PDA

View Full Version : I hate "WhatIfs"

jabrch
08-20-2003, 11:02 AM
but I'll throw out a few...feel free to add on

What if we didn't lose 7 of 9 vs Det, TB and Cle before the break?

What if Konerko hit the ball in the first half?

What if Thomas wasn't so dang selfish and actually reverted to spraying the ball all over the field and producing runs?

What if we find a way to get Tejada here next year while not losing Colon?

What if...what if....what if....

TornLabrum
08-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
but I'll throw out a few...feel free to add on

What if we didn't lose 7 of 9 vs Det, TB and Cle before the break?

What if Konerko hit the ball in the first half?

What if Thomas wasn't so dang selfish and actually reverted to spraying the ball all over the field and producing runs?

What if we find a way to get Tejada here next year while not losing Colon?

What if...what if....what if....

What if Jerry Manuel played Thomas at first base where he hits better all year (at least on the road)?

jabrch
08-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Jerry had a lineup...that stayed the same 90% of the time...and he let hitters do what they do well and be comfortable where they are in the order...

FJA
08-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
What if Jerry Manuel played Thomas at first base where he hits better all year (at least on the road)?

If Frank continues to struggle on the road like he has been of late, we can't afford not to try him at first. ARE YOU LISTENING JERRY?

:jerry

zzzz ... AAH!! Frank at first?!? Oh, thank goodness it's only a well-thought-out suggestion. I thought I was living my nightmare!

jeremyb1
08-20-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Jerry had a lineup...that stayed the same 90% of the time...and he let hitters do what they do well and be comfortable where they are in the order...

They'd all hit 20 to 30 points better than they are right now. In fact why don't those of us at WSI start our own MLB franchise. It doesn't matter if our skills are that good as long as the lineup is the same everday, we'll be comfortable and hit really well.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
They'd all hit 20 to 30 points better than they are right now. In fact why don't those of us at WSI start our own MLB franchise. It doesn't matter if our skills are that good as long as the lineup is the same everday, we'll be comfortable and hit really well.

There goes Manuel's lawyer again. :D:

I really believe that the offense would not have tanked so badly in the first half if Manuel had stuck with a set lineup. Since the beginning of the second half, when he started using a normal lineup, the offense has come around.

I don't mind an occasional change to the lineup. What drives me crazy with Manuel is that it seems like he's always changing something. At one point this season, the Sox had used eighty six different lineups in ninety five games. I don't care how good the team looks on paper. That much tinkering is not conducive to winning baseball games.

Hullett_Fan
08-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Billy Koch had even 50% of the ability to get hitters out that he had the past couple seasons.

34 Inch Stick
08-20-2003, 02:08 PM
What if... the queen had stones....she'd be king.

As da Coach once said if if's and butt's were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas.

pudge
08-20-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm not big on What Ifs either, but IF this team doesn't win this division, I think the management needs to take a long look in the mirror. Yes, the players have failed this season (Koch, Konerko, etc.), but MANAGEMENT could have done something to snap the slump EARLIER in the season. Swap managers, DL Koch sooner rather than later, get another veteran starter in SPRING TRAINING. KW and JM's constant talk about how "it's still early, games in April don't mean anything," is a load of garbage. We may not win this division because of those losses in April.