PDA

View Full Version : Is this the absolute low point?


Viva Magglio
08-17-2003, 09:54 PM
I think it is. We don't have the heart to recover from this because our players don't give a crap.

duke of dorwood
08-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Even lower than before the All Star game because we finally reached first place, then this disgraceful performance against teams going thru the motions.

kittle42
08-17-2003, 09:58 PM
No way! *Next* Sunday will be the low point.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-17-2003, 10:11 PM
I agree with Kitty. This team hasn't reached the bottom yet. We're still in the race because the best the division can put against us are those wretches from Minnesota and Kansas City.

Just like every other Manuel team going back to 1998, our guys are spending the late-summer playing like zombies. The only difference this time around is that it hasn't costed us the division--yet.

When they fall 3-4 games under .500 and 8 games off the pace, that will be the low point. The season will be officially over and Manuel can save his job with a decent showing in September. Those games are meaningless, even though Manuel thinks games played in April and May are the meaningless ones.

:ohno
"The joke is on us, isn't it?"

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Nothing was lower than being 8.5 games out and not even thinking about having a shot at the playoffs

joecrede
08-17-2003, 10:27 PM
This trip hurt, but it's not a killer. Three games out with 22 of the final 39 at home says the division is still there. A 15-5 run would do wonders and I think this team has one of those in them.

FJA
08-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
This trip hurt, but it's not a killer. Three games out with 22 of the final 39 at home says the division is still there. A 15-5 run would do wonders and I think this team has one of those in them.

Agreed. If this is the low point, that means it's only up from here. As much as this road trip sucked, I can deal with this as our "low point." This team needs to win at home, and badly, if for no other reason than to get something going again. If we lose at home this week like we lost on the road last week, I think it's all downhill from there. So, I will reserve judgement until then.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Agreed. If this is the low point, that means it's only up from here. As much as this road trip sucked, I can deal with this as our "low point." This team needs to win at home, and badly, if for no other reason than to get something going again. If we lose at home this week like we lost on the road last week, I think it's all downhill from there. So, I will reserve judgement until then.

we need to go 4-3 at worst on the homestand and realisitcally 5-2 or wipe out the road trip with a 6-1 going into the yankee series

FJA
08-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
we need to go 4-3 at worst on the homestand and realisitcally 5-2 or wipe out the road trip with a 6-1 going into the yankee series

I don't think we'll blow up at home this week, so barring complete disaster, I think the next road trip is going to tell us what this team is really made of for the stretch run of September.

After an offday ...

At Yankee Stadium: You have to beat the best to be the best (I hate cliches, but it fits here), and you need to win a damn non-division series on the road.

At Comerica Park: You have to beat the Tigers to be the best. After the abomination that was the last series in Detroit, anything short of a sweep should be a disappointment.

cheeses_h_rice
08-17-2003, 11:03 PM
This is one of but many low points during the 2003 season. I had given these schmucks up for dead 6-7 weeks ago, but they somehow got their act together and made a decent run of it.

But until they prove they can beat mediocre teams on the road on a regular basis, I can't fully endorse their playoff hopes. A team that's barely a few games above .500 really doesn't deserve to make the postseason, IMO.

I had in my .sig earlier in the year (and last year): "champion underachievers," and I still think this sticks. Given the talent this ballclub has, it's sickening to look at what their record is.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2003, 11:56 PM
No...the low point comes after the Sox play New York and Boston and are under .500. (With all this "talent.")

Lip

Shoeless Joe
08-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Since we're not facing a horrible team or going out west you can rest assure that the Sox will get one sweep this week.

white sox bill
08-18-2003, 08:42 AM
No, the Koch debacle in the bottom of 9th vs D Rays, then getting swept by the Tigers. That 10 day period was the low point. But then, this losing streak isn't over yet
Bill

soxtalker
08-18-2003, 08:56 AM
I hope that I'm wrong, but I suspect that we will fall lower. I think that it was the Cubs series that pulled us out of the funk earlier in the year. We fans and the team always seem to get up for those games, and the fact that the Cubs were doing pretty well at the time helped. Problem right now is that I don't see the same sort of motivation coming along.

THE_HOOTER
08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
No...the low point comes after the Sox play New York and Boston and are under .500. (With all this "talent.")

Lip


You still feel this way Lip?