PDA

View Full Version : Question on the Tejada talk

kittle42
08-20-2003, 11:32 AM
There's been a lot of talk about Miguel Tejada in several threads. Is this maybe we'll sign him talk just pure speculation or did some writer, exec, etc. actually mention it first? Thanks.

Brian26
08-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Speculation started on this board by a couple of guys. No executive ever mentioned it. Any writer who did mention it probably stole it from this site anyway (Mariotti has ripped us off several times).

Unless HSC knows if this was the "knock your socks off" trade, there have been no hints other than speculation here that Tejada may come here over the winter.

dougs78
08-20-2003, 01:13 PM
I think its more of a pipe dream really. Since Jose is a FA after his year and with two good shortstops potentially on the market (Tejada and Kaz Matsui) I think its just a speculation that if Jerry decides to spend some money, this might be where it goes.

Although if we can't even win this division, you can forget all of that in my opinion.

TheRockinMT
08-20-2003, 04:00 PM
I think there was actually a baseball writer that mentioned Tejada was available and the Sox were a team with possible interest. However, it has been so long ago now and the center of so many posts who can remember?

adsit
08-20-2003, 04:22 PM
I remember the Diamondbacks were hot for him in the rumor mill, too. I think this was largely the result of Oakland putting his name out there to see what he'd bring them. I think the A's would be crazy to let him go, but the A's are as tight as the White Sox with payroll.

I'd like to go after him in the off season. Our chances to get him probably aren't that good, but we should try. And those chances are improved considering the Yankees have already stolen an A's shortstop.

RichH55
08-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by adsit
I remember the Diamondbacks were hot for him in the rumor mill, too. I think this was largely the result of Oakland putting his name out there to see what he'd bring them. I think the A's would be crazy to let him go, but the A's are as tight as the White Sox with payroll.

I'd like to go after him in the off season. Our chances to get him probably aren't that good, but we should try. And those chances are improved considering the Yankees have already stolen an A's shortstop.

The Diamondbacks won't have the money or situation to go after Tejada....The Dodgers will be in the market for a SS, but Kaz makes a ton more sense from their perspective(although you could see Seattle in on him as well).....The reason the Tejada rumors pop up is because they make alot of sense....especially since money on his deal will be down and the White Sox should make a tidy profit this year.

Daver
08-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
the White Sox should make a tidy profit this year.

I would be willing to bet that the Sox make a tidy profit every year.

soxwon
08-20-2003, 06:57 PM
i really think we will go after AROD next year- he wanted to come to us a few years back, and he said we would win the division this year.
we get rid of jose and colon and we could get AROD.

RichH55
08-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
I would be willing to bet that the Sox make a tidy profit every year.

Tidy is a relative concept....I would be willing to bet they make a profit every year Daver, but I was saying they should be doing better this year by a good margin than in previous years. Lower Payroll, All-Star Game, and winning is bringing more fans....all adds up to higher profits than in years past, which should mean better things for the future

Tragg
08-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I think its more of a pipe dream really. Since Jose is a FA after his year and with two good shortstops potentially on the market (Tejada and Kaz Matsui) I think its just a speculation that if Jerry decides to spend some money, this might be where it goes.

Although if we can't even win this division, you can forget all of that in my opinion.

Is Tejada that much of a defensive whiz to warrant spending a ton of cash on yet another player who can't get on base? He and Jose have basically the same OBP, Tejada is good for 5-10 more dingers (except this year), and Tejada will cost a whole lot more.

Tejada would not cure any ills on this team.

gosox41
08-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Is Tejada that much of a defensive whiz to warrant spending a ton of cash on yet another player who can't get on base? He and Jose have basically the same OBP, Tejada is good for 5-10 more dingers (except this year), and Tejada will cost a whole lot more.

Tejada would not cure any ills on this team.

I agree. I wouldn't get to enthralled with Tejada because he isn't worth big time money. That money could be spent elsewhere. Of course I said that about Konerko and look how that's turned out.

Bob

MarkEdward
08-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Is Tejada that much of a defensive whiz to warrant spending a ton of cash on yet another player who can't get on base?

It may be a surprise to some, but Valentin actually leads all AL shortstops in defensive Win Shares. (http://www.baseballgraphs.com/winshares/alwinfield.html#ss) Tejada is second even though he's played more innings at short.

For what it's worth, I don't want to go after Tejada. Either try to get Valentin back cheap, try Graffanino at short, or sign Chris Woodward. If we still had Jimenez, he would make a fine SS for our 2004 team.

dougs78
08-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Tejada may not be having the greatest season this year, but lets not forget he was the AL MVP last season. You don't win that award for nothing. Not to say his pricetag may not be higher than his value, but I think its hard to flatly say that you are not interested in getting him.

kempsted
08-21-2003, 08:45 AM
If we still had Jimenez, he would make a fine SS for our 2004 team.
:chunks

OK a guy who can't play second would make a fine SS ?!? :?:

jabrch
08-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
i really think we will go after AROD next year- he wanted to come to us a few years back, and he said we would win the division this year.

Frankly, I don't want that albatross of a contract. For 25MM we could get Tejada and Colon. I think that would be far better than getting A-Rod and losing Colon in the process. You don't like our 5th starter now? Imagine if he was our fourth starter and we had to use a minor leaguer as a 5th starter?

My two cents...Keep Colon, he has pitched very well for us. Make a play at Matsui or Tejada. (I'd like Matsui - better D and a leadoff hitter). Try and Resign Robbie and you have a sweet IF.

Remember, Frank's salary also comes off the books this year unless we resign him.

Procol Harum
08-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by soxwon

Like that'll ever happen....

:reinsy
"My hands were tied--in order to sign A-Rod I needed those good-for-nothing Sox fans to buy 40,000 season tickets and an average of 8.6 churros per person. They failed me again! I wonder if Bud and Wendy would think about selling Royce to me?"

:hitless
"Mmmmm, I luvved those churros...."

RichH55
08-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Like that'll ever happen....

:reinsy
"My hands were tied--in order to sign A-Rod I needed those good-for-nothing Sox fans to buy 40,000 season tickets and an average of 8.6 churros per person. They failed me again! I wonder if Bud and Wendy would think about selling Royce to me?"

:hitless
"Mmmmm, I luvved those churros...."

If you change it to a combo of 8.6 Polishes and Dippin' Dots...Im sold:)

MarkEdward
08-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by kempsted

OK a guy who can't play second would make a fine SS ?!? :?:

Well, he played some SS for the Padres (and 10 games at short for the Sox in 2002), and his range factor was above league average. That leads me to believe that he could've been at least a decent defensive SS.

Brian26
08-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, he played some SS for the Padres (and 10 games at short for the Sox in 2002), and his range factor was above league average. That leads me to believe that he could've been at least a decent defensive SS.

Jiminez' range at secondbase was nothing less than TERRIBLE. Putting him at shortstop would have been ungodly bad. He wouldn't get to anything.