PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the yankee series

MRKARNO
08-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Here's how the pitching matchups are looking as of now

8/26 Esteban Loaiza vs. Roger Clemens

8/27 Neal Cotts vs. Sterling Hitchcock

8/28 Mark Buehrle vs. Mike Mussina

I think we're looking relatively good for game one, but clemensais still pretty damn good. It should be a duel. Same goes with Buehrle vs. Mussina but it's the middle game that bothers me. Hitchcock isnt particularly great, but I'm scared of Neal cotts pitching at Yankee stadium. I think unless cotts can pitch a quality start on friday that we shouldnt give him the opportunity against the yankees

kermittheefrog
08-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Jeez the kid sure isn't getting any breaks. He faces the defending World Series champs to begin his big league career, the strong Rangers offense next and now the Yankees.

Iwritecode
08-19-2003, 12:20 PM
With the off day on the 25th they can have Loazia, Colon, Burly instead. Then Cotts wouldn't be needed until they face Detroit.

SoxFan76
08-19-2003, 12:22 PM
im feeling pretty good about this series. the sox seem to pick it up against the top teams in the league. its just those last place teams they cant beat. so even though we have to face mussina and clemens, they are beatable.

i hope neal cotts can settle down and give a decent start. didnt he only give up 2 walks last start? i think so, so thats a good sign.

jcw218
08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
i hope neal cotts can settle down and give a decent start. didnt he only give up 2 walks last start? i think so, so thats a good sign.

Here are Neil's stats from his 2nd game
IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
N Cotts 5 2/3 5 4 4 2 6 1 109-67 6.75

Here are the links to the

Box Score (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230817113)

Game Log (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=230817113)

and Pitch by Pitch (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=230817113&full=1)

CHISOXFAN13
08-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Cotts was fine in the second game. Give the kid a chance.

Heck, the way Colon's been dealing of late, I think we have a better chance with Cotts on the bump.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Cotts was fine in the second game. Give the kid a chance.

Heck, the way Colon's been dealing of late, I think we have a better chance with Cotts on the bump.

I agree. Cotts should be kept around as long as he's effective. Besides, the Sox won't always need to use their number five starter because of off-days in the schedule.

MRKARNO
08-19-2003, 02:35 PM
well we'll need Cotts to pitch at least twice in the final homestand of 13 games unless jerry decides to go to a four man rotation in the final stretch (3 with minny, 7 with KC and 3 with the yanks). If he improves again in this next start we wont have to go to a four man rotation at all

kempsted
08-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Cotts will NOT start against the Yankees due to the off day. The number 5 starter (Cotts for now) will start August 22 and 30th (Texas and Detroit) and then due to off days we wont need the number 5 starter until September 20th. That is good - but it is against KC :(: The start after that would be 25th which is also against KC. So JM really doesn't have to worry about the number 5 starter until next month but ...

MRKARNO
08-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I guess it's ok because if Cotts gets in a jam we have Danny Wright to back him up

Procol Harum
08-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Here's how the pitching matchups are looking as of now

8/26 Esteban Loaiza vs. Roger Clemens

8/28 Mark Buehrle vs. Mike Mussina

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof..."

I think I'll concern myself about what happens tonight with the Angels before I start sweatin' the Yankee series....