PDA

View Full Version : Team Scapegoat

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 05:51 PM
This was taken from another Sox site:

LAST SEASON EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER RAPPED ON THOMAS FOR HAVING A SUBPAR SEASON. THIS SEASON HE IS HAVING VERY SIMILAR STATS AND NOBODY REALLY SAYS ANYTHING. WHY IS THAT? I GUESS WE ALL FORGOT ABOUT THE BIG SKIRT ( REMEMBER THAT FROM WSI? LOL!) AND WE'RE ALL PILING ON PAULIE FOR THE TOUGH HALF A SEASON HE HAD.

"SLOWNERKO" AS SOME PEOPLE CALL HIM, COULD HAVE ONE LEG TIED BEHIND HIS BACK AND HOP TO FIRST FASTER THAN FAT ASS FRANK AND DEFENSIVELY THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

"SLOWNERKO" MAY NOT STEAL ANY BASES AND MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SCORE FROM SECOND ON EVERY SINGLE, BUT AT LEAST HE CAN FIELD HIS POSITION WITHOUT MAKING HIMSELF LOOK STUPID AND HE DOESN'T WHINE TO THE NEWSPAPERS ABOUT MONEY.

BOTTOM LINE, LAY OFF PAULIE. HE DOESN'T DESERVE THE WRATH HE'S GOTTEN AROUND HERE, BAD HALF A SEASON OR NOT.

Thoughts?

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 05:56 PM
My thought is that I am glad they don't post here anymore and that people who hate Frank are always going to justify things anyway they can including making stuff up (like Paulie being faster than Frank and being that much better on defense).

What exactly has Konerko done since his one hot spell?

Rocky Soprano
08-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Simply put:

Konerko wishes he was half the player Frank is.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
My thought is that I am glad they don't post here anymore and that people who hate Frank are always going to justify things anyway they can including making stuff up (like Paulie being faster than Frank and being that much better on defense).

What exactly has Konerko done since his one hot spell?

This person is being ripped apart at the other site. His argument has no basis in fact.

I, too am glad that two of the three big Frank-haters are long gone. They did nothing but cause trouble around here.

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This person is being ripped apart at the other site. His argument has no basis in fact.

I, too am glad that two of the three big Frank-haters are long gone. They did nothing but cause trouble around here.

Actually, I expect BC2K back pretty soon. Classes will be starting and that means more Internet access for him. It will be interesting to see what he has to say when he comes back...

Randar68
08-19-2003, 06:06 PM

You'd have to be completely retarded to think Paulie could ever be as good a hitter as Frank is in his mediocre years.

When Paulie has an OBP anywhere within sniffing distance of .400 or an OPS near 1.000 in a season, let me know. It would be a long wait.

WinningUgly!
08-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
You'd have to be completely retarded to think Paulie could ever be as good a hitter as Frank is in his mediocre years.

A couple of the posters in that thread fit the description.

chuckn98229
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Didn't the Sox trade Cameron for Konerko?

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by chuckn98229
Didn't the Sox trade Cameron for Konerko?

Yes.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, I expect BC2K back pretty soon. Classes will be starting and that means more Internet access for him. It will be interesting to see what he has to say when he comes back...

He is the third person in that group. NUKE_CLEVELAND and Bmr31 are the two that are gone, because they were banned.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
It would be a long wait.

Yes, it would. Someone need to design a "Bench Konerko" tag.

WinningUgly!
08-19-2003, 10:12 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/WSIbanners/junk/benchPK.JPG

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/WSIbanners/junk/benchPK.JPG

Nice work! Thanks!

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Just out of curiousity, who would you like to see instead? Freegin' Brian Daubach??

MRKARNO
08-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Just out of curiousity, who would you like to see instead? Freegin' Brian Daubach??

