PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon - An Observation

KingXerxes
08-18-2003, 01:58 PM
After the Texas game this weekend, I have to make this personal observation.

Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else out there find this guy to be just a bit on the "strange" side as far as today's athletes go?

By that, I mean he has one facial expression. Whether he is throwing a 2 hitter, or getting rocked, he simply stands out on the mound - weird haricut and all - and chomps on what I assume is chewing gum all the time looking uncomfortably like Oggie Oglethorpe of Slapshot fame. And I would like to reiterate that he doesn't simply chew, he consumes with flapping chomps.

I totally realize that the sign of a good athlete is his ability to not get fazed when something doesn't go his way, but Colon seems to possess this knack to a fault, as if he's had his personality surgically removed.

Has anybody heard anything about how he interacts with teammates and such? I hope he doesn't eerily sit in the corner of the clubhouse vapidly chomping away on pack after pack of Bubs Daddy, staring at everybody else.

whitesoxwilkes
08-18-2003, 02:23 PM
I've actually heard 'tolo is quite a character in the clubhouse and gets along very well with his teammates. Also that his English is fine, but like Ichiro he doesn't speak it to the press at all.

JJAustin69
08-18-2003, 02:30 PM
The way he has been shelled in his last two outings makes me think he is hurt or something. I remember him complaining to Alomar about stiffness in his back in the 8th inning of his last victory. The trainers came out but he finished the game. However, since then, he has been hammered early and often. I think he must have a lower back problem that he is covering up. What do you guys think? Is he pitching hurt or is he just in a funk.

voodoochile
08-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
The way he has been shelled in his last two outings makes me think he is hurt or something. I remember him complaining to Alomar about stiffness in his back in the 8th inning of his last victory. The trainers came out but he finished the game. However, since then, he has been hammered early and often. I think he must have a lower back problem that he is covering up. What do you guys think? Is he pitching hurt or is he just in a funk.

Wasn't that a blister problem? I heard nothing about him having back problems.

mandmandm
08-18-2003, 02:38 PM
During that game Ed and John speculated that the problem was a blister. I am pretty sure that it was later reported as back stiffness. It still appeared that he was consistantly over 90 last night.

JJAustin69
08-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Wasn't that a blister problem? I heard nothing about him having back problems. I was watching the game on ESPN and I distinctly remember them showing a replay looking for where he might have pulled something in his back. Then they said that he complained to Alomar about stiffness. I don't remember the blister but, I am at the mercy of ESPN for my info so who knows.

JJAustin69
08-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
During that game Ed and John speculated that the problem was a blister. I am pretty sure that it was later reported as back stiffness. It still appeared that he was consistantly over 90 last night. I know he still has some pop but he can't get the ball down and has a big problem with his locations, all indicative of something being amiss.

JohnJeter
08-18-2003, 03:02 PM
"Demeanor" is a funny thing-- if you're doing well and you show no emotion, you're "very composed and cool out there", "businesslike", "unflappable".

Show the same demeanor when you're getting rocked and it's "doesn't seem to care", "doesn't get fired up", "needs some emotion".

Exhibit A is Loaiza, very businesslike out there.
Exhibit B is Garland, needs some emotion.

KingXerxes
08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I agree that demeanor can mean whatever you want it to mean depending upon the situation:

Winning and fired up - The guy is a competitor
Winning and asleep - The guy is a consumate pro
Losing and fired up - The guy is an immature hothead
Losing and asleep - The guy doesn't care

My point about Colon was not to try to ascribe any of the above to him, it was to point out that he almost fits into his own category in the majors:

"Winning some and losing some and chomping on something out on the mound with a look on his face that defies explanation."

white sox bill
08-18-2003, 04:03 PM
I like his demeanor however they be perceived. Yes, he does look very desensitized, but thats part of his professionalism.

Once he gets out of this funk, I think he'l be just fine. I really don't blame him for not speaking to the press.

Bill

soxnut
08-18-2003, 11:18 PM
I don't care what kind of expression Bartolo has on his face, as long as he performs and wins.

I remember Harold Baines not changing his expression much. He could stike out, or get a key or game-winning hit...and his expression was the same. I think it's kinda cool. :smile: