PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the Sox should hire this guy as manager

gosox41
08-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Any guesses on who said this?

"Role my a**. Guy pitches two years in the big leagues and wants to know his role? Your role os to come to the park and be prepared to help his f***** win and do whatever the manager asks. Rolls are something you put butter on. Role my a**. It gets to be an excuse. Guy isn't doing well and he says it's because he doesn't know his role. I can't stand it."

It's an interesting quote, especially considering who said it. Of course when I read it, I immiediately thought this guy would strangle Rick White if he were on his team.

Bob

Randar68
08-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

"Role my a**. Guy pitches two years in the big leagues and wants to know his role? Your role os to come to the park and be prepared to help his f***** win and do whatever the manager asks. Rolls are something you put butter on. Role my a**. It gets to be an excuse. Guy isn't doing well and he says it's because he doesn't know his role. I can't stand it."

It's an interesting quote, especially considering who said it. Of course when I read it, I immiediately thought this guy would strangle Rick White if he were on his team.

Bob

Sweet Lou? Current manager somewhere? hmmmm. Showalter? I have no idea.

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 12:05 PM

Bob
I don't know who it was, but I know Chimp and Stone were saying pretty much the same thing the other night when White pitched for the Astros against the Cubs. It was one of the first intelligent comments I'd ever heard out of Chimp.
:chimp
"White complained that Jerry Manuel wasn't using the bullpen the right way and that guys there didn't know their roles. Seems to me, they bring you in to pitch in a close ballgame, your role is to get guys out. Judging by his ERA, he didn't grasp that role very well."

jcw218
08-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Bob

My guess is Joe Torre.

FJA
08-19-2003, 01:26 PM

Bob

Ron Gardenhire?

gosox41
08-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Sweet Lou? Current manager somewhere? hmmmm. Showalter? I have no idea.

In answer to your question, no, he's not currently managing.

Bob

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 02:43 PM
In answer to your question, no, he's not currently managing.

Bob

Hal McRae?

gosox41
08-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Hal McRae?

I own't drag it out much longer. I guess what I found ironic about his philosophy is that even though it's been successful it's not widely folowed by those who work under him. That hsould do it.

Bob

maurice
08-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Sounds like Leyland to me. He's the most anti-bullpen-role former manager I can remember.

A.T. Money
08-19-2003, 03:06 PM
So.....who was it?!?!?

Jerko
08-19-2003, 03:14 PM
KW

xil357
08-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Carlton Fisk

thecell
08-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Jim Leyland?

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Sparky Anderson?

adsit
08-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Tommy Lasorda.

A.T. Money
08-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Pete Rose????

Foulke You
I'll throw Billy Martin and Earl Weaver's name out there.

Steve Bartman
It's gotta be Billy Martin....... :?:

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'll throw Billy Martin and Earl Weaver's name out there.

I know that Billy is dead, and I'm not sure about Weaver...

gosox41
08-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Sounds like Leyland to me. He's the most anti-bullpen-role former manager I can remember.

We have a winner.

I just started reading the book "If they don't win it's a shame" about the 1997 Marlins. For the record Leyland also believes in using a set lineup everyday, even while guys like Sheffield and Bonilla slump and Conine was hitting like .340.

The reason I brought this up was because Leyland's bench coach was none other then:

:jerry

I find it ironic that JM worked with Leyland for a year (as well as Alou) who clearly was a decent manager and failed to pick up on his philosophies of baseball. In fact, he seems to do the opposite of Leyland.

Bob

FJA
08-19-2003, 07:21 PM
We have a winner.

I just started reading the book "If they don't win it's a shame" about the 1997 Marlins. For the record Leyland also believes in using a set lineup everyday, even while guys like Sheffield and Bonilla slump and Conine was hitting like .340.

The reason I brought this up was because Leyland's bench coach was none other then:

:jerry

I find it ironic that JM worked with Leyland for a year (as well as Alou) who clearly was a decent manager and failed to pick up on his philosophies of baseball. In fact, he seems to do the opposite of Leyland.

Bob

JM subscribes more to the philosophies of Alou, who might even use more lineups than JM. That being said, it obviously doesn't work as well (although adding Barry Bonds to a lineup will make anyone look like a genius).

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by FJA
JM subscribes more to the philosophies of Alou, who might even use more lineups than JM. That being said, it obviously doesn't work as well (although adding Barry Bonds to a lineup will make anyone look like a genius).

I dunno about that (the multiple lineups, not the Bonds thing). Alou coached several atrocious Expos teams to some very respectable seasons, so it's hard to say that the philosophy itself doesn't work. Perhaps it just doesn't always work.

FJA
08-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I dunno about that (the multiple lineups, not the Bonds thing). Alou coached several atrocious Expos teams to some very respectable seasons, so it's hard to say that the philosophy itself doesn't work. Perhaps it just doesn't always work.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to say Alou isn't a great manager, because he is. If anything, it's not Alou's philosophy that's faulty, it's Manuel's "instincts."

maurice
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
We have a winner.

So what do I win? May I suggest: :gulp:

:)