No, frank at first. Everett as DH and Rowand in center

inta
08-20-2003, 12:01 AM
i think paulie gets let off the hook by the general fan populace way too much.
every at bat he has fans chanting his name, doesn't get half as many heckles as other underperformers.
i mean clayton the past 2 years was subjected to alot of abuse, some deservedly, but at least he had the defense. konerko has the grace of a cow.

i have no pity for the guy since he made the all star team last year and decided that was a good opportunity to bad mouth frank. now the spotlight is off him and he does nothing for the past year.
what a jagoff

MarqSox
08-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No, frank at first. Everett as DH and Rowand in center
OK, I can accept that. I personally like the lineup as is (with Konerko), but I wouldn't argue with that lineup either.

MarqSox
08-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by inta
i think paulie gets let off the hook by the general fan populace way too much.
every at bat he has fans chanting his name, doesn't get half as many heckles as other underperformers.
i mean clayton the past 2 years was subjected to alot of abuse, some deservedly, but at least he had the defense. konerko has the grace of a cow.

i have no pity for the guy since he made the all star team last year and decided that was a good opportunity to bad mouth frank. now the spotlight is off him and he does nothing for the past year.
what a jagoff
It's mostly an attitude thing. Konerko doesn't whine about money, playing time, the fans, anything else. The only thing he's been guilty of is refusing to go to AAA during his monumental slump, but as it turned out, he bounced back only about a week after that whole thing. Konerko is loved because he's old school -- he could fall into a time warp and fit right in on the 1917 Sox.

Still -- and I hate to bring this up, but I think it's relevant -- Konerko gets at least a portion of his popularity from inherent race preference, if not actual racism. Konerko is the proverbial "great white hope." If he were black or Latino, he wouldn't get nearly as much leeway.

It's a sad commentary, but I don't necessarily believe it's a malicious thing. That is, I wouldn't fault a young Asian kid for preferring Hideki Matsui over Bernie Williams, or if a person from North Dakota had a great affection for a player from that state.

I apologize in advance for starting a race riot here. :(:

inta
08-20-2003, 08:28 AM
Still -- and I hate to bring this up, but I think it's relevant -- Konerko gets at least a portion of his popularity from inherent race preference, if not actual racism. Konerko is the proverbial "great white hope." If he were black or Latino, he wouldn't get nearly as much leeway.

It's a sad commentary, but I don't necessarily believe it's a malicious thing. That is, I wouldn't fault a young Asian kid for preferring Hideki Matsui over Bernie Williams, or if a person from North Dakota had a great affection for a player from that state.

I apologize in advance for starting a race riot here. :(: [/B]

I completely agree.
very well said Marqsox.

davenicholson
08-20-2003, 08:52 AM
It's mostly an attitude thing. Konerko doesn't whine about money, playing time, the fans, anything else.
I agree with this statement. Konerko isn't my favorite baseball player by far, but his attitude gets him some style points. It works the same way out here in my techy world. No one wants a jerk on their team, no matter how good of an engineer (s)he is, but someone who is a hard worker and has a good/pleasant attitude is cut a lot more slack.
...but you completely lose me here. If you live in this town or even follow its teams at all, you've seen a great example for several years. How much more of a pass would (could!) Sammy Sosa be given if he was white? The vast majority of the media and fans still worship him like a god (hero worship of athletes by any fan over 10 years old is weird to me anyway, but I guess that's another thread), whatever his transgressions. Of course, we on this board hate him for the color of his uniform, not the color of his skin.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had my race/gender/religion/sexual orientation rolled up and used to smack me on the head for so long that I can't help responding to it. In my experience, it's become a crutch to use when there is no longer any legitimate point to be made.

inta
08-20-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
...but you completely lose me here. If you live in this town or even follow its teams at all, you've seen a great example for several years. How much more of a pass would (could!) Sammy Sosa be given if he was white? The vast majority of the media and fans still worship him like a god (hero worship of athletes by any fan over 10 years old is weird to me anyway, but I guess that's another thread), whatever his transgressions. Of course, we on this board hate him for the color of his uniform, not the color of his skin.
[/B]

unfortunately the racial histories of Wrigleyville and Bridgeport are very very different.

