PDA

View Full Version : We're handing this division to the Twins

lowesox
08-16-2003, 09:12 PM
They've been way worse they we were all season, but if we don't get our heads out of our asses right now - starting tomorrow, it's going to be all over.

I'm so disapointed by how the sox have reacted to getting back in the race. Yes, it's the players fault - but I think we've all seen the level of intensity plumet since the KC series.

Time is running out. Because I know that once the Twins get into first place, they (unlike us) aren't going to turn back.

adsit
08-17-2003, 12:57 PM
If we don't win this division, whoever does should buy the White Sox a big Christmas present. If we wanted it we could take it, I feel. There's a lot of inconsistencies on all three teams. Last week, while we started our road trip suck fest, KC looked absolutely jumbo playing the YankMees and Cleveland clowned away on the Twins. None of that was quite what we expected. You'd think KC would be so jaked after winning huge against NY they'd slaughter the Twins on momentum alone but can't do it.

While I'm running out of excuses for the Sox' poor play, I don't see anyone running away with this division, so I won't quite concede it yet. For all the hype about the Twinkie schedule, I'm not sure I'd want to face all those second-tier teams playing out the string with nothing to lose. We know how the Sox turn it on for the bottom feeders. If we can't stay within three of the top by the end of August, we're done.

Tragg
08-17-2003, 01:09 PM
If we don't win the division this year, as weak as it is at the top, it will probably be a long, long next 5 years, barring some major prestidigitation from Kenny Williams. The team is getting older, we still have problems at 2b, SS, CF. The bullpen is bad, the starting pitching will be okay, but not great, with Colon gone. And if Loiza was a one year wonder (which I don't think he is), it will be bad. And the minors pipeline doesn't appear to be overly stocked with player ready for MLB.
I simply don't see this group of players ever being better, as a group, than they are now. Improvements from Olivo, Crede and Garland will be offset by further aging of the rest.