PDA

View Full Version : Worst conductor?

Iwritecode
08-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Maybe this is PL material, but it has been all over the place and is technically baseball-related. Just wondering who you guys think has been the worst 7th inning stretch "guest conductor" at the Urinal? Also, do you think it's time for this tradition to go? It started out as a tribute to Harry, which I can respect. But lately, it has become an advertising space and a joke.

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 02:11 PM
You forgot an option: "Who gives a ****?" That gets my vote.

DrCrawdad
08-19-2003, 02:15 PM
In the It'll Never Happen Column...

As a snub to the Cubs I wish the Sox would play video tape on the Jumbotron of Harry doing the Take Me Out from while Harry was a Sox announcer.

thecell
08-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

As a snub to the Cubs I wish the Sox would play video tape on the Jumbotron of Harry doing the Take Me Out from while Harry was a Sox announcer.

They should do it on a half price night to show all of the Flub fans that Harry was with the Sox first.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by thecell
They should do it on a half price night to show all of the Flub fans that Harry was with the Sox first.

Flubs fans can't count back in time that far.

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
You forgot an option: "Who gives a ****?" That gets my vote.

I added it, you can vote now...

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Flubs fans can't count back in time that far.

Most of the current "FOW" weren't even teenagers back then, so most of them have no memory of it at all and the Sox certainly aren't advertising how they chased him off the southside.

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Most of the current "FOW" weren't even teenagers back then, so most of them have no memory of it at all and the Sox certainly aren't advertising how they chased him off the southside.

I read or heard somewhere that virtually all the Harry Caray tapes were destroyed when the Reinhorn/Einsdorf team bought the club and fired him. That's why the "Sox History" bits on the Diamond Vision are never more than 22 years old.

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 03:50 PM
I added it, you can vote now...

Thanks! Wasn't exactly what I was thinking, but it works. :gulp:

GoSox2K3
08-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Why are we voting on Cubs stuff? Are Sox fans watching that many Cub games to know who they have signing the 7th inning stretch?

Regarding running a tape of Harry - great idea but it'll never happen while Reinsdorf owns the team. It's his fault that the 7th inning stretch is assumed to be a Cubs tradition by most people today.

A.T. Money
08-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Actually, it did happen, at the All Star Game.

WinningUgly!
08-19-2003, 04:50 PM
I personally like Ozzy & Ditka's versions the best. Anytime the conductor doesn't say "root root root for the Cubbies" it's a job well done.

WhiteSoxWinner
08-19-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I personally like Ozzy & Ditka's versions the best. Anytime the conductor doesn't say "root root root for the Cubbies" it's a job well done.

I can see Ditka, but to say Ozzy didn't say "root root root for the Cubbies", I would argue he didn't say much of anything!!! Except for the number two. He got that during the three strikes part of the song.

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 11:27 PM
My fathers wife went to that game with a friend of her's who is blind. It was some group blind outing day, and the group had bought tickets. She ended up behind a pole because "obstructed view seat" doesn't bother blind people.

She said that she couldn't understand Ozzie at all and when she went to the bathroom, some lady commented that Ozzie is on medication. Um... when you get it from a doctor, it is considered medication. When they sell it on the corner in $10 bags, it is called drugs... :D:

Iwritecode
08-20-2003, 12:40 AM
My fathers wife went to that game with a friend of her's who is blind. It was some group blind outing day, and the group had bought tickets. She ended up behind a pole because "obstructed view seat" doesn't bother blind people.

She said that she couldn't understand Ozzie at all and when she went to the bathroom, some lady commented that Ozzie is on medication. Um... when you get it from a doctor, it is considered medication. When they sell it on the corner in $10 bags, it is called drugs... :D:

Is Ozzy truly that out of it or is it all just an act since he's had cameras following him around 24/7 for his TV show? I've heard this brought up by a few people I know. One person said they went to Ozzfest and he didn't seem that bad on stage. Makes you wonder if he's just playing it up for the cameras.

On the other hand, I do like the fact that he managed to get the words "green eggs and ham" in his rendition of "take me out to the ballgame".

:gulp:

Iwritecode
08-20-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Why are we voting on Cubs stuff? Are Sox fans watching that many Cub games to know who they have signing the 7th inning stretch?

Not really. It's just the fact that these guys were so horrible, that basically everyone was talking about it the next day. I am usually forced to watch/hear it during sportscenter while trying to check the Sox score. The only one I don't honestly remember is Dickie V. I just picked that up from the Moron column.

alohafri
08-20-2003, 10:35 AM
When I heard the "singing", I had no idea who it was. The way he sounded, I thought it was a handicapped person, so I didn't make fun of him. Then when I found out it was Ozzy, I was flabbergasted.

I recently read that Ozzy was caught reading off of cue cards during the taping of his show. Apparently, the show is not as spontaneous as the viewing public has been led to believe...

(Mrs. Aloha)