on sold out games, but when it is isn't full they should allow them to come down!!!

Comparison of Ticket Prices in the AL Central (minus the Tigers)
Cleveland
$40.00 Field Box
$27.00 Infield Lower Box
$27.00 Baseline Box
$27.00 View Box
$25.00 Lower Box
$21.00 Infield Upper Box
$20.00 Lower Reserve
$20.00 Mezzanine
$19.00 Upper Box
$12.00 Bleachers
$10.00 Upper Reserve
$7.00 Reserve General Admission
$5.00 Corner Reserve General Admission

KC
$22.00 Club Box
$21.00 Dugout Box
$18.00 Field Box
$18.00 Dugout Plaza
$16.00 Field Plaza
$12.00 View Box
$10.00 Outfield Plaza
$10.00 View Level (Infield)
$5.00 HyVee View Level

Twins
$31.00 Lower Club
$29.00 Diamond View
$21.00 Lower Reserved
$14.00 Upper Club
$14.00 Lower General Admission
$14.00 Family Section (Includes Soft Drink)
$6.00 Upper General Admission

WHITE SOX
$40 Club Level
$29 Lower Deck Box
$24 Lower Deck Reserved
$22 Bleachers
$20 Upper Deck Box
$14 Upper Deck Reserved

It is obvious the Sox need to lower their prices for the upper deck and bleachers! For those that are not season ticket holders take advantage of this promo.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/schedule/cws_schedule_specials.jsp

Go Sox!

Compare them to the MARKET THEY ARE IN!!! Compare them to the economics in THIS CITY!!

Geez.. compared to NY a game here is peanuts... but heaven for bid you make that comparison.

JasonC23
08-21-2003, 12:22 PM
We're not the only ones to suggest dropping ticket prices...

http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2223

(Don't worry, this is a free Baseball Prospectus article.)

voodoochile
08-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Compare them to the MARKET THEY ARE IN!!! Compare them to the economics in THIS CITY!!

Geez.. compared to NY a game here is peanuts... but heaven for bid you make that comparison.

I agree in principle, but Jerry needs to do something to put butts in the seats. Winning is obviously crucial, but Mrs. A is right. $10 a seat UD seats on weeknights would definitely help the Sox draw more fans.

The problem that Reinsdorf currently has is that he compares his prices to the flubbie prices and sets them accordingly. Right now because of his own mistakes he clearly has a product that is perceived as being second-class. That means he has to find a reason for fans to come to see that product and change those perceptions. Lower prices is a huge incentive to the casual fan as evidenced by the higher attendance on 1/2-price nights.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Just a few thoughts...

I found it interesting that in today's Daily Southtown recap story they said the Sox drew 17+ Wednesday night.

The Tribune said they drew 22+ last night.

I don't understand where the difference lies.

As I mentioned perhaps on another thread. The Sox have averaged just over 30 thousand for their last 28 dates, if that trend continues they'll end the season drawing over 2 million for the first time since 1993. That seems very reasonable to me considering the club hasn't won anything but one divisional title since the strike.

As far as the mention of the Yankee ticket prices in comparison to the Sox, when the Sox win three or four World Series then they can charge high prices.

Till then they should go with lower prices and hope to make up the difference in quantity.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
08-21-2003, 01:06 PM
WHITE SOX
$40 Club Level
$29 Lower Deck Box
$24 Lower Deck Reserved
$22 Bleachers
$20 Upper Deck Box
$14 Upper Deck Reserved

Just a couple of points on ticket pricing at the Cell.

1. You can forget about the price of bleacher seats EVER coming down. Compared to the "bargain" upper deck seats, the Sox are selling boatloads of bleacher seats at the current $22 price. Those seats are hugely popular with Sox Fans because the view is pretty good and the amenities are outstanding. Expect the Sox to keep raising bleacher seat prices, probably at a faster rate than any other group of seats. That's been the trend for over 12 years now.

