PDA

View Full Version : rose to the hall?

Hokiesox
08-20-2003, 04:21 PM
I've heard a lot of talk recently that Pete Rose may be reinstated and could be sent off to the hall of fame. While I believe he belongs in the hall of fame, my thoughts turn to another person in near similar circumstances.

What about Shoeless Joe? If Rose is reinstated, I think Jackson should be put in the HOF too. Why isn't anyone in the media mentioning Shoeless Joe's name when they talk about Rose?

LASOXFAN
08-20-2003, 04:40 PM
More than Joe (who took the money), Buck Weaver should be in the hall. But that rat bastard Rose will likely get in because for some unkown reason people continue to love that guy. I can't explain it. The rules on gambling are made perfectly clear to any player or coach. He chose to violate those rules, he deserves to be punished. He's a scum bag, a liar and a self-centered piece of crap.

Thunderstruck30
08-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Joe Jacksons only crime was knowing about the fix and not squealing on his teammates.

voodoochile
08-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Joe Jacksons only crime was knowing about the fix and not squealing on his teammates.

Reason enough to be banned forever, IMO. Didn't he owe the fans a fair series?

thepaulbowski
08-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
More than Joe (who took the money), Buck Weaver should be in the hall. But that rat bastard Rose will likely get in because for some unkown reason people continue to love that guy. I can't explain it. The rules on gambling are made perfectly clear to any player or coach. He chose to violate those rules, he deserves to be punished. He's a scum bag, a liar and a self-centered piece of crap.

The Hall of Fame is for great baseball players, not moral individuals. Last time I checked Ty Cobb wasn't a fine upstanding individual during his day, but that should have any bearing on his entrance to the Hall of Fame. Being reinstated into baseball...that's a differenct story. I believe most lump the two subjects together and they should be two separate issues. Let him in the Hall, just don't let him into baseball.

The reason everybody likes him is because he plays the role of underdog well.

Shoeless Joe
08-20-2003, 07:15 PM
:shoeless

"I think I should be in if Sammy Soso is being considered a HOF"

Hokiesox
08-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30

Actually, go to your local university library and read the NYT articles from 1920-21 about the whole thing. Jackson took the money. All this urban legend about him not taking it and blah blah is BS. He took it. He tried to give it back, when he realized he was a moron to take it, but you can't give crooked gamblers their money back. I agree with the guy who said if Cobb is in the HOF, Jackson should be too. Personally, I think the HOF should be for someone who excelled at playing baseball. I don't care about what they did off the field, put an asterisk on their plaque if that would make you feel better, but Jackson (once of the best lifetime BA's, described as one of the best natural hitters of his day) and Rose (all time hits leader, among the leaders in lifetime BA) should be in the HOF for their baseball achievements.

TornLabrum
08-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Actually, go to your local university library and read the NYT articles from 1920-21 about the whole thing. Jackson took the money. All this urban legend about him not taking it and blah blah is BS. He took it. He tried to give it back, when he realized he was a moron to take it, but you can't give crooked gamblers their money back. I agree with the guy who said if Cobb is in the HOF, Jackson should be too. Personally, I think the HOF should be for someone who excelled at playing baseball. I don't care about what they did off the field, put an asterisk on their plaque if that would make you feel better, but Jackson (once of the best lifetime BA's, described as one of the best natural hitters of his day) and Rose (all time hits leader, among the leaders in lifetime BA) should be in the HOF for their baseball achievements.

The version that Cicotte told, iirc, is that he pretty much forced Jackson to take the money, and Jackson tried to give it to Comiskey. Harry Grabiner told Jackson to keep it.

FJA
08-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
I've heard a lot of talk recently that Pete Rose may be reinstated and could be sent off to the hall of fame. While I believe he belongs in the hall of fame, my thoughts turn to another person in near similar circumstances.

What about Shoeless Joe? If Rose is reinstated, I think Jackson should be put in the HOF too. Why isn't anyone in the media mentioning Shoeless Joe's name when they talk about Rose?

If Shoeless Joe was still alive, I guarantee you people would be talking about him like they talk about Rose. Rose should be in the Hall (but shouldn't be back in baseball), and people want to see it happen while he's still around.