PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing attendence

gosox41
08-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Drawing 22K+ on a half price night against the defending champs while having beautiful weather is a bit of a buzz kill. I was hoping the Sox would have 32-35K out there. I can't blame some fans for being fed up with this teams inability to take what's essentially been handed to them, but it would have been nice to see more fans out there last night. They still are only 1 game out of first.

Bob

TornLabrum
08-20-2003, 09:33 AM
I don't teach in the suburbs, so I don't know, but I've been told a lot of schools are starting this week. This will affect attendance for the rest of the year. Too bad the Sox didn't win in April and May. If they had, they might be over the 2 million mark by now.

Fisk72
08-20-2003, 09:50 AM
I was at the game last night and was quite disappointed, as well. What's even more disturbing, though, is the increasing number of people telling whoever caught the homerun balls to throw them back. It's been a couple months since I've been out at the ballpark, so I've only heard and not seen what you guys have been discussing about. However, last night, I was able to see for myself the horror. UGH. Perhaps I should make a sign next time that says "Wanna throw back a ball? Go to Wrigley!"

bobj4400
08-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Perhaps I should make a sign next time that says "Wanna throw back a ball? Go to Wrigley!"

You should make the sign say, "Wanna throw back a ball? Go to the Urinal!"

Brian26
08-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Disappointed that the attendance was lower than Monday night, but that crowd looked pretty hot last night. They seemed to make a lot of noise. It sounded and felt, at least on tv and the radio, like a 32-35k crowd. Kudos to the diehards who went last night.

soxtalker
08-20-2003, 10:30 AM
I was at the game last night and was quite disappointed, as well. What's even more disturbing, though, is the increasing number of people telling whoever caught the homerun balls to throw them back. It's been a couple months since I've been out at the ballpark, so I've only heard and not seen what you guys have been discussing about. However, last night, I was able to see for myself the horror. UGH. Perhaps I should make a sign next time that says "Wanna throw back a ball? Go to Wrigley!"

I did not go last night, but I did two weeks earlier on the half-price Tuesday. While it was nice to see a nearly-full stadium, I came away with the feeling that there were a lot of "fans" there that were similar to the ones that fill up Wrigley. That is, they weren't there for the game, but, rather, this was a great place to be seen and party. It occurred to me that many might even be the same "fans" that flock to the ball park on the north side. I guess that throwing the ball back fits in with that appraisal.

34 Inch Stick
08-20-2003, 10:44 AM
If it means Jerry will bring in more talent during the offseason I don't care what kind of people are at the park.

I think you have seen the last of the 30,000 crowds (except for Saturday fireworks). Many schools are in session and people are taking their last vacations of the summer. Once September hits I would think it will be back to 20,000 on weekdays no matter what the price of the ticket. It's a shame because there is a LOT of good baseball to watch here in September.

I just hope they sell 40,000 for each of the games against KC late in the month and average 30,000 for the Minnesota series.

alohafri
08-20-2003, 11:18 AM
We were at the game last night and although there were only 22k there, almost everyone was into the game. There were a few people here and there who tried to start the wave, but since most of the crowd was into the game, it never got started (thank God). The wave does seem to get going when there are over 30k+ people there....it's either 20k diehards or 30k and the wave...

As for the HR ball, I don't think the person threw it back last night (I was at the concession stands at the time). I could hear people yelling at the person who caught it, but I think he/she held onto it. That urinal "tradition" is moronic to say the least. Some people go to ballgames their whole life and never lay hands on a real, honest-to-goodness major league baseball. Catching one, whether it be a HR or BP ball, is like getting a free souvenir. Why anyone would throw one back is beyond me. You'd have to be a complete moron to do that. All that crap about people bringing in a "fake" ball at the Urinal and then throwing the fake one back is probably a lot of urban legend. I highly doubt that very many people would go spend 7 or 8 bucks on a "fake" ball and then bring it to the ballgame, actually catch a HR ball (what are the odds, anyway?) only to throw the fake one onto the field. That's just stupid! Then again, it IS a urinal tradition, so who am I to doubt the idiocy of scrub fans?

