PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Monday Night Crew on Sox Clubhouse

TheRockinMT
08-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Watched the Monday night ESPN game and had the chance to see the Sox play. However, the announcers spent a lot of time dissing the Sox and their team chemistry. They said that when you walk into the clubhouse all you see is several cliques in different corners of the room. They also kept panning to the dugout in the last inning and saying there was no fire in the players as only a couple of guys were standing at the rail trying to stay interested. Of course when Graffy doubled more stood up and when the Big Hurt hit his game winner the team ran to home plate to greet him in a big way. The announcers earlier said they didn't think the Sox had jelled as a team.

Anyone have comments or observations about this issue?

fledgedrallycap
08-20-2003, 11:04 AM
I don't think there is an issue, just the media trying to fill the dead air. The Sox are fine and most reports have this being the best Sox clubhouse in recent memory.

soxrme
08-20-2003, 11:04 AM
They showed the Sox dugout and Frank and Everitt were having a discussion on hitting. There was also talking by the gatorade how they needed to score in the 6th. These guys should just shut up :angry:

Steve Bartman
08-20-2003, 11:05 AM
The only problem in the clubhouse I have heard of this year was everyone except Frank Thomas hated D'Angelo Jimenez. Other than that, I think Alomar and Everett were welcomed additions.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-20-2003, 11:09 AM
First of all I don't know who the "Boob" was doing play by play. I am hoping at some point we could get the A team of Miller and Morgan at least they know the game and are entertaining. Secondly Sutcliffe is just an idiot. I thought he was doing a Royals game. I know he lives in KC, and does some of their games, but he was going on and on about how much chemistry they had, and how hungry they were, blah blah, blah.

I wouldn't worry what those two morons think, they probably got to the park 2 hours before the game started anyway.

NYSF

Brian26
08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
The White Sox clubhouse is fine. These guys like each other. Truthfully, do you think some out-of-town B-team announcer on Espn knows more about the Sox than us? He's just filling dead air and making conversation. Anyone who watches the games can see the little things between the guys that demonstrate team chemistry. Last week in Anaheim in the dugout, Buehrle walked by Caballo and patted him on the head as he was going to get a drink of water, like he was telling him to "keep his head up" in that tough game they lost. This year's team looks as solid chemistry-wise as any team in the last 10 years (including the 2000 team).

DrCrawdad
08-20-2003, 12:59 PM
When you have nothing to talk about, talk about team chemistry. Team chemisty, there is one subject that I'm tired hearing about. And how do these media guys measure it, especially these network media guys? They're in the clubhouse, what for an hour before one game and they can talk about the chemistry?

MRKARNO
08-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Everett and Maggs were talking together while trotting out to the outfield yesterday

dickallen15
08-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Chemistry is BS. If you are winning you supposedly have great chemistry, if your losing it is bad. What was Sutcliffe's take on the Angels who came back this year with roughly the same team as last. Did the chemistry change? I

TheRockinMT
08-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
The only problem in the clubhouse I have heard of this year was everyone except Frank Thomas hated D'Angelo Jimenez. Other than that, I think Alomar and Everett were welcomed additions.

Actually what you wrote is what I was thinking too when I first made the post. I kept thinking through the game why Sutcliffe kept bragging up the Angels and KC. It was a perfect ending though wasn't it?

pudge
08-20-2003, 02:01 PM
These announcers are morons... they come to town for one friggin' game and suddenly they know everything about a team's chemistry. It's a flat-out joke. I have Directv, so I love listening to other team's announcers talk about the Sox as if they know anything. It's just dumb.

ChiSoxBobette
08-20-2003, 02:26 PM
What do you expect , the idiots doing the game probably said there was no fire when Frank hit the H.R. to win the game. Its espn and they only love the flub. Its the in thing to do. Those guys doing the game would have probably loved to be anywhere but White Sox park. This year the only problems I've heard about was with the players and Jimenez I've heard the same thing but I heard it was Carlos Lee who wanted to slap D'J around. I hope none of the media gives our team any respect and our ballplayers get cranked up about it. The only announcer for espn that said the White Sox have a good team was Rob Dibble he just questioned how a team with this much talent can underachieve like we have and I agree with him. If this team plays up to all its talent we would have been 8 games up on both k.c. and the twinkies, but I think a lot of the problems stem from our manager who I think just can't get to this team as far as motivating them.

Go White Sox

RKMeibalane
08-20-2003, 02:51 PM
When the camera showed that shot of the dugout, Sutcliffe remarked how almost no one was around. What he probably didn't realize was that maybe some of them went to the clubhouse to get something between innings, since that's the only chance to get.

I'm tired of listening to ESPN trashing the Sox. Most of what they say is garbage. Sutcliffe also said that the team has no leaders. I know that's not true. Jose Valentin is a leader. Carl Everett has been here a short time, but he has taken on a leadership. Frank seems to have finally embraced being a leader, as well.

It's amazing. You hand someone a microphone or a pen, and he suddenly thinks he knows everything.

LASOXFAN
08-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Sutcliffe loves taking jabs at the Sox, no doubt about it. Not to be trusted. I had to turn down the volume on that Monday game against KC a few weeks ago, he was insufferable.

For what it's worth, I was at a game in Anaheim and was there almost two hours early. Watched nearly all of the Sox BP. Jerry was shagging balls with Maggs, they were talking and laughing. I saw a lot of that with other players as well. Very loose.

And keep in mind that the Reds teams of the 70s did not get along. Bench hated Rose and vica versa. Chemistry is overrated. A good manager who can motivate? Now that's a different story.

gosox41
08-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I don't think there is an issue, just the media trying to fill the dead air. The Sox are fine and most reports have this being the best Sox clubhouse in recent memory.

That's not saying much.

Bob

TDog
08-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
... I'm tired of listening to ESPN trashing the Sox. Most of what they say is garbage. ...
It's amazing. You hand someone a microphone or a pen, and he suddenly thinks he knows everything.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to get my baseball news from The Sporting News radio network, which broadcasts out of Chicago. On a Saturday night, I was listening for the results of the A's and Sox, and the announcers went on about how happy they were the Sox were "finally" losing, and how they hoped KC would go on a long winning streak. They pointed out that they were Cubs fans :angry:

Some reporters work very hard. They study their craft and research what they write. Sports journalism, on the other hand, is an oxymoron. It's a field all too willing to hire morons.