PDA

View Full Version : JM on ESPN Classic

LuvSox
08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
If this is the game I'm thinking of, you can see JM in action today at 4:00. It's the Dodgers/Expos playoff game 5 in 1981. JM pinch runs late in the game.

gosox41
08-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
If this is the game I'm thinking of, you can see JM in action today at 4:00. It's the Dodgers/Expos playoff game 5 in 1981. JM pinch runs late in the game.

JM should replace Bob Villa on "This Old House" since he likes to tinker so much.

Bob

adsit
08-18-2003, 04:20 PM
This was tempting enough to look up... it was JM's only appearance in the NLCS, and it happened in game 5. Why? Well... during the division series vs. the Phillies (they split the season because of the strike, remember) he was 1-for-14 with 5 strikeouts. Jim Fanning must have said "unless there's some sort of emergency I don't think I'll put him out there."

Speaking of Fanning... it's worth remembering he was a late-season managerial replacement for a team "still in it."

MisterB
08-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
It's the Dodgers/Expos playoff game 5 in 1981. JM pinch runs late in the game.

Judging by the Sox' running game under Manuel, I figure he either gets picked off or thrown out trying to take the extra base...

voodoochile
08-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Not quite the same, but I saw Manuel in a local Lexus commercial earlier today. I had no idea anyone considered him a viable spokesperson for their product. Obviously they haven't been paying attention to the fan's reactions...

Lip Man 1
08-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Manuel also made an appearance in the "Bird" Fidrych game on ESPN Classic from 1976 Yankees at Tigers.

He didn't do squat in it either.

Lip

SoxEd
08-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Not quite the same, but I saw Manuel in a local Lexus commercial earlier today. I had no idea anyone considered him a viable spokesperson for their product. Obviously they haven't been paying attention to the fan's reactions...

But it's just the sort of car that a yuppie Cubs fan would buy, and if he prevents us from reaching the playoffs, they'll feel like he's a guy who's on their side.

Actually, then again, they may not recognise him, after all, he is only famous for Baseball.

:smile: