PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day - August 19

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Carl Everett might not win a Gold Glove for his play in center field, but Manuel said Everett's lack of range is a fair trade for what the switch-hitting veteran brings to the plate.

"Obviously there is a lack of range out there, but I don't see that as being detrimental," Manuel said. "I still like the bat. I think New York played (Hideki) Matsui in center field for a while and I don't know if he's the swiftest of guys out there or not.

"There really are no perfect teams out there. You're going to have some (deficiencies) some place if you're to have the type of offense we're looking for."

This from the man who refuses to play Frank Thomas at first base because he's worried about defense at that position. Manuel is so inconsistent with his personel moves and managerial decisions. He says one thing, and then he turns around and does the opposite. Then he says something else, but he doesn't stick with that for more than a few days.

****ing idiot --------------------------------------------> :jerry

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Carl Everett might not win a Gold Glove for his play in center field, but Manuel said Everett's lack of range is a fair trade for what the switch-hitting veteran brings to the plate.

"Obviously there is a lack of range out there, but I don't see that as being detrimental," Manuel said. "I still like the bat. I think New York played (Hideki) Matsui in center field for a while and I don't know if he's the swiftest of guys out there or not.

"There really are no perfect teams out there. You're going to have some (deficiencies) some place if you're to have the type of offense we're looking for."

This from the man who refuses to play Frank Thomas at first base because he's worried about defense at that position. Manuel is so inconsistent with his personel moves and managerial decisions. He says one thing, and then he turns around and does the opposite. Then he says something else, but he doesn't stick with that for more than a few days.

But Konerko is the guy who publicly chewed out Frank Thomas last year. That guarantees him the job at first base as long as Manuel is managing this team.

FarmerAndy
08-19-2003, 12:11 PM
C'mon guys. Defense at 1B is way more important than defense in CF.

I am not very confident in our chances to make the playoffs with Jerry Manuel in charge.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
C'mon guys. Defense at 1B is way more important than defense in CF.

I am not very confident in our chances to make the playoffs with Jerry Manuel in charge.

I think the team can make the playoffs, but I'm not so sure what they will do once they get there. Jerry Manuel has proven time and time again that he has no clue how to actually manage a ballclub. His constant tinkering and misuse of key players (i.e. Frank Thomas) is the reason why this team continues to underachieve.

What bothers me is that the media continue to make excuses for him. They act as though everything is the players' fault, and that's not the case. The members of WSI follow the team more closely than most media people, and I think virtually everyone here agrees that Manuel has been a bigger problem than any of the players.

Paulwny
08-19-2003, 12:16 PM

[B]"Obviously there is a lack of range out there, but I don't see that as being detrimental," Manuel said. "I still like the bat. I think New York played (Hideki) Matsui in center field for a while and I don't know if he's the swiftest of guys out there or not.

Actually, Matsui appears to be a better cf than Bernie Williams. While Williams was on the dl the yanks saw that Matsui gets a better jump on the ball and has a better arm.
There was some speculation by yank announcers and writers that Torre might ask Williams to play lf and leave Matsui in cf.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Actually, Matsui appears to be a better cf than Bernie Williams. While Williams was on the dl the yanks saw that Matsui gets a better jump on the ball and has a better arm.
There was some speculation by yank announcers and writers that Torre might ask Williams to play lf and leave Matsui in cf.

It's nice to see that Manuel knows what he's talking about.

ChiSoxBobette
08-19-2003, 03:45 PM

I think this thing with Manuel about not playing Frank at 1st base is a personal matter now. Manuel is just going to stick it to Big Frank about this point of playing 1st base every chance he gets. I don't know what the big deal is is not like Konerko is a gold glove 1st baseman and putting Frank out there hurts us that much. Manuel now is going to show Frank that he's the manager and Frank will have to just live with not playing 1st base.

Go White Sox
Go Big Hurt!

MRKARNO
08-19-2003, 03:47 PM
well now that Frank had 2 homers at DH, you just know manuel will put him at first tonight

bobj4400
08-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Frank will be playing a lot of first base next year. Whoever the new manager of the Sox is will not have a choice in the matter.

Only 37 games left with Tinkerbell...

southpaw40
08-19-2003, 03:57 PM
For what it's worth, Rick Sutcliffe (admittedly a Royals- loving moron) says that the Sox can't afford to play the Big Hurt at first because of his poor throwing. Says that his fielding and catching of throws is o.k. though.

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by southpaw40
For what it's worth, Rick Sutcliffe (admittedly a Royals- loving moron) says that the Sox can't afford to play the Big Hurt at first because of his poor throwing. Says that his fielding and catching of throws is o.k. though.

Deciding on who plays 1B because of their arm is like deciding on who the pitcher is because of his stronger bat or his fielding for that matter...

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
I think this thing with Manuel about not playing Frank at 1st base is a personal matter now. Manuel is just going to stick it to Big Frank about this point of playing 1st base every chance he gets. I don't know what the big deal is is not like Konerko is a gold glove 1st baseman and putting Frank out there hurts us that much. Manuel now is going to show Frank that he's the manager and Frank will have to just live with not playing 1st base.

Go White Sox
Go Big Hurt!

:jerry

"I'be been busting Franks chops since at least 1999. Go back and read Vickery's last three columns and you'll see just a few of the things I've done to screw him over."

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Frank will be playing a lot of first base next year. Whoever the new manager of the Sox is will not have a choice in the matter.

Only 37 games left with Tinkerbell...

:reinsy

"So you really think I'll pay two managers for a full season. As my mentor P.T. Barnum used to say, 'There's one born every minute.'"

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by southpaw40

"Frank is killing us with those five 3-6-3 double plays he can't make every year."

TornLabrum
08-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Deciding on who plays 1B because of their arm is like deciding on who the pitcher is because of his stronger bat or his fielding for that matter...

"I choose which pitchers I use based on their batting average just in case I need to put my DH in the field and have the pitcher bat."

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

"I choose which pitchers I use based on their batting average just in case I need to put my DH in the field and have the pitcher bat."

He still wouldn't play Frank at first...

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 05:39 PM
This crap with Frank not playing first base has progressed to the point that I don't even care about Manuel's reasons for not playing him there. I just him to be fired. Any other manager would have put Frank at first as soon as it became clear that he needed to be out there in order to be productive (1998). Jerry Manuel has had six seasons to get this right, but he hasn't.

:firejerry

Brian26
08-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Geez, if that's Manuel's opinion on the importance of range in centerfield, why doesn't he switch Mags and Everett around so Mags is in center and Everett is in right.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Geez, if that's Manuel's opinion on the importance of range in centerfield, why doesn't he switch Mags and Everett around so Mags is in center and Everett is in right.

He tried Maggs in center before the Everett trade. The move was made in an effort to get Armando Rios more at-bats.

Brian26
08-19-2003, 11:32 PM
He tried Maggs in center before the Everett trade. The move was made in an effort to get Armando Rios more at-bats.

I know. I actually suggested this before the season started in an effort to get Daubach's bat in the lineup as a rightfielder. I think Mags in center this year was more due to injuries to Rowand and Borchard.

jeremyb1
08-20-2003, 01:43 AM
Come on guys. First of all, I'll say for the upteenth time that I think you're beating a dead horse. This is preaching to the choir. I've yet to see one poster on this board argue that Frank should play DH instead of 1B. The point has been made, virtually everyone agrees. Starting several threads a day about how ridiculous a decision it is won't make any difference at this point.

Also, the logic used in this thread is horrendous. If Manuel wants to keep Everett in the lineup, he has no choice but to play him in CF unless he benches Carlos or Maggs, two of our four best hitters. With Frank, he's still getting at bats every game regardless of whether he plays 1B or DH. While you could argue his production is diminshed, he's still a very good hitter at DH. Frank's not being benched for defense and its not as though we have Rowand playing DH with Everett in CF. Yes, Frank should see more time at 1B but its not the same situation as with Everett.

Acid
08-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Carl should DH with Thomas at 1st and rowand in CF. Solves the problem of defence in CF and puts Frank where he should be in the field, which has proved in the past helps his bat which is what he is all about. Gives ya Paul off the bench to PH and has at least 1 game winning HR in that role this year.

TornLabrum
08-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Acid
Carl should DH with Thomas at 1st and rowand in CF. Solves the problem of defence in CF and puts Frank where he should be in the field, which has proved in the past helps his bat which is what he is all about. Gives ya Paul off the bench to PH and has at least 1 game winning HR in that role this year.

Ain't gonna happen. "Golden Boy" is going to play first base because he's "capable of carrying this team" (unlike Thomas who actually has carried the team on his back for about a month this year.

Dadawg_77
08-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Acid

Wasn't it a game tieing home run, Frank hit the game winning one in that game.