(Mrs. Aloha)

Lip Man 1
08-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Maybe I missed something but there is a story today in one of the papers... I just read it, talking about attendence.

The story said there were about 30,000 at the park last night, that the Sox have averaged a shade over 30,000 for the last 28 home games and that if the Sox continue it for the rest of the year they will finish with over 2 million in attendence for the first time since 1993.

Considering the Sox haven't won squat since 2000 and have had only two winning seasons since the White Flag Trade in 97, I think those are very reasonable fan figures.

Now if the Sox were coming off three playoff appearances and a World Series appearance since 97, I'd agree with you.

Lip

Fisk72
08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
All that crap about people bringing in a "fake" ball at the Urinal and then throwing the fake one back is probably a lot of urban legend. I highly doubt that very many people would go spend 7 or 8 bucks on a "fake" ball and then bring it to the ballgame, actually catch a HR ball (what are the odds, anyway?) only to throw the fake one onto the field. That's just stupid! Then again, it IS a urinal tradition, so who am I to doubt the idiocy of scrub fans?

Actually, it IS true that they do it. Many of us have personally seen it at the urinal and Sportscenter even caught someone doing it a few weeks ago. Even Scrub fans will admit that they do that. The first homerun ball last night was thrown back; however, whoever caught the second one (to my knowledge) kept it. I was really impressed b/c it kept getting louder and louder as people were yelling to throw it back. I really think a number of us need to bring signs telling people that it's a bad tradition and should never be done here.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2003, 11:36 AM
I wonder if this is the difference between paid attendance and gate attendance? Tribs Box score has 22,396 listed. The box score is usually the paid attendance.

NewyorkSoxFan
08-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I did not go last night, but I did two weeks earlier on the half-price Tuesday. While it was nice to see a nearly-full stadium, I came away with the feeling that there were a lot of "fans" there that were similar to the ones that fill up Wrigley. That is, they weren't there for the game, but, rather, this was a great place to be seen and party. It occurred to me that many might even be the same "fans" that flock to the ball park on the north side. I guess that throwing the ball back fits in with that appraisal.

We can't have it both ways!!! Every team that has a following once that team begins winning attracts the casual fan. We experienced that with the Bulls. I live in Ny and in the 90's it was nothing to see people walking down the streets in bulls hats and shirts. The Cubs draw alot of national attention b/c of being on WGN since I was like old enough to see baseball.

As long as they are not unruly fans I think we should welcome the casual fan, they increase revenue for the team, and help juice the park up a little bit. If they want to throw the ball back, or do silly stuff like the wave, let em. For those of us who hate that stuff and find it annoying, I sit and let the wave go by.

But I don't think we are in a position to now begin choosing what fans we want to support our team, or condeming them for stuff that goes on in parks all over. Remember we are diehard fans, and we are the minority, the majority of fans are just fans to a large extent. They aren't up at 3:00am like us thinking about a pinch hitter that JM should have used, or that he took Garland out too soon. That stuff is for diehards. We need to incorporate them with us, and it will make for great attendance, and fun for those who come out to be seen or hit on women or whatever.

I know we feel like its life and death, and we live and die with each pitch, hit, and error, but to be honest we all know its just entertainment.

NYSF

alohafri
08-20-2003, 11:45 AM
I've become fairly good at estimating the number of people at the games juding by the number of people in the UD, although last night I guessed 25k. I think the 22k+ is pretty accurate since the UD wasn't very filled. No way was there 30k in attendance, although maybe the number of tickets sold reflected that many.

---------

Maybe I should make up a sign to bring to the games that says:

DON'T THROW THE HR BALL BACK ONTO THE FIELD--THROW IT TO ME!!

(Mrs. Aloha)

soxtalker
08-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If it means Jerry will bring in more talent during the offseason I don't care what kind of people are at the park.

Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
We can't have it both ways!!! Every team that has a following once that team begins winning attracts the casual fan. We experienced that with the Bulls. I live in Ny and in the 90's it was nothing to see people walking down the streets in bulls hats and shirts. The Cubs draw alot of national attention b/c of being on WGN since I was like old enough to see baseball.

As long as they are not unruly fans I think we should welcome the casual fan, they increase revenue for the team, and help juice the park up a little bit. If they want to throw the ball back, or do silly stuff like the wave, let em. For those of us who hate that stuff and find it annoying, I sit and let the wave go by.

But I don't think we are in a position to now begin choosing what fans we want to support our team, or condeming them for stuff that goes on in parks all over. Remember we are diehard fans, and we are the minority, the majority of fans are just fans to a large extent. They aren't up at 3:00am like us thinking about a pinch hitter that JM should have used, or that he took Garland out too soon. That stuff is for diehards. We need to incorporate them with us, and it will make for great attendance, and fun for those who come out to be seen or hit on women or whatever.

I know we feel like its life and death, and we live and die with each pitch, hit, and error, but to be honest we all know its just entertainment.
NYSF

I didn't mean to imply that these "fans" should stay away from the park; it was simply an observation. I personally have the option and may choose to attend regular-priced games if the behaviour of the non-core fans bothers me that much. But I agree that having a greater attendance increases the chances that JR will spend money to improve the ball club.

I remember attending games in the old park in '83. The buzz was amazing. Now, I also happened to have a friend who had season tickets in box seats close to the field. Most of the people in those seats were pretty hard-core fans. In contrast, my experience two weeks ago may have been impacted by sitting in the very top row of the upper deck. I suspect that there were also a significant portion of the fans in '83 who were casual fans.

Having said all of that, I still don't like seeing the wave (done two weeks ago) or a baseball being thrown back.

Kilroy
08-20-2003, 12:12 PM
I was at the game last night and was quite disappointed, as well. What's even more disturbing, though, is the increasing number of people telling whoever caught the homerun balls to throw them back.

The day's attendance should not be a concern for Sox fans. There's far more pressing items that we should worry about. 5th starter, perhaps?

But the homerun ball toss is truly disgusting. The first one was in the stands for over a minute before it came back. Grow some stones for chrissakes!! Obviously, the person's initial reaction was to keep the ball. Don't let yourself be intimidated.

On the plus side, this trend has been popping up at other parks, not just ours...

NewyorkSoxFan
08-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I didn't mean to imply that these "fans" should stay away from the park; it was simply an observation. I personally have the option and may choose to attend regular-priced games if the behaviour of the non-core fans bothers me that much. But I agree that having a greater attendance increases the chances that JR will spend money to improve the ball club.

I remember attending games in the old park in '83. The buzz was amazing. Now, I also happened to have a friend who had season tickets in box seats close to the field. Most of the people in those seats were pretty hard-core fans. In contrast, my experience two weeks ago may have been impacted by sitting in the very top row of the upper deck. I suspect that there were also a significant portion of the fans in '83 who were casual fans.

Having said all of that, I still don't like seeing the wave (done two weeks ago) or a baseball being thrown back.

I wasn't directing all of that at you, so sorry about that. I just have seen alot of posts talking about casual fans, and I know they can be annoying b/c I know I am a serious diehard. But from a practicality point of view, I realize that their money is as good as mine, and it helps the team as well as the overall perception of the organization.

Wrigley would not get the positive pub it gets if they only had 18,000 fans in it everyday, but people see it full, and fans on the rooftop, etc,etc and it makes people want to go just for the experience. I'm sure their marketing guy is no genius either, but he doesn't have to do alot b/c he has a built in fan base. The Sox don't so its more difficult.

Same thing with Yankee stadium here, I think over the last 12 games they are avg 46,000, I mean thats incredible, but of course they win, and going to the stadium is what every tourist who visits NY wants to do.

What point I am trying to make, well I'm not sure. :D: I think I have been typing to much.

