PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be optimistic but...

WHarris13
08-17-2003, 10:14 PM
We do still have 7 left vs. KC. I know this team is better than they have played of late. They are very streaky and I know they will have another long win streak. I know that Colon/Buehrle/Loazia will come back into their own. They cannot slump for ever. And with the talent in our lineup we will score more than 4 runs a game. We have Alomar/Lee/Thomas/Ordonez/Everett, that is better than a 4 run per game offense. I still strongly believe this team will win enough to make the playoffs, but it will be tough with Jerry as the manager. But it can still be done. I am gonna get ripped for being optimistic, but I will take it. So rip away.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm with you on all of that

WHarris13
08-17-2003, 10:18 PM
At least I am not alone.

mike squires
08-17-2003, 10:19 PM
I don't know what is worse...Losing 3 in a row to the Texas Rangers or losing to a Texas Ranger ball club with only 4 people I know on the team. Kinda makes me sick.

ChiSox7
08-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I would totally agree with you if there was just KC to worry about. Unfortunately, I'm not worried about KC at all. I figure we'll be very close at the end, and it will be a battle over that last week. The only problem is that Minnys in there too. While we are battling with KC, probably splitting the series, Minny has DETRIOT, who they have only lost to once in the last 22 games. The rest of their schedule is cake compared to ours. It's gonna suck when Min goes on to win the central

inta
08-17-2003, 10:25 PM
i'm still optimistic that we'll get hot again, but will it be too late?

c'mon, getting swept by texas? that's just ridiculous. if a whole team is slumping there's only one reason for it, no conspiracies, no excuses... it's manuel. it drives me nutsseeing dusty baker turn the cubs into a non-joke, while we become the butt of baseball in chi.

WHarris13
08-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
I would totally agree with you if there was just KC to worry about. Unfortunately, I'm not worried about KC at all. I figure we'll be very close at the end, and it will be a battle over that last week. The only problem is that Minnys in there too. While we are battling with KC, probably splitting the series, Minny has DETRIOT, who they have only lost to once in the last 22 games. The rest of their schedule is cake compared to ours. It's gonna suck when Min goes on to win the central We also have 7 vs. Minny which will be very crucial games.

TornLabrum
08-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by WHarris13
We also have 7 vs. Minny which will be very crucial games.

Correct. We can't afford 4-3 with either of these teams. If we do, there is a major theat of the race getting away from us. 5-2 might be acceptable against KC, but we have to go 6-1 against the Twins.

To put it another way, "We're DOOMED!"

Lip Man 1
08-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Hal has it exactly correct.

Three games out with 100 to go is nothing...

Three games back with 10 to go is very difficult, the Sox would have to win 5 of 7 just to guarantee a tie with K.C.

Do you honestly think they could take 6 or all 7? That's why I posted before this road trip that having ANY lead even a half game going into the final ten days is huge.

Lip

Thunderstruck30
08-18-2003, 12:14 AM
The tough September schedule is rather good. The Sox know how to play motivated and win the important divisional games.

kittle42
08-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
The tough September schedule is rather good. The Sox know how to play motivated and win the important divisional games.

Um, shouldn't they be motivated right now?

OEO Magglio
08-18-2003, 01:28 AM
Um, shouldn't they be motivated right now?
They should be, but did you see them play this week? they obviously weren't motivated enough, I also think it's better to have a tough september schedule.

IA_soxfan
08-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
They should be, but did you see them play this week? they obviously weren't motivated enough, I also think it's better to have a tough september schedule.

:jerry
"Mo-ti-vate.....? What the hell does that mean?"

jeremyb1
08-18-2003, 02:01 AM
I don't want to sound greedy or give the impression that I don't have my priorities straight, but I simply can't get all that excited about winning this division with 85 wins. Its an embarassment. Everyone will talk about how someone had to make it in the central, how we were that team, and how its a forgone conclusion that we will get annihilated in the playoffs since we don't really deserve to be there in the first place and you know what? If we do make the playoffs without a really strong finish to the season and end up around 85 wins those people will be right. This team and few of its players have shown the ability to consistently play anywhere near its ability and that doesn't equate to 90+ wins and success in the playoffs unless we really show people we mean business from here on out.

gosox41
08-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
I don't know what is worse...Losing 3 in a row to the Texas Rangers or losing to a Texas Ranger ball club with only 4 people I know on the team. Kinda makes me sick.

What agravates me is the Sox lost to 3 no name pitchers with high ERA's.

Bob

gosox41
08-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't want to sound greedy or give the impression that I don't have my priorities straight, but I simply can't get all that excited about winning this division with 85 wins. Its an embarassment. Everyone will talk about how someone had to make it in the central, how we were that team, and how its a forgone conclusion that we will get annihilated in the playoffs since we don't really deserve to be there in the first place and you know what? If we do make the playoffs without a really strong finish to the season and end up around 85 wins those people will be right. This team and few of its players have shown the ability to consistently play anywhere near its ability and that doesn't equate to 90+ wins and success in the playoffs unless we really show people we mean business from here on out.

I'll gladly take winning this division, even if it takes70 wins. Of course I'm doubting the Sox ability to win this thing, but I won't complain as much as if they don't get to the palyoffs.

Bob

Jerko
08-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Well, the fact that Minnesota's remaining schedule is so easy kind of makes me mad thinking about when they were gettin their butts kicked by the Yanks and Red Sox while we we were losing to Detroit and Cleveland in April and May and every time I came on here complaining about that all I heard was "it's early, it's early". Well, now they're even with the Sox and they get the easy teams and the SOX have NY and Boston to deal with. It's not early now, is it? KC is ahead of us because of their division record compared to ours and their road record compared to ours. Why can we beat them, but not the teams THEY beat? Cause our narrow minded team is only focused on who they perceive to be good teams and the Cubs. I'm kind of glad we have a lot of tough teams left, maybe these guys will play like they have a pair. But I doubt it. Pretty sad when the only time you care about playing is when the Cubs or the All Star game is in town. Brutal. Let's get some gamers on this team or at least players with pulses. THAT would even be an improvement. All this playoff rotation talk and who we get in the first round and this team is 2 games over .500?!? TWO GAMES OVER! WITH probably the Cy Young award winner on the roster! With 8 current or former All stars? To say this team is a bunch of underacheivers is an insult to underacheivers everywhere.

harwar
08-18-2003, 10:17 AM
I fully expect the Sox to come in 3rd behind the twins & royals.Teams that win championships don't go 1 & 6 on a road trip against bad teams in mid august.