but like marqsox said, it's not that the majority of sox fans hate non-white players, it's just that the white ones are forgiven quicker for their blunders.
and using sosa is a terrible example, cubs fans will cheer for anything and pack into the urinal even if their team is 20 games below .500

davenicholson
08-20-2003, 09:34 AM
unfortunately the racial histories of Wrigleyville and Bridgeport are very very different.
What does that have to do with, say, the Sox fan from Naperville or the Cubs fan from Roseville?
but like marqsox said, it's not that the majority of sox fans hate non-white players, it's just that the white ones are forgiven quicker for their blunders.
and using sosa is a terrible example, cubs fans will cheer for anything and pack into the urinal even if their team is 20 games below .500
I must need another cup of coffee this morning, because I'm having trouble staying with you on this. Are you implying, as it seems that you must be, that (white) Sox fans have more trouble getting over their bigotry than (white) Cub fans? Is it that Cub fans' blind loyalty to the team/ballpark trump their racism? Oh, what a wonderful world this would be if something so simple would solve racism in this world! I am offended that you paint me (and yourself!), as Sox fans, with the broad brush of racism.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2003, 09:44 AM
What does that have to do with, say, the Sox fan from Naperville or the Cubs fan from Roseville?

I must need another cup of coffee this morning, because I'm having trouble staying with you on this. Are you implying, as it seems that you must be, that (white) Sox fans have more trouble getting over their bigotry than (white) Cub fans? Is it that Cub fans' blind loyalty to the team/ballpark trump their racism? Oh, what a wonderful world this would be if something so simple would solve racism in this world! I am offended that you paint me (and yourself!), as Sox fans, with the broad brush of racism.

Not that it is racist, but person will have a better time relating to someone who look more like them. Thus a white person will relate better with a white player, Asians loves Ichiro and Matsui, if there was a Sox player with a Mc or O' in there name the Irish would love him and so forth. Some players cross this line like MJ, Tiger, McGuire, and Sosa to name a few.

34 Inch Stick
08-20-2003, 10:06 AM
I still don't forgive Jerry Dybzinski and both are race and ethnicity are the same.

davenicholson
08-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not that it is racist, but person will have a better time relating to someone who look more like them. Thus a white person will relate better with a white player, Asians loves Ichiro and Matsui, if there was a Sox player with a Mc or O' in there name the Irish would love him and so forth. Some players cross this line like MJ, Tiger, McGuire, and Sosa to name a few.
Now here is a sane, rational post I agree with. But I still vehemently disagree with the rationale of some of the other arguements in this thread. I think that we've beaten this to death. Over and out!

inta
08-20-2003, 10:11 AM

i'm just going by the standard that most sox fans are southsiders or generational fans from families from the southside. sure there's northside born sox fans, suburban fans, etc. but the majority are from or have family from the southside. and unfortunately the southside has seen alot of racial strife.
this does not make them racist as you are assuming, it just lends to a general tendancy towards more forgiveness for the white players.

you really do need that coffee.
you're completely missing the point.
please re-read my post without being so quick on the defensive.
i am NOT saying cubs fans are more tolerant, less bigoted, etc at all. just explaining that sosa bit you brought up. they blindly cheer anything in cubdom.
i do not think sox fans are racist in general at all....

MarqSox
08-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
That's pretty much exactly what I meant people connect with people who are like them, whether it be race, nationality, religion, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't result in an active dislike of someone who is different.

And anyone who says this doesn't apply to them, answer me this: What difference does it make, for example, that X number of Americans were killed in the latest terrorist attack in the Middle East? It matters because WE are Americans and thus we have an unbreakable bond with those people. It's not that the life of a Palestinian kid is worth less than the life of an American kid, it's just that the American kid is more like us and therefore we can empathize a little better.

Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does explain a lot about our culture.