PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day - August 17, 2003


RKMeibalane
08-17-2003, 11:16 AM
When informed that Thomas said the "free swinger" was here to stay, Manuel shrugged it off.

"That's OK," Manuel said. "Regardless of what he is, we need production. That's the bottom line."

Now he says Frank's approach is okay? Which is it Jerry? Are you happy or unhappy with Frank's thought process at the plate? Good grief! This man needs to be fired. The Sox won't be winning anything as long as he's around. That's why he needs to be fired.

Did I mention that Manuel needs to be fired?

TornLabrum
08-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
When informed that Thomas said the "free swinger" was here to stay, Manuel shrugged it off.

"That's OK," Manuel said. "Regardless of what he is, we need production. That's the bottom line."

Now he says Frank's approach is okay? Which is it Jerry? Are you happy or unhappy with Frank's thought process at the plate? Good grief! This man needs to be fired. The Sox won't be winning anything as long as he's around. That's why he needs to be fired.

Did I mention that Manuel needs to be fired?

More important than that is that Frank, who has really played the "good soldier" ever since Manuel decided to make him a permanent DH years ago (see this week's "Fallen Arches" column), has openly defied what Manuel has said to the media that he wants from Thomas.

What you've just seen is Thomas saying to Manuel, "Go **** yourself," and Manuel's response is, "Okay."

Of course Manuel could bench Thomas through Sept. 29 if he'd like. This should really be interesting, folks!

Looks like with the "stretch drive" (as if you thought there would ever be one) about to begin, there is open dissension in the clubhouse regarding the manager.

voodoochile
08-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
More important than that is that Frank, who has really played the "good soldier" ever since Manuel decided to make him a permanent DH years ago (see this week's "Fallen Arches" column), has openly defied what Manuel has said to the media that he wants from Thomas.

What you've just seen is Thomas saying to Manuel, "Go **** yourself," and Manuel's response is, "Okay."

Of course Manuel could bench Thomas through Sept. 29 if he's like. This should really be interesting, folks!

Looks like with the "stretch drive" (as if you thought there would ever be one) about to begin, there is open dissension in the clubhouse regarding the manager.

I agree. I don't think the team thinks very much of Manuel at present. I think they just tolerate him and hope he doesn't screw up the team too much.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2003, 01:37 PM
It looks like Rick White and Jose Valentin weren't so wrong now eh?

Lip

adsit
08-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It looks like Rick White and Jose Valentin weren't so wrong now eh?

Lip

I still think Rick White was a bad choice for "team spokesman," not that I disagreed with anything he said, just didn't think he had earned much credibility for that role.

I get the feeling this team's been tearing itself apart under Manuel's gaze for a long time now. Thomas, White and Valentin are the tip of the 'berg. Any clubhouse dissension that goes public is a bright red warning light. Now it seems like the whole instrument panel's starting to freak out.