PDA

View Full Version : Another Jeremy Reed update

SoxxoS
08-17-2003, 11:23 AM
This guy is incredible.

Yesterday-

4 for 4 with a triple and a stolen base.

His average right now is....415

80 hits in 193 at bats. 21 walks, 16 K's. OPS 1.081.

The question is, is starting opening day next year, and if so...where and who is going elsewhere?

DrCrawdad
08-17-2003, 11:35 AM
I looked at the box score. Ron Schu first round pick Jason Dellaero is playing with the AA affiliate of the Reds the CHATTANOOGA LOOKOUTS.

Dellaero is batting .229 and he hasn't pitched at all for the Lookouts. From what I had read Dellaero was not enthused to pitch since he feels he has a future as a MLB shortstop.

At almost 27 yrs old and playing AA ball, the window of opportunity is probably closed.

RKMeibalane
08-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
This guy is incredible.

Yesterday-

The question is, is starting opening day next year, and if so...where and who is going elsewhere?

I don't know if Reed will be ready for the Majors by next spring. To answer your question, this is what I would do make room for him:

1. Trade Paul Konerko.
2. Move either Carl Everett or Carlos Lee to DH.
3. Reed replaces either player in the outfield.
4. Frank Thomas moves to first base.

If Frank leaves...

1. Move Lee or Everett to DH.
2. Reed now has a spot in the OF.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 12:02 PM
This guy is incredible.

Yesterday-

This is good because we can afford to let everett get away, but still keep roberto alomar and make a run at keeping fatolo.

One question: Does anyone think Cotts and Enemencio Pacheco would be major league ready by next year?

SoxxoS
08-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't know if Reed will be ready for the Majors by next spring. To answer your question, this is what I would do make room for him:

1. Trade Paul Konerko.

If Frank leaves...

What can we get for Konerko? Is he tradeable with that contract? I guess if he continues to hit, but how many teams are in the market for a middle of the road, one half season, slow 1B that makes top ten 1B money?

SoxxoS
08-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
This is good because we can afford to let everett get away, but still keep roberto alomar and make a run at keeping fatolo.

One question: Does anyone think Cotts and Enemencio Pacheco would be major league ready by next year?

I think Reed can play CF, but the question is can he do it well? I think Rowand also deserves a shot.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 12:06 PM
I think Reed can play CF, but the question is can he do it well? I think Rowand also deserves a shot.

I think rowand does too, but where does Willie Harris fit in?

RKMeibalane
08-17-2003, 12:09 PM

Harris must prove that he can hit Major League pitching. His problem right now is that he is in the mode of being a "AAAA" player. In other words, he's probably too good to play in the Minors, but not yet good enough to play a more prominent role on a big league team. Until he shows that he is capable of more than the occasional slap hit, he should be resitricted to use as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.

If he works hard during the off-season and shows improvement, then I think he also deserves a shot at the starting CF job.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Harris must prove that he can hit Major League pitching. His problem right now is that he is in the mode of being a "AAAA" player. In other words, he's probably too good to play in the Minors, but not yet good enough to play a more prominent role on a big league team. Until he shows that he is capable of more than the occasional slap hit, he should be resitricted to use as a pinch-runner or defensive replacement.

If he works hard during the off-season and shows improvement, then I think he also deserves a shot at the starting CF job.

So now we might have 3-5 (Harris, Rowand, Reed, Borchard, Everett) people who can legitamitely play starting CF next year. I think we need to send a few of them away to another team for a SS or if crede doesnt improve, a 3B

SoxxoS
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
So now we might have 3-5 (Harris, Rowand, Reed, Borchard, Everett) people who can legitamitely play starting CF next year. I think we need to send a few of them away to another team for a SS or if crede doesnt improve, a 3B

Crede isn't going anywhere, MRKARNO. A SS, maybe, but Crede isn't getting traded.

voodoochile
08-17-2003, 12:33 PM

Legitimately play CF? Some of them can provide offense enough to make up for their defense and some of them can play defense with no offense, but there aren't any proven all around CF prospects in that list.

SoxxoS
08-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Legitimately play CF? Some of them can provide offense enough to make up for their defense and some of them can play defense with no offense, but there aren't any proven all around CF prospects in that list.

Rowand is probably the best all around CF on that list.

voodoochile
08-17-2003, 12:38 PM

How sad is that... and I still don't think he can be an everyday hitter. I don't think he can handle hitting off of RHP even close enough to play all the time, but that is JMO...

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Well we need to get rid of all but 2 or 3 unless you love constant tinkering

voodoochile
08-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Well we need to get rid of all but 2 or 3 unless you love constant tinkering

:firejerry

That solves the tinkering problem also...

Daver
08-17-2003, 01:12 PM

I would say no he isn't.

Borchard is the best CFer of all of them.

Tragg
08-17-2003, 02:14 PM

1. Trade Paul Konerko.

If Frank leaves...

How about moving ex third baseman Lee to 1B or letting him try? Konerko won't bring much in trade.
We need to find players who can get on base - our bad hitters swing for the fences and don't walk (I guess that's why they are bad hitters)

soxtalker
08-17-2003, 02:21 PM

I agree with SoxxoS that they are unlikely to give up on Crede at this point. But the need for a SS is looming. Who is likely to be available at SS?

I'd guess that there won't be much of an effort to resign Everett, except for an offer of arbitration to assure a compensation draft pick.

SoxFan76
08-17-2003, 02:57 PM
willie harris is a "AAAA" player, i like that. its so true. hes got the talent, but hes got to put it all together. hes a great pinch runner too. i dont know if that is worth taking up a roster spot, but regardless, hes got some insane speed.

i like rowand. i dont know why everyone rips on him. he only plays like once a week, and still gets his hits in. and hes hitting between 270 and 280 i think. too lazy to check. but i do not like borchard. everytime i look at his average in AAA, hes batting like 220. then they always bring him to the majors where he bats 220. i dont see the big deal with this guy.

some trades need to be made to get a shortstop. but dont get rid of lee, crede, konerko, or frank. i still have faith in frank. they just need a new manager to play him at first once in awhile. have him and paulie switch off. dont play him there for a month, then never play him at 1st again. thats so stupid. if they can, keep robbie. he is the reason this team went on a tear after the all star break. it wouldnt break my heart if everett didnt come back next year, but alomar is a must.

and by the way, i like jamie burke. if olivo wont hit the ball, we might have to sacrifice that arm for a guy who can knock in some runs.

jeremyb1
08-17-2003, 03:41 PM
i'm in favor of starting reed next season. he'll force us to do so if he flashes the skills he's shown this season in spring training next season. as far as who goes to make room, i'm guessing the most likely option is that we'll see him in center. it seems highly unlikely we'll see everett return.

if everett somehow does come back or we want to save even more money and given rowand a shot in center, i suppose i'd trade paully before carlos since he makes more money and has a longer deal. however, i think that carlos is going to be pretty overrated this season if he hits .280 30 100. if we are having trouble moving paully's contract and can fetch some good players in return for carlos i'd move carlos instead.

MisterB
08-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
i like rowand. i dont know why everyone rips on him. he only plays like once a week, and still gets his hits in. and hes hitting between 270 and 280 i think. too lazy to check. but i do not like borchard. everytime i look at his average in AAA, hes batting like 220. then they always bring him to the majors where he bats 220. i dont see the big deal with this guy.

*snip*

and by the way, i like jamie burke. if olivo wont hit the ball, we might have to sacrifice that arm for a guy who can knock in some runs.

Borchard had wrist tendonitis for most of the season, so most of his hitting stats are a reflection of that. He had almost no power, but since it has cleared up the power has returned. The one stat that the tendonitis shouldn't have affected is walks, which he has shown little progress in which is troubling.

I think we have seen what it is that Rowand is best suited for: the 4th outfielder slot where he gets like a start a week and some late-inning work inbetween. This arrangement has maximized his offense thus far and, if last season is any indication, his offense will likely decrease if used more regularly than this.

As for Olivo, his defensive upside is enough to keep him in the lineup. The catcher position seems to be the last position where offense is still considered gravy if the guy's defense is good. Jamie Burke is 31 and really has no future in the majors other than as 4th on some team's depth chart.

soxtalker
08-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
As for Olivo, his defensive upside is enough to keep him in the lineup. The catcher position seems to be the last position where offense is still considered gravy if the guy's defense is good. Jamie Burke is 31 and really has no future in the majors other than as 4th on some team's depth chart.

Burke has been a pleasant surprise, though he really hasn't played in enough games with the Sox (majors) to see what his real potential is. As others have said on this board, Sandy Alomar can't be expected to catch every day or probably even most days. I'm wondering if they don't try to move him over into a coaching role in the future. If Burke is for real, he could then move into the back-up catcher's role. Of course, this could all be changed by trades.

