PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Acquire Womack

hold2dibber
08-19-2003, 10:07 AM
For reasons that are not at all apparent to me, the Cubs traded a minor leaguer for Tony Womack today (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1598923) . Womack makes Royce Clayton look like Lou Gehrig.

kittle42
08-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Watch out now, NL Central foes.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2003, 10:53 AM
With respect I think the point is being missed here.

You can argue about the quality and speculate about the effectiveness but the fact is the Cubs are making move after move seemingly on a daily basis.

They are bringing in players to try to help their position and consider what the players on the Astros and Cardinals are thinking about their management right now.

Meanwhile the White Sox with a desperate need for pitching continue to sit with their thumb up their rear end.

I guess waiver restrictions only apply to the White Sox eh?

Lip

MarqSox
08-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Meanwhile the White Sox with a desperate need for pitching continue to sit with their thumb up their rear end.

Lip
Just because you put in a waiver request doesn't mean you get the guy. Yeah, I'm sure the Sox could acquire a AAA pitcher, but why? There's no doubt in my mind that KW is working on something, but we don't know what those talks are like. I mean, if Seattle is demanding Corwin Malone and Joe Borchard for Freddy Garcia, then screw it.

I'm all for mortgaging the future for the here and now, but we don't want to get robbed either.

bobj4400
08-19-2003, 11:02 AM

What do you mean...Joe Bread and Water will be here any day now.

fquaye149
08-19-2003, 11:11 AM
i think he makes royce look like mike gallego

Lip Man 1
08-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Who is Joe Bread and Water?

Lip

jcw218
08-19-2003, 11:23 AM

Lip

Jose Paniagua.

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 11:23 AM

Lip

Jose Paniaqua

MarkEdward
08-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Haha. Dusty sure loves his vets...

thepaulbowski
08-19-2003, 11:38 AM

You can argue about the quality and speculate about the effectiveness but the fact is the Cubs are making move after move seemingly on a daily basis.

They are bringing in players to try to help their position and consider what the players on the Astros and Cardinals are thinking about their management right now.

Lip

I don't think we should just try to acquire a pitcher to get a pitcher. We have enough problems in our bullpen, we don't need another project. What names are out there that are even attainable or worthwhile? I can't think of any off-hand, but that doesn't mean there isn't. I truly think the KW & JR want to win and would make a deal that would make improve this team.

Brian26
08-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Is this Cubsinteractive.com? I could care less about what utility infielder they picked up. It shouldn't be a topic to start a thread here. Let's celebrate Frank's big night last night. Screw the Cubs.

Hokiesox
08-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Is this Cubsinteractive.com? I could care less about what utility infielder they picked up. It shouldn't be a topic to start a thread here. Let's celebrate Frank's big night last night. Screw the Cubs.

Why does any White Sox fan care who the Cubs pick up? Unless there was a better than average chance of the two teams playing in the World Series. Since I doubt that will happen until either team picks up an unfrozen Ted Williams (i.e. a looooooong time from now), I'm not worried about the Cubs. When one team does make it to the series, the other one probably won't the same year. Womack? So what?

:bandance: :gulp:

DrCrawdad
08-19-2003, 12:56 PM

Lip

Picking up Womack is a move, but Womack is hitting about .215 with an On Base Perc. just about that lowly BA.

There are moves and then there are moves just to make moves. I'd say that this Cubbie move falls in the latter.

KW's recent moves (Alomar, Everett & Schoenweiss) were IMHO improvements.

Also the Sox need to make moves when and where they improve the Sox in comparison to the Twins and the Royals. The moves the Cubbies make have no effect on the Sox chances for a division title.

