PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the Sox hit Shields?

gosox41
08-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Does anyone know anything about this guy? I know it's not a fair sample size, but the Sox haven't hit this guy well at all. I just can't figure out why.

Bob

voodoochile
08-19-2003, 09:50 AM
I thought you meant the street. That would be one BIG foul fly...

kermittheefrog
08-19-2003, 10:12 AM
My guess would be because he's a good pitcher.

CHISOXFAN13
08-19-2003, 10:14 AM
By looking at his numbers, we aure aren't the only team scuffling against him.

I agree with Kermit, this guy has good stuff.

gosox41
08-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
My guess would be because he's a good pitcher.

So the Sox with their above average offense will score 1-2 runs off good pitching? Is this guy Schilling good? Prior good? RJ good? Maddux good? Or is he another pitcher with some potential that the Sox can't hit?

Also, not every pitcher that beats the Sox is necessarily a good pitcher.

Bob

CHISOXFAN13
08-19-2003, 10:21 AM
He has three wins, so he has obviously had success against other teams.

With an ERA of 2.15, I think that should tell you he can pitch a little.

He was a member of the Angels pen that was slightly above average last season and one of the key factors in them hositing a world championship pennant.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2003, 10:58 AM
The point has been raised and I think there is some validity to it.

What is the White Sox advance scouting department doing (or not doing) in regards to reports on little known pitchers?

Why do the Sox seem to have so much trouble with them? Or as Manager Gandhi said a few days ago in a rare lucid moment, "we keep them in the league..?"

How much of it is scouting? How much is the fault are the Sox hitters themselves? What type of plan does Gandhi and Greg Walker have for the hitters before they face these type of pitchers? and is it being followed?

Lip

Chisoxfn
08-20-2003, 01:08 AM
In regards to Shields, he's just a good pitcher. I've been high on this kid for the past year or two and have got to see him a lot in Anaheim.

He is always ahead of hitters and has great control of his fastball, cutter, sinker, curve and the ocassional changeup. I think he had arm surgery a few years ago in the minors for some team (possibly the Angels). Shields was the guy I wanted the Sox to acquire to fill the void in the bullpen, although he's proving most of the league that he can also be a starter and the Angels will be giving him that chance next year.