PDA

View Full Version : Imrem: Thomas A Hall of Famer

DrCrawdad
08-20-2003, 06:32 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/images/sports/mug_imrem.jpg

Hall of Famer long before this powerful night

Posted August 19, 2003
By Mike Imrem

Barring anything strange like a gambling scandal happening the rest of the decade, Frank Thomas has my vote for the Hall of Fame.

Trust me, I'm not saying that because of the euphoria surrounding what he did Monday night for the White Sox.

Thomas had my vote before he hit a 2-run, game-tying home run in the seventh inning. And he had it before he hit a 2-run, game-winning home run in the ninth inning.

I have contemplated this issue the last few years, listened to people on both sides debate it, pondered Thomas' career in relation to some of baseball's greats.

What I decided is that Thomas belongs in Cooperstown regardless of whether Thomas reaches 500 homers or any other significant milestones...
Linky (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intID=37852116)

inta
08-20-2003, 07:32 AM
good link!

Thomas has been clutch for us this year many times.
I would love to see him notch up an ALCS or WS MVP trophie.

DrCrawdad
08-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by inta
good link!

Thomas has been clutch for us this year many times.
I would love to see him notch up an ALCS or WS MVP trophie.

IIRC according to Bill James HOF calculations Frank belongs in the HOF.

I hope Thomas stays in a Sox uniform the rest of his career and then marches straight into the HOF. How many recent Hall of Famers have spent their entire career with one team?

JRIG
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I hope Thomas stays in a Sox uniform the rest of his career and then marches straight into the HOF. How many recent Hall of Famers have spent their entire career with one team?

I don't have my book in front of me, but I think James ranks Thomas somewhere around the 7th or 8th ranked 1st baseman of all time. He always ranks active players very conservatively too.

DrCrawdad
08-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I don't have my book in front of me, but I think James ranks Thomas somewhere around the 7th or 8th ranked 1st baseman of all time. He always ranks active players very conservatively too.

I was referring to a sort of worksheet/formula that James concocted for HOF credentials. IIRC it wasn't a ranking by position. Instead it was based on the players’ stats.

I heard about this James formula on the SCORE once when Murpy talked with STATS Inc.

Brian26
08-20-2003, 01:01 PM

Schmidt and Johnny Bench off the top of my head, neither is really recent though.

OfficerKarkovice
08-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Schmidt and Johnny Bench off the top of my head, neither is really recent though.

Kirby Puckett and Bill Mazeroski both in 2001

Tony Gywnn will be next I believe...

JRIG
08-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Kirby Puckett and Bill Mazeroski both in 2001

Tony Gywnn will be next I believe...

Cal Ripken, Jr.

ChiSoxBobette
08-20-2003, 02:33 PM

Its really nice to see someone defend Big Frank who I think is Hall of Fame material. Lets face it to get into the Hall now its all how good you were with the bat and other than a couple of years whos has been better than the Big Hurt .310 lifetime average over 400 H.R's what more does he have to do plus he's got at least 5 years left in him. The only thing I've heard is that being a D.H. is going to hurt him , and thats b.s. According to someone the other morning on espn radio show Mike & Mike in the morning they said Edgar Martinez is the only D.H. that should get consideration and thats real b.s. I would have to say Big Franks career is as good or better than his.

Deadguy
08-20-2003, 02:35 PM

Sabermetrics seem to rate Thomas pretty highly.

I remember looking at Total Baseball after the 1998 season, and it gave Thomas a Total Player Rating of close to 35.

Total Player Rating is a cumulative stat which pretty much rates how many wins above position a player contributes over the course of his career, and Thomas' total was similar to what players like Gwynn and Ripken had accumulated while playing twice as long as Thomas had, and noone in their right minds would argue that Gwynn and Ripken aren't 1st ballot HOFers.

I haven't seen a Total Baseball recently, but I'm guess Thomas' total increased a little bit from 1999 to 2002.

OfficerKarkovice
08-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Cal Ripken, Jr.

Ripken and Gwynn will go in at the same time.