PDA

View Full Version : Classy move by Maggs

Jjav829
08-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Great to hear a story like this about one of our guys. There haven't been many written stories about this yet, but ESPN has been reporting it today. Here is a blurb from the Sox page on ESPN.com...

The Venezuela Little League baseball team arrived in Williamsport, Pa., with very little money and even less equipment. They will return to South America with enough equipment to furnish the entire team -- thanks to countryman Magglio Ordonez. When he heard the team's plight during coverage of the Little league World Series, Ordonez was moved enough to call ESPN broadcaster Harold Reynolds on his cell phone, and make the offer to send the little league team on a shopping spree at his expense for whatever equipment they wanted. Because Little League rules prohibit the trip to the sporting goods store during the tournament, they'll have to wait until they're either eliminated or win the entire tournament.

The ESPN guys were commenting on what a great move it was by Maggs. On the 10:00 SportsCenter the two anchors (Stu Scott was one of them) both said they had a new favorite ballplayer before this story was read. Nice to see Maggs getting his props for a great gesture on his part. It's too bad they can't use the equipment right away, but they won today so hopefully they will continue to win. They also showed all the kids in the dugout today had Maggs cards they were waving in appreciation of what he did for them.

jeremyb1
08-20-2003, 12:34 AM
Its hard to know that much about the players personal lives but I've always had the impression Maggs is a really wonderful guy, a true class act.

emaholic
08-20-2003, 12:40 AM
Gotta love Maggs! <3

LASOXFAN
08-20-2003, 01:38 AM
The story of how Mags got his first tryout for the big leagues is a great one - the long bus ride, waiting around all day, no money. It's great to see him giving back.

inta
08-20-2003, 02:28 AM
man, great story.
great guy that maggs is...

i hope we never lose him.

Nick@Nite
08-20-2003, 05:51 AM
:maggs <------MAD PROPS!!!

hose
08-20-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Great to hear a story like this about one of our guys. There haven't been many written stories about this yet, but ESPN has been reporting it today. Here is a blurb from the Sox page on ESPN.com...

The ESPN guys were commenting on what a great move it was by Maggs. On the 10:00 SportsCenter the two anchors (Stu Scott was one of them) both said they had a new favorite ballplayer before this story was read. Nice to see Maggs getting his props for a great gesture on his part. It's too bad they can't use the equipment right away, but they won today so hopefully they will continue to win. They also showed all the kids in the dugout today had Maggs cards they were waving in appreciation of what he did for them.

Way to go Maggs!

cheeses_h_rice
08-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Not only the best, but the classiest, Right Fielder in all of Chitown. Way to go, Magglio.

miker
08-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Didn't Magglio make another donation earlier this year to people in his homeland? I was at the first game after the All-Star break and there was a large contingent of Venezuelans behind home plate and something was mentioned on the PA system but I missed it.

He truly is someone who appreciates what he has and where he has come from.

(Now this is where I turn this warm fuzzy thread into something cold and mean.)

Hmmm, I wonder if this will be covered in any of the media outfits in the town he plays in...

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2003, 08:27 AM
This guy is awesome!

I never want to lose this guy!

Good job Magglio! :D:

mandmandm
08-20-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by miker
Didn't Magglio make another donation earlier this year to people in his homeland? I was at the first game after the All-Star break and there was a large contingent of Venezuelans behind home plate and something was mentioned on the PA system but I missed it.

I thought that that group was all of Maggio's family. I remember reading something about 50+ of Maggio's family was flown in and they all stayed at his house. Must be some size crib.

CHISOXFAN13
08-20-2003, 09:10 AM
What a class act. Hopefully now the entire nation will have a better feel of one Magglio Ordonez. He is the most underrated player/man in the game.

dickallen15
08-20-2003, 09:19 AM
My wife and I went to New York last year for the Sox and Yankees series. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt where the team was staying. Magglio threw a hat in the stands during a game last year that I happened to catch. He has a small head, so my wife wears the hat with pins in it. Anyway, she ran into him in the lobby and talked to him briefly. She thought he was so nice she named our new puppy Magglio.

QueerGirrl
08-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
This guy is awesome!

I never want to lose this guy!

Good job Magglio! :D:

Agreed!!!!

I love Magglio!!

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2003, 09:21 AM
I think I heard that same thing Miker did.

I think it was something like Magglio donated some money so they could build a new little league park over in his home town. It was going to be one hell of a park for the little kids to play on. It was all going to be funded by Magglio.

The governor/president of Venezuela came in to give Magglio some kind of award.

alohafri
08-20-2003, 09:48 AM
-another Maggs story:

back in 2000, all the major league baseball players were given the chance to sign a pledge that they would never use illegal drugs (such as steroids) while a member of a major league team. Only TWO players signed the pledge: MAGGLIO and some other guy whose name I can't remember. Just another reason to be proud of our Maggs.

(Mrs. Aloha)

jabrch
08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Not only the best, but the classiest, Right Fielder in all of Chitown. Way to go, Magglio.

The classies RF in town? Isn't that like the tallest guy in the midget colony? Lets see....

Maggs - never heard a single bad thing about him

or Sammy - cork, tax evasion, unliscensed driver, rum bottle, large amounts of muscle mass, failing to attend committments for charity events, blaming others, can't sacrifice, can't hit the other way...