2. The price of upper-deck seats, especially the nosebleed "upper deck reserved" seats, are ridiculously too expensive. It's my theory that the Sox deliberately price these tickets too high because they know the fans who buy them will give themselves the "Comiskey Upgrade" and end up sitting in the lower bowl. Sox Security never enforced the upper deck seat restrictions until the Ligue and Dybas family outings occurred this past year. Now that UD patrons MUST SIT in the upper deck, expect the price of these seats to become more reasonable. Don't be surprised if the Sox offer "2 for 1" or "half-price" promotions specifically for the UD seats next season.

Ticket pricing strategy is all about supply and demand. After the Ligue and Dybas debacles, the Sox pricing system is due for an overhaul.

:gallas
"Whatever you say, PHG. Just don't touch Flying Elvis Night, okay?"

Medford Bobby
08-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Yea if I wan't on the left coast, I'd love to see the Sox play. The one reason Uncle Jerry won't drop prices is he CAN get people in at these prices, then why put out 20,000 upper deck tix for $7, when you can get half that amount in and get at least 14.00 dollars....It doesn't make cents to open up the park for a few 1000 fans in at 7 dollars when you can get a bigger catch with less fans............. :angry: Now if we lived in market with one club, I'd think you would see lower prices...But the Sox know they are not the only game in town during the summer i.e., Cups, soccer, minor league baseball, and crap you can sit at home naked with a cold :gulp: beer and see all the games on TV : :cool:

:comiskey "My God, I gotta go with the Sunshine Boys and their ticket prices, or your gonna get gamblers milling in the clubhouse"

moochpuppy
08-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Do the Sox offer any family packages?

The Twins have $49 Fridays which include:

4 lower GA tickets (reg $14)
4 slices of Papa John's pizza
4 soft drinks
Papa John's buy-one-get-one free coupon.

They also have $49 Saturdays which include:

4 lower GA tickets (reg $14)
4 Dome dogs
4 soft drinks
2 Dairy Queen buy-one-get-one free Blizzard coupons
2 Twins scorecards

For a family these are great deals.

jabrch
08-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Beer, I've got a deal for you. I'll let you work for 11 hours then come home to feed the kid and put him to bed, take care of the little lady, pay the bills and a mortgage and finally get 1 hour of half asleep free time and you let me go to as many games as I want. Sound like a deal?

I'd highly suggest against offering this crowd the chance to "take care of the little lady" - Ya never know how who is gonna take you up on it!!!!

Just kidding, of course...I know what you are talking about. Most of us are not billionaires and we all work our butts off. This isn't the group that needs lectures about going to games. We all go to as many as we can. The lecture ought to be delivered to the rest of the city that hasn't embraced this team. I don't know what we can do about it.

I plan on going to the game tonight. Go Sox!

ewokpelts
08-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Here's some unadvertised(or rarely advertised) Sox promos that you and your buddies can partake in.

1. Pepsi Kids Club: If you have kids, you SHOULD be doing this. Even if you dont, make one up. For 20 bucks, you get, aside from kid specific goodies like member cards, and a kids club parade on field, SIX PASSES FOR THE UDR, with upgrade options for half price. So, if you divide it up, you're paying little more than three bucks to sit in the udr, or as much as 18 bucks for a lower level ticket(3.33+ highest half off ticket). Considering that LDB seats are 29....you can save as much as 11 bucks. I mean, your kid can.....

2.Senior Days: I know , none of us can remember a white sox ws winner, but we can buy tickets like we did. On weekday DAY games, senior tickets are half rpice all levels. You can buy these tix via ticketbastard or at the box office. And since the scanners dont recognize what type of ticket, only that it's for that day, you can get an extra half off day. The last two dates are 9/11 vs twinkies, and 9/24 vs Yankees.