Dadawg_77
08-19-2003, 01:03 PM

Lip

Your missing the point here. Yeah the Sox could go out and make a move, but the question which needs to be answer every single time you make a move is why. The Sox aren't going to pickup a world beater on waivers. You or someone else posted a list of players who cleared waivers, thus could be traded. Of that list there wasn't one name there that would clinch the divisional title for the Sox. The Sox biggest issue is OBP right now, and you will not find a great OBP man on waivers, they will either be pulled back or claimed by someone else. Also you don't want to make bad moves, Womack is subtraction by addition. He is below replacement level player.

dllrbll7
08-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Anyone see the Fox noon news where the broadcaster said that 'Womack is a good pick up just incase TONY GRAFFININO can't recover from his broken wrist.' I couldnt believe it when i heard it but she definately said Tony G.

SoxFanDan
08-19-2003, 01:09 PM
The Cubs would kill for a Tony Graffanino.
he should be starting over valentin

RKMeibalane
08-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Anyone see the Fox noon news where the broadcaster said that 'Womack is a good pick up just incase TONY GRAFFININO can't recover from his broken wrist.' I couldnt believe it when i heard it but she definately said Tony G.

Consider that the Cubs get the bulk of the media coverage, one would think that people could at least get their facts straight. Sheesh!

Dadawg_77
08-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Consider that the Cubs get the bulk of the media coverage, one would think that people could at least get their facts straight. Sheesh!

Well at least its fair and balanced.

duke of dorwood
08-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Good one !

Max Power
08-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Are people impressed because the Cubs can acquire mediocre players after the deadline? Not me.

Not Rob Neyer either. Amusing article.
http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1599053.html

Let's review for a moment ... While hunting for the National League Central title, the Cubs have added

Kenny Lofton
Aramis Ramirez
Doug Glanville
Randall Simon
Tony Womack

These guys all have one thing in common: they're not productive hitters. Lofton will give you a decent average, but he no longer draws walks and he has no power. Ramirez hits the occasional homer, but he swings at everything and he's awful with the glove. Glanville never met a pitch he didn't like. Same with Simon, a singles-hitting first baseman (think Mark Grace without the doubles or the walks). And Tony Womack's very good at promoting literacy with the youngsters.

maurice
08-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Neyer has a nice retort to the stooges (in this case, Cubs management) who think that an old, bad player is more valuable than a younger, better player:

[I]n Bizzaro World maybe it's being old that makes the Cubs want him. Why play a utility man like Martinez . . . when you can have a Proven Veteran (with Speed!) like Tony Womack? In the real world, all Womack has proven . . . in recent seasons is that he should be a Utility Man. In Bizzaro World, it seems that "Proven" refers to having proven that you can't play.

Hangar18
08-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dllrbll7

Heh Heh ......

MHOUSE
08-19-2003, 10:57 PM
This is an MLB forum to discuss MLB news. Any move (including the Cubs) is baseball news. I for one like to know what's going on the north side and why. Hate them if u want, but not knock anyone for posting about their moves.

RichH55
08-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Watch out now, NL Central foes.

Could always deal Carlos Lee for Rick Helling...thats a move, right?>

Jjav829
08-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Who cares? Tony Womack blows. I would take Willie Harris over him in an instant. Like someone pointed out earlier, this is a move just to make a move.

TornLabrum
08-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
This is an MLB forum to discuss MLB news. Any move (including the Cubs) is baseball news. I for one like to know what's going on the north side and why. Hate them if u want, but not knock anyone for posting about their moves.

That's actually not in the description of this particular message board. However, it is a "place for Sox fans to gather," and I know that when I talk with other Sox fans, the conversation does stray to other stuff going on.

So I have no problem with this thread. I suggest that those who do just skip over it when they see the word "Cubs" in the subject line.

Thunderstruck30
08-20-2003, 04:01 PM
The only good thing Tony Womack ever did was get that clutch game tying hit in game 7 of the series.

RichH55
08-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
The only good thing Tony Womack ever did was get that clutch game tying hit in game 7 of the series.

Are you suggesting you can win a World Series without great defensive players everywhere? Especially at SS? I think you are wrong sir