PDA

View Full Version : Cotts/Adkins

hold2dibber
08-18-2003, 03:17 PM
I've been out of town in the remote wilderness of Wisconsin, so I missed Cotts' first start and I haven't seen Adkins (Atkins?) pitch yet at all. My impression of Cotts last night was that he has a better than average fast ball, a decent change (not much movement, but he appears to throw it with the same delivery as his fastball, making it somewhat deceptive), and a not so great curve. The curve will only work if it's in a really good location and he throws it infrequenly enough that no hitters sit back and wait for it. IMHO, if he can develop a decent breaking pitch (either a cut fastball, a slider, or a splitter), he could be pretty good, perhaps a no. 3 starter down the road. I am cautiously optimistic.

I'm curious as to what others think and about what impressions people have had of Adkins.

voodoochile
08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've been out of town in the remote wilderness of Wisconsin, so I missed Cotts' first start and I haven't seen Adkins (Atkins?) pitch yet at all. My impression of Cotts last night was that he has a better than average fast ball, a decent change (not much movement, but he appears to throw it with the same delivery as his fastball, making it somewhat deceptive), and a not so great curve. The curve will only work if it's in a really good location and he throws it infrequenly enough that no hitters sit back and wait for it. IMHO, if he can develop a decent breaking pitch (either a cut fastball, a slider, or a splitter), he could be pretty good, perhaps a no. 3 starter down the road. I am cautiously optimistic.

I'm curious as to what others think and about what impressions people have had of Adkins.

Cotts has control problems. He walked a whole mess of people in Anaheim. In general I think he will struggle with more patient teams until he learns better control.

Adkins has a solid fastball - though it is pretty straight. He works up in the zone too much and as a result got drilled pretty hard.

That's just what I saw.

JJAustin69
08-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Cotts looked pretty nervous in Anaheim though, looked like he didn't belong in the bigs. However, the start he had in Texas is about all you could want from a 5th starter. He kept us in the game and pitched with a lot more control. I'm cautiously optimistic about his future as well. As for Adkins, he is not ready for the show right now. He needs to go back down in a hurry.

Randar68
08-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
Cotts looked pretty nervous in Anaheim though, looked like he didn't belong in the bigs. However, the start he had in Texas is about all you could want from a 5th starter. He kept us in the game and pitched with a lot more control. I'm cautiously optimistic about his future as well. As for Adkins, he is not ready for the show right now. He needs to go back down in a hurry.

Adkins will never be ready for the show. He can be great one night, and the next night look like Aaron Myette.