PDA

View Full Version : More Tinkering On The Horizon?

RKMeibalane
08-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Mr. Clutch: Tony Graffanino spends most of his time on the bench, but the Sox' 31-year-old utility man always seems to come through when he's called on.

Graffanino set up Monday night's win over Anaheim by leading off the ninth inning with a double and he scored he first 2 runs in Tuesday night's victory.

"He's come up with some big plays, some big hits,'' Jerry Manuel said. "He's given us a chance to give guys a breather and not miss a beat.''

With Joe Crede in need of a break, Graffanino made his second straight start at third base Thursday.

"He's emerged into one of the better versatile players in the game,'' Manuel said. "I wouldn't be afraid to use him in the outfield, I wouldn't be afraid to use him as a pinch hitter or a pinch runner. He can play any of the four infield positions. I probably wouldn't catch him, but I don't think he would mind.''

Brian26
08-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Does Tony G. manage at all? There might be a position open for player-coach soon.

Fisk72
08-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Count me as a Tony G. supporter. I know it's Crede's job, but Tony just seems to be the spark our offense has been needing lately.

CHISOXFAN13
08-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Crede has been on a bit of a hot streak. His average is up near .250 now.

While Graffanino did get a hit to start the 9th inning rally on Monday, that is his only hit in the series. Get Crede back in the lineup

FarmerAndy
08-20-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm in Graffy's corner too, but I like him better in the middle infield. I think he's looked good at shortstop this year, and should play there when we face lefty starters.

Valentin is not the same player he was in 2000, it wouldn't bother me to see him sit 2-3 times a week.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2003, 06:00 PM
You would think by now Jerry Manuel would be smart enough to never again to use the adjective "versatile" referencing any ballplayer he is managing. Giving Manuel ballplayers who are "versatile" is akin to giving Samson a haircut.

The man needs to be saved from himself. An early retirement to Sacramento sounds about right.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The man needs to be saved from himself. An early retirement to Sacramento sounds about right.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Aubu Dabi. We can't risk allowing Manuel to remain in the country. He's a threat to anyone and anything he comes in contact with.

LauraJ14
08-20-2003, 06:19 PM
I heard Bruce Levine say on the radio that Joe Crede has a sore
toe and that is why Graffy has played the last 2 games.

MarqSox
08-20-2003, 06:30 PM
I tell ya what, I wouldn't mind at all if Graffy was our starting 3B in Game 1 of the ALDS. Nothing against Crede, but you don't want jitters if you can avoid them.