NYSF

voodoochile
08-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Pepsi nights are tougher to draw crowds on because you cannot by the 1/2 price tickets in advance. I agree with the announced attendance. I thought it was around 23K based on how un-full the UD was. The 22K figure was shown on the scoreboard also, FYI.

The guy in LF got harrassed into throwing it back. I don't think the RF fan (by the Aloha's) did - though maybe they just have a week arm and it only made the bullpen.

steff
08-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The guy in LF got harrassed into throwing it back. I don't think the RF fan (by the Aloha's) did - though maybe they just have a week arm and it only made the bullpen.

Nope.. he didn't toss it back.

MarkV
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Throwing HR balls back is a disgusting practice! What's the difference in throwing the ball back from throwing cell phones or batteries or even knives onto the field? Instead of having the stupid rule of having people with UD seats not being able to access the main concourse, the Sox should eject anyone that throws balls back onto the field. Not only is it stupid, but it endangers the players.

MRKARNO
08-20-2003, 01:47 PM
If the sox make the playoffs, the cell is going to be LOUD. you'll get all the diehards who are really loud. I've been to the BOB and Pac-Bell on days where they were both filled or near to it and they were not as loud as the 30,000 we had on monday. And we had 30,000 on monday without the wave, but that really pissed me off that they threw the ball back on the field.

I'm really proud of the fans that are coming to the game because 20,000 at the cell is about as loud as 40,000 at any other non-domed park (and it's not like any non-retractable dome stadiums ever fill up outside of the playoffs)

I dont think attendence will drop off in september as the sox are in the midst of a pennant race and we play the red sox, yankees, twins and royals at home and the indians on a weekend, so that will still draw. I expect attendence to go up as it did during the royals series. There's a half price tuesday against the red sox, twins and yankees and a half price monday against the twins and yankees. also there's a fireworks night against the royals. We might actually have some sellouts in that last homestand

Mammoo
08-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Sox fans were primed and ready to start showing up in big numbers but every time the team gets close they go on the road and play so poorly, it saps the momentum.

I think the two major losing streaks cost the franchise big dollars; especially the one where they went to Detroit and lost three straight. :(:

gosox41
08-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't teach in the suburbs, so I don't know, but I've been told a lot of schools are starting this week. This will affect attendance for the rest of the year. Too bad the Sox didn't win in April and May. If they had, they might be over the 2 million mark by now.

Thanks to one of your recent articles, we know who to blame for that.

Bob

gosox41
08-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

I think you have seen the last of the 30,000 crowds (except for Saturday fireworks). Many schools are in session and people are taking their last vacations of the summer. Once September hits I would think it will be back to 20,000 on weekdays no matter what the price of the ticket. It's a shame because there is a LOT of good baseball to watch here in September.

I just hope they sell 40,000 for each of the games against KC late in the month and average 30,000 for the Minnesota series.

They should heopefully draw decently for the Yankees series.

The more the team draws, the better the payroll. I'm hoping for 2 million.

Bob

TommyJohn
08-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
They should heopefully draw decently for the Yankees series.

Bob

Hiya, gang. Stevie Rosie here from the Trib. Why would the
Sox draw well for the Yankee series? Nobody cares about
them. I said that when the Yanks came to town for the
greatest event in baseball history, the series against our
Cubs. Your team will be contracted soon if my bosses can
help it. (Sneer, sneer.)

BeerHandle
08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about the attendance (see my thread, "Do You Call yourself a SOX fan?)! I do believe that the Sox should evaluate their Fan Base demographics and come to the realization that their prices are not in line.

There are those that can afford to go to many more games; however, there are many that can not unless the ticket prices come down. Also, it is time to allow the 500 seat fans to enjoy the fan deck!! I can understand not allowing it on sold out games, but when it is isn't full they should allow them to come down!!!

Comparison of Ticket Prices in the AL Central (minus the Tigers)
Cleveland
$40.00 Field Box
$27.00 Infield Lower Box
$27.00 Baseline Box
$27.00 View Box
$25.00 Lower Box
$21.00 Infield Upper Box
$20.00 Lower Reserve
$20.00 Mezzanine
$19.00 Upper Box
$12.00 Bleachers
$10.00 Upper Reserve
$7.00 Reserve General Admission
$5.00 Corner Reserve General Admission

KC
$22.00 Club Box
$21.00 Dugout Box
$18.00 Field Box
$18.00 Dugout Plaza
$16.00 Field Plaza
$12.00 View Box
$10.00 Outfield Plaza
$10.00 View Level (Infield)
$5.00 HyVee View Level

Twins
$31.00 Lower Club
$29.00 Diamond View
$21.00 Lower Reserved
$14.00 Upper Club
$14.00 Lower General Admission
$14.00 Family Section (Includes Soft Drink)
$6.00 Upper General Admission

WHITE SOX
$40 Club Level
$29 Lower Deck Box
$24 Lower Deck Reserved
$22 Bleachers
$20 Upper Deck Box
$14 Upper Deck Reserved

It is obvious the Sox need to lower their prices for the upper deck and bleachers! For those that are not season ticket holders take advantage of this promo.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/schedule/cws_schedule_specials.jsp

Go Sox!

steff
08-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I couldn't agree with you more about the attendance (see my thread, "Do You Call yourself a SOX fan?)!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

ewokpelts
08-21-2003, 02:29 PM
dammmmmmmmmm!

THE_HOOTER
08-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by steff
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

So,

If you have an opinion you are a whiner????

:?:

andytheclown
08-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Beerhandle is correct that the prices are out of line for the upper deck.

But I hope that the "stay on your level" policy never goes away!

The concessions, bathrooms, and overall congestion is way down since enacting this policy.

I agree with Steff that it is tough tooties, if you cannot afford to buy a ticket on the main level, you should not be allowed the amenities of that level.

If you have $200 to allocate to attending ball games, it is your choice how you spend it. You can attend more games if you buy upper deck tickets. But your experience could be greatly enhanced by attending less games and sitting in the bottom bowl.

The choice is yours.

I personally wish that 1/2 price nights in general went away. The crowd it attracts is not there to watch the game.

The last time I was there on a Monday (KC) it was like a frat party out on the centerfield concourse.

Cut the prices on upper deck tickets so people can attend any game. And keep the riffraff out of the seats where people paid full price to watch the game in relative peace.

ewokpelts
08-21-2003, 04:20 PM
dont complain about prices or how hard it is to go to games, find creative ways to maximise you cash flow, AND con jerry. Posted here is my response to another ticket thread:

Here's some unadvertised(or rarely advertised) Sox promos that you and your buddies can partake in.

1. Pepsi Kids Club: If you have kids, you SHOULD be doing this. Even if you dont, make one up. For 20 bucks, you get, aside from kid specific goodies like member cards, and a kids club parade on field, SIX PASSES FOR THE UDR, with upgrade options for half price. So, if you divide it up, you're paying little more than three bucks to sit in the udr, or as much as 18 bucks for a lower level ticket(3.33+ highest half off ticket). Considering that LDB seats are 29....you can save as much as 11 bucks. I mean, your kid can.....

2.Senior Days: I know , none of us can remember a white sox ws winner, but we can buy tickets like we did. On weekday DAY games, senior tickets are half rpice all levels. You can buy these tix via ticketbastard or at the box office. And since the scanners dont recognize what type of ticket, only that it's for that day, you can get an extra half off day. The last two dates are 9/11 vs twinkies, and 9/24 vs Yankees.

3. Kids days: Everyone knows this promo, but with the scanners i mentioned in the last item, you could try and get away with it. Worse it'll cost you is a buck, and jerry can notch one more ticket sold. The last two dates are 8/24 vs texas, and 9/21 vs the royals. As always, this is a door promo, not advance ticketing promo.

4. The sox coupon book. We all know about it now. If you're not a full season ticketholder, buy this book. The two LDB tickets should seal the deal for you. If you use all the coupons, you can save up to 450 bucks, coincidentally the cost of one partial ticket plan in the UDB.