3. Kids days: Everyone knows this promo, but with the scanners i emtioned in the last item, you could try and get away with it. Worse it'll cost you is a buck, and jerry can notch one more ticket sold. The last two dates are 8/24 vs texas, and 9/21 vs the royals. As always, this is a door promo, not advance ticketing promo.

4. The sox coupon book. We all know about it now. If you're not a full season ticketholder, buy this book. The two LDB tickets should seal the deal for you. If you use all the coupons, you can save up to 450 bucks, coincidentally the cost of one partial ticket plan in the UDB.

5. The Sox recycling program. This is a long running, not hugely popular program that can earn you FREE TICKETS. For every 25 cups(beer, soda, ect) you bring to the designated location(sec 154 in the LD, and i think there is a UD location as well), you get a blue soupon good for sox stuff. The more coupons you get, the better stuff you can redeem for. for 30 coupons, you get 2 tickets to any tues-thurs game in the UDB, with half off upgrades. I think you need to pick up 650 cups to getit, but if you have kids, it's a great thing they can do to learn the value of hard work and the dollar. I had enough coupons for the tickets AND a 2003 sox calendar(the giveaway version). If you do this on fireworks night, you can get a lot of cups (and help from strangers too).

NOW.......Here are Some things the Sox SHOULD DO......
1. Ticket family packs. The Sox USED to do this(you had to go to a Dominick's tm location and buy them) but discontinued it in the late 90's. Mastercard and MLB have a program pretty much like it now. Four tix, food and drink coupons for a discounted price, provided u use your master card to buy it. Half the teams in the league do this, but strangely enough, not the sox. Rob Gallas, you listening?

2. Adult Fan Club. Not a xxx version, but something that the over 14 crowd can take advanteage. Clear Channel(they who own the World Mus....I mean Tweeter Center) has a preferred ticket club called GetAccess. You get, in addition to ticket presales and upgrade specials, a member kit that includes 4 lawn vouchers, and food and drink specials. I think the sox can do wonders with a similar program. And if they are worried about losing money, they can underwrite the cost with corporate sponsors(something they love doing). Even if it was made all ages(possible sponsored by Pepsi?), you can get better cash flow that's less relaitn on timed ticket sales, especially in X-mas time. Make a "club" specific web site, throw in copupons(Armour Hot Dogs, Pepsi, Tyson foods) for either ballpark or store use, and you got a winner. They can then use the data from the site to mine data for further programs or season ticket sales. Again Rob, u listening?

That's all i got for now.
Gene

Thunderstruck30
08-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Im only 15 so I dont have a car or money. I only go to 3-4 games a year. But trust me, when I have those Ill be at lots of Sox games.

emaholic
08-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Im only 15 so I dont have a car or money. I only go to 3-4 games a year. But trust me, when I have those Ill be at lots of Sox games.

Exactly. I'm 16 and I don't have a car or a job, so I have to depend on my parents to take me to the games. Since my dad is losing his job, we can't go to as many Sox games or Blackhawk games as we would like to. But I know that once I get a job and a car, then I'll definitely go to more games.

sox_fan_forever
08-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Add me to the list of teens without a car, although I do have a job thankfully. I have to depend on my parents to take me to games, but they have done a pretty good job this year. I have been to an all-time high 6 Sox games this year (with a record of 5-1 :smile: ), plus the All Star Game. I am going to try to get to a few more before the end of the season as well.

34 Inch Stick
08-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I'd highly suggest against offering this crowd the chance to "take care of the little lady" - Ya never know how who is gonna take you up on it!!!!

Just kidding, of course...I know what you are talking about. Most of us are not billionaires and we all work our butts off. This isn't the group that needs lectures about going to games. We all go to as many as we can. The lecture ought to be delivered to the rest of the city that hasn't embraced this team. I don't know what we can do about it.

I plan on going to the game tonight. Go Sox!

It's a package deal though. You have to take the kid, the wife and the mortgage or no deal. And the other 23 hours 45 minutes of the day after "taking care" is done is not treat.