Randar68
08-17-2003, 10:04 PM

Rowand never hit .300 in AA in half a season. Reed is a better athlete, pure an simple. Rowand's days as lackee are numbered. Thank the lord.

kermittheefrog
08-17-2003, 10:12 PM
The Sox do have some outfield depth. We need to identify who is most overvalued by other teams and deal him for help somewhere else. Pitching if Colon is gone or a middle infielder are the best options.

gosox41
08-18-2003, 08:47 AM
What can we get for Konerko? Is he tradeable with that contract? I guess if he continues to hit, but how many teams are in the market for a middle of the road, one half season, slow 1B that makes top ten 1B money?

I'm betting were stuck with Konerko fur the duration of his contract.

Bob

LuvSox
08-18-2003, 09:00 AM
She got the goldmine, he got the shaft

Hangar18
08-18-2003, 10:32 AM
This guy is incredible.

Yesterday-

You know, after watching a TERRIBLE WEEK go by, A Week that More than Likely has cost us the Division and Playoffs this Year, This is really Good News. Weve needed a CF for quite some time. Unfortuneately, as this year winds down, Weve Wasted a Cy Young performer (Phil Cuzzi may have cost him this also btw)
and a chance to take a Winnable Division. This will be the 3rd Yr in a Row that the DIVISION was WON by a Team with "lesser" talent, but they HUSTLED, Played their Hearts out, and Merely EXECUTED. Oh, and all three yrs, we didnt HIT enough either.

chosk8
08-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Baseball America snippet...

Jeremy Reed is absolutely tearing it up this season. He played very well at high Class A and has been even better at Double-A. .400? That's just ridiculous. How would you rate him as a prospect? What is his potential? He seems to be a five-tool player, with more power coming as his doubles might indicate. Is he currently the No. 1 prospect in the White Sox organization?

What's ridiculous is that the scouting director who drafted Reed and several other top White Sox prospects, Doug Laumann, has been reassigned by the club. But I digress. Reed is Chicago's top prospect over pitchers such as lefty Neal Cotts and righty Kris Honel. In his first full season since the White Sox took him in 2002's second round out of Long Beach State, Reed has hit .364/.444/.528 in 115 games between the two levels. He also has an unbelievable 33-61 strikeout-walk ratio and 40 steals in 56 attempts.

I wouldn't label him a five-tool player. He's an advanced hitter but I don't see him as a big power guy. He has 30 doubles and 11 homers, and most scouts would project him as a 15-homer hitter, maybe 20. Reed does squeeze every ounce out of his ability, and those guys do tend to overachieve. He's a plus runner but not a blazer, yet he's a stolen-base threat. He's not a pure center fielder, but makes his share of plays when he's stationed there.

With Carl Everett approaching free agency, Reed could break camp next year as Chicago's leadoff man and center fielder. I'd certainly give him that opportunity.

Hangar18
08-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
Baseball America snippet...

Jeremy Reed is absolutely tearing it up this season. He played very well at high Class A and has been even better at Double-A. .400? That's just ridiculous. How would you rate him as a prospect? What is his potential? He seems to be a five-tool player, with more power coming as his doubles might indicate. Is he currently the No. 1 prospect in the White Sox organization?

What's ridiculous is that the scouting director who drafted Reed and several other top White Sox prospects, Doug Laumann, has been reassigned by the club.

I wouldn't label him a five-tool player. He's an advanced hitter but I don't see him as a big power guy. He has 30 doubles and 11 homers, and most scouts would project him as a 15-homer hitter, maybe 20. Reed does squeeze every ounce out of his ability, and those guys do tend to overachieve. He's a plus runner but not a blazer, yet he's a stolen-base threat. He's not a pure center fielder, but makes his share of plays when he's stationed there.

Where did Laumann go? Everett will be A cub next yr btw.
Remember when I said that Lofton would be a Cub ??

hold2dibber
08-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Where did Laumann go? Everett will be A cub next yr btw.
Remember when I said that Lofton would be a Cub ??

I'd be shocked to see Everett in the NL. I see DH in his future.

CHISOXFAN13
08-18-2003, 03:15 PM
The Cubs don't need a below average outfielder. They are loaded with outfielders.

voodoochile
08-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The Cubs don't need a below average outfielder. They are loaded with outfielders.

Isn't Aloe's contract up after this year? I don't see them re-signing him. Everett would be a fine fit for them in LF.