5. The Sox recycling program. This is a long running, not hugely popular program that can earn you FREE TICKETS. For every 25 cups(beer, soda, ect) you bring to the designated location(sec 154 in the LD, and i think there is a UD location as well), you get a blue coupon good for sox stuff. The more coupons you get, the better stuff you can redeem for. for 30 coupons, you get 2 tickets to any tues-thurs game in the UDB, with half off upgrades. I think you need to pick up 650 cups to get it, but if you have kids, it's a great thing they can do to learn the value of hard work and the dollar. I had enough coupons for the tickets AND a 2003 sox calendar(the giveaway version). If you do this on fireworks night, you can get a lot of cups (and help from strangers too).

NOW.......Here are Some things the Sox SHOULD DO......
1. Ticket family packs. The Sox USED to do this(you had to go to a Dominick's tm location and buy them) but discontinued it in the late 90's. Mastercard and MLB have a program pretty much like it now. Four tix, food and drink coupons for a discounted price, provided u use your master card to buy it. Half the teams in the league do this, but strangely enough, not the sox. Rob Gallas, you listening?

2. Adult Fan Club. Not a xxx version, but something that the over 14 crowd can take advantage. Clear Channel(they who own the World Mus....I mean Tweeter Center) has a preferred ticket club called GetAccess. You get, in addition to ticket presales and upgrade specials, a member kit that includes 4 lawn vouchers, and food and drink specials. I think the sox can do wonders with a similar program. And if they are worried about losing money, they can underwrite the cost with corporate sponsors(something they love doing). Even if it was made all ages(possible sponsored by Pepsi?), you can get better cash flow that's less reliant on timed ticket sales, especially in X-mas time. Make a "club" specific web site, throw in copupons(Armour Hot Dogs, Pepsi, Tyson foods) for either ballpark or store use, and you got a winner. They can then use the data from the site to mine data for further programs or season ticket sales. Again Rob, u listening?

That's all i got for now.
Gene

soxtalker
08-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by andytheclown

The concessions, bathrooms, and overall congestion is way down since enacting this policy.

I agree with Steff that it is tough tooties, if you cannot afford to buy a ticket on the main level, you should not be allowed the amenities of that level.

If you have $200 to allocate to attending ball games, it is your choice how you spend it. You can attend more games if you buy upper deck tickets. But your experience could be greatly enhanced by attending less games and sitting in the bottom bowl.

The choice is yours.

I personally wish that 1/2 price nights in general went away. The crowd it attracts is not there to watch the game.

The last time I was there on a Monday (KC) it was like a frat party out on the centerfield concourse.

Cut the prices on upper deck tickets so people can attend any game. And keep the riffraff out of the seats where people paid full price to watch the game in relative peace.

I'm torn on this. I'd also like to avoid the half-price nights, though I do want the Sox to pull in the casual fan to improve their ability to spend more on players and player development. If the Sox continue to draw well, I wonder if they will cut back on the half-price nights next year. I'm sure that they are (or at least should be) doing calculations to project most total dollars (also figuring in how much people spend on food/drink and parking). I know that there would probably be an indignant uproar, but I'd like to see some form of dynamic pricing over the internet -- maybe for the upper deck -- where the price would get set by the demand.

kempsted
08-21-2003, 05:44 PM

The choice is yours.

OK this is crap. First of all the upper deck tickets in the first 10 rows are better than 70% of lower bowl tickets. The problem is they havn't put concessions etc on the upper deck as much as the lower deck.

I actually have no problem with the policy as long as they stick to how they have it this year - Season ticket holders can go anywhere.

steff
08-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
So,

If you have an opinion you are a whiner????

:?:

Yes.. when you're whining to those that GO!!

hold2dibber
08-21-2003, 06:13 PM

The choice is yours.

In general, I agree with your assessment, EXCEPT that the ticket prices in the UD are too high. If they made those seats cheaper, they'd actually be a destination spot. Make the best UD tickets $15 and the rest $8 and I think they'd get a lot more people in the park on a regular basis. Half price nights show that there is a sizable contingent of Sox fans that are price conscious - maybe those fans show up more often if you make it more affordable in the UD (particularly if you couple that with better amenities in the UD).