Ummm...Yeah, I think Maggs is far classier a human being. That said, I wish we had a guy who could hit 60+ HRs every year. (not at the expense of losing Mags or having to deal with Sammy)

jabrch
08-20-2003, 09:57 AM
We have Magglio signed for next year at 14MM. That is the final year of his 3 year 29MM deal. I'd love to see Kenny and Jerry show some class and send this guy another 3 year deal or even a 5 year deal that pays him with the top 10 OFs in MLB. He certainly deserves it. I'd hate to ever see him end up playing for someone else.

mandmandm
08-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
We have Magglio signed for next year at 14MM. That is the final year of his 3 year 29MM deal. I'd love to see Kenny and Jerry show some class and send this guy another 3 year deal or even a 5 year deal that pays him with the top 10 OFs in MLB. He certainly deserves it. I'd hate to ever see him end up playing for someone else.

As much as I like Maggs I think management should wait to see what the market is doing. The Sox are pretty payroll heavy on first baseman and corner outfielders. Some of that money should be used to improve pitching and defense. There are many options out there to plug in at first baseman/corner outfield that are less expensive. That being said if Maggs is willing to take a reasonable contract extension I would love to keep him in Chicago for his career.

Steve Bartman
08-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Maggs is certainly a great guy. A few weeks ago at a D-Rays vs. Sox game, Maggs caught a fly ball to end the inning. So as usual he goes over to the stands and tosses the ball to this kid. His older brother or somebody with him with a Cub floppy hat on chucked it right back at Magglio. I can't stand these Cub fans at all! Show the man some respect. At least he has some decency, unlike another right fielder in town who is a wife-beater and cheating scum bag.

soxrme
08-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Good for MAGGS, but why would the rules prevent them from going for more equipment? Who thinks of these things?

Viva Magglio
08-20-2003, 11:23 AM
I saw the report on SportsCenter about Mágglio's donation, but where is the coverage of this from the Chicago media? Was it in yesterday's newspapers? I looked in today's newspapers, and there was nothing about this unless I missed it. I certainly did not hear or see anything about this from any local electronic media outlet.

I think this is an absolutely shameful slight of what Mágglio did on the hands of the local media. The next time someone gets on us for whining about unfair media coverage, ask that person about how the media ignored this. There are people who continue to deny that anti-White Sox bias exists, believe it or not. Why that is I do not know, especially considering the proof that such bias exists.

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
Maggs is certainly a great guy. A few weeks ago at a D-Rays vs. Sox game, Maggs caught a fly ball to end the inning. So as usual he goes over to the stands and tosses the ball to this kid. His older brother or somebody with him with a Cub floppy hat on chucked it right back at Magglio. I can't stand these Cub fans at all! Show the man some respect. At least he has some decency, unlike another right fielder in town who is a wife-beater and cheating scum bag.

What the hell was this Dumb *** doing at our park then? :angry:

If he hates our team then why show up?

I cant stand these type of people, these are the people that I would love to punch in their mouths.

Hokiesox
08-20-2003, 11:37 AM

why didn't everyone within proximity of this clown beat him for being a jerk? :angry:

:bandance: :gulp:

Steve Bartman
08-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
why didn't everyone within proximity of this clown beat him for being a jerk? :angry:

:bandance: :gulp:

The jerk who threw the ball at Maggs was thrown out of the ball park. I don't understand why Cub fans show up at the Cell.

RKMeibalane
08-20-2003, 12:38 PM
O-E-O!

:maggs

O-E-O!

:maggs

WAY TO GO, MAGGS!

Mammoo
08-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by emaholic
Gotta love Maggs!

Couldn't agree more!!

We are lucky to have him :smile:

Hokiesox
08-20-2003, 03:14 PM
The jerk who threw the ball at Maggs was thrown out of the ball park. I don't understand why Cub fans show up at the Cell.

I think it's great that in the Cell, they put you in a cell for being a moron while they give you more beer at the Urinal.

TheRockinMT
08-20-2003, 03:54 PM
The great thing about this story is that Maggs seemed embarrassed that he was being interviewed about helping the little league team. I truly belive he did it simply because he wanted to help them and for no other reason. He is a quiet super star.

adsit
08-20-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
-another Maggs story:

back in 2000, all the major league baseball players were given the chance to sign a pledge that they would never use illegal drugs (such as steroids) while a member of a major league team. Only TWO players signed the pledge: MAGGLIO and some other guy whose name I can't remember. Just another reason to be proud of our Maggs.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Juan Gonzalez was the other guy. A lot of guys supposedly didn't sign it only because the player's union was, and is, fighting the testing issue. Didn't believe it then, don't now. All the pledge said was something like 'I don't do 'roids and I will discourage others from doing them.' Pretty harmless pledge, meant to encourage kids, but only two guys had enough personal integrity to sign it.

Sammy Sosa's a good union guy, dont'cha know...

TDog
08-21-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I saw the report on SportsCenter about Mágglio's donation, but where is the coverage of this from the Chicago media? Was it in yesterday's newspapers? I looked in today's newspapers, and there was nothing about this unless I missed it. I certainly did not hear or see anything about this from any local electronic media outlet.

I think this is an absolutely shameful slight of what Mágglio did on the hands of the local media. The next time someone gets on us for whining about unfair media coverage, ask that person about how the media ignored this. There are people who continue to deny that anti-White Sox bias exists, believe it or not. Why that is I do not know, especially considering the proof that such bias exists.

Viva, please. Chicago's sports media will write good-news stories about local right fielders when they are justified. Like if Sammy Sosa pays his taxes on time. Or if Sammy Sosa shows up to work on time. Or if some of Sammy Sosa's bats aren't corked.

Lay off the fourth estate.

oheeoh...magglio
08-21-2003, 12:25 AM
I really don't care about sammy or how much the chicago media ignores magglio, this just proves that he's not only the BEST right fielder in chicago, he may also be the best person in all of chicago sports.