THE_HOOTER
08-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Yes.. when you're whining to those that GO!!

Raspberries to you!

I do agree, however, you DO NOT enter the main level without a ticket.

If you want a main level ticket, pay for it. If you cannot afford it, save up for later.

The main concourse is for the people who purchased a ticket on the main floor.

The fan deck is an amenity for the main level people, and so is the shower, food, blah, blah..

If you hate the food, or whatever in the 500 level, then tailgate.

By the way Steff, when is Kenny stepping down, and who is running the show? :D:

:)

steff
08-22-2003, 12:09 PM

I'm running the show.. damnit!

harwar
08-22-2003, 12:35 PM
I think that this will be the last time the attendance is light because in the series after this one we have all good teams(sans cleveland) and really big games.
I agree that it doesn't make much sense to gripe about it here because we all go i guess.I mean i drive down from lake wisconsin quite a bit and i've got a major injury to deal with.
I am really starting to get excited about this thing and when september hits i think the rest of Chicago will also.

THE_HOOTER
08-22-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm running the show.. damnit!

Women belong in the Kitchen jiggling eggs--not running a baseball team!!!!

:D:

kempsted
08-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Raspberries to you!

I do agree, however, you DO NOT enter the main level without a ticket.

If you want a main level ticket, pay for it. If you cannot afford it, save up for later.

The main concourse is for the people who purchased a ticket on the main floor.

The fan deck is an amenity for the main level people, and so is the shower, food, blah, blah..

If you hate the food, or whatever in the 500 level, then tailgate.

OK none of this really matters to me because I have season tickets so they let me go down to the main level anyway but I have to say this is nonsense. The bleacher tickets are only 2 dollars more than upper deck box and the lower reserved are only 4 dollars more. It has nothing to do with what you paid. THe upper deck box tickets ARE BETTER SEATS than many of the lower deck tickets and that is why I buy them. Don't believe me? Go see for yourself. The only problem with the upper deck is there are none of these extras. But if they put some in do you think there should be the same rule that you are not allowed to go to them if you have lower deck tickets?

I have NEVER been to a park that had such a rule and I have been to a lot of them. I have been to parks where they don't let you SIT if you don't have a ticket - but never that they don't let you walk around.

andytheclown
08-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Kemp, you are completely missing the point. Who cares what other parks do, it is not relevant.

They may or may not have the same problems that USCell has. I will assume that you have been a season ticket holder for a while. this policy has only been in effect since the last idiot ran onto the field.

It was in effect for big games as well like the Cubs/Sox and the opener.

Why? Because people take advantage of it. They are not buying upper deck reserved tickets, just to wander downstairs. They are buying the cheapest seat that can because they know damn well they will never sit in the seat they paid for!

When I said that season ticketholders deserve to sit in their seat and enjoy the game, that included people like yourself as well.

You do not have the same problem because there isn't a way to wander the concourse to improve the view. If the lower bowl concourse was like the upper deck, this wouldn't be an issue.

Assume for a minute that each level held 20000 people. You will never have to worry about an additional 5-7000 people clogging up your concourse, because they cannot see the game!

However it was happening to us every game!

Remember, when I said that people have the ability to go to more games with the upper deck than the lower, I am referring to the nosebleed seats. Any ticket in the lower bowl is almost 50% more!

As far as you being able to wander where ever you like, I do not care. If you are a season ticket holder odds are you are there to go watch the game in the seats you chose and pay for.

You keep saying that your seats are better than 70% of the lower bowl. I do not agree at all, but it is your opinion.
However, according to your own admission you like sitting where you are more than the lower bowl, plus your paying less.

If your seats are better for a cheaper price, then why would anyone sit down there?

Because of the amenities! Better food, shower, fan deck etc...

It is not fair that you pay less for better seats and are able to take advantage of the amentities that others are paying more for.