PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Thread - Sox vs. Rangers - August 16, 2003

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Frank not in the lineup tonight. Don't have rest of lineup yet.

SluggersAway
08-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Alomar, R, 2B
Lee, LF
Everett, CF
Ordonez, RF
Daubach, DH
Konerko, 1B
Valentin, SS
Crede, 3B
Alomar, S, C

WHarris13
08-16-2003, 08:12 PM
Robbie singles.
Lee pops out.
Everett grounds inton DP.

Young singles.

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 08:28 PM
This is going to be worse than last night.

Chisox353014
08-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Nice start, Bartolo. :(: :angry: :whiner:

balboner
08-16-2003, 08:32 PM
On a team w/no intensity from top to bottom, Colon is a horrible fit on the Sox. There have been numerous games this year when he went out to the mound looking like he could care less, and got shelled. I really hope we don't resign him this off-season. We have alot more holes than just a starting pitcher.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-16-2003, 08:41 PM
i seriously think colon is throwing games just because he hates jerry manuel so much...sigh

balboner
08-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Will somone please tell me how Crede has an 8-game hitting streak? It frustrates me to high hell when he takes that horrible prevent swing w/2 strikes. Have some guts Joe!

LASOXFAN
08-16-2003, 08:43 PM
When this team tanks they REALLY tank. It's hard to watch. This is going to be another blow out. Put it on the board.

balboner
08-16-2003, 08:45 PM
How can anyone defend Jerry Manuel? This team underachieves so much, and has been doing so since the last regular season game of the 2000 season.

LASOXFAN
08-16-2003, 08:46 PM
how valentin didn't screw up the DP I'll never know

LASOXFAN
08-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by balboner
How can anyone defend Jerry Manuel? This team underachieves so much, and has been doing so since the last regular season game of the 2000 season.
I don't blame his managerial moves as much as I blame his inability to fire up these guys. Hawk and DJ were subtely critcial of JM last night as they talked about other managers' ability to get in their players' faces.

LASOXFAN
08-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Wow, the Sox just scored on a guy with an ERA of 6.83

inta
08-16-2003, 08:59 PM
this team is going to give me a heart attack if they keep letting up runs then scoring a bunch like they have been this past week.

Brian26
08-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I don't blame his managerial moves as much as I blame his inability to fire up these guys. Hawk and DJ were subtely critcial of JM last night as they talked about other managers' ability to get in their players' faces.

That's the MOST critical I've heard Hawk all year of our manager. I haven't had a chance to read the thread from last night's game, but Hawk made it very apparent that he had a problem with Loaiza pitching to Palmeiro not once, but twice, with first base open and runners in scoring position. Hawk's exact quote (only AFTER Palmeiro drove those runs in), "I don't understand that at all."

JJAustin69
08-16-2003, 09:07 PM
No DP Konerko!

inta
08-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I don't blame his managerial moves as much as I blame his inability to fire up these guys.

EXACTLY!
truer words were never spoken my friend.

JJAustin69
08-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Bases loaded no outs and of course, a pop up and a ground out to pitcher. Just great.

Brian26
08-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Big walk by Crede. Nice Eye.

Brian26
08-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Just read the official game thread from last night. I'm stunned that nobody mentioned that Palmeiro was pitched to twice with first base open.

Nice job Sandy, once again. He's been solid for us this year.
Sox with the lead.

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Now if Bartolo will be Bartolo and not Fartolo, we'll be fine.

balboner
08-16-2003, 09:17 PM
It's nice to see that two of our supposed leaders, Valentin and Konerko, are horrible w/RISP this year. They've been horrible lately in hitting situations.

voodoochile
08-16-2003, 09:26 PM
What is Manuel doing? Why is Colon still pitching? I mean he gives up 7 runs in 2.1 innings while getting shelled, so you leave him in to give up even more? ***? WAKE UP, JERRY! Time to go get a long reliever. Colon doesn't have it. Not even close.

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Now if Bartolo will be Bartolo and not Fartolo, we'll be fine.

1) Colon has no curveball, he's getting squeezed, and he has to throw it down the middle and getting hammered as a result.

2) Colon is tanking the game.

What's your choice?

balboner
08-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Way to give us a chance Bart, you fat lazy piece of crap! Go take the money from the Yankees, and become another Jeff Weaver.

RKMeibalane
08-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What is Manuel doing? Why is Colon still pitching? I mean he gives up 7 runs in 2.1 innings while getting shelled, so you leave him in to give up even more? ***? WAKE UP, JERRY! Time to go get a long reliever. Colon doesn't have it. Not even close.

VC,

I thought you would interested to know that I predicted Frank's benching this evening. Manuel is such a weasel. He has made a career out of messing with Frank's mind? As a fellow Frank fan, what do you think the chances are that Thomas leaves if JM is still around for next season?

voodoochile
08-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
VC,

I thought you would interested to know that I predicted Frank's benching this evening. Manuel is such a weasel. He has made a career out of messing with Frank's mind? As a fellow Frank fan, what do you think the chances are that Thomas leaves if JM is still around for next season?

I saw your prediction. I think Frank will have to make a decision before the Sox do, so it won't be based on Jerry being here or not. I also think Frank is very loyal (mis-guidely so, IMO) and wants to finish his career in Chicago.

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 09:39 PM
I saw your prediction. I think Frank will have to make a decision before the Sox do, so it won't be based on Jerry being here or not. I also think Frank is very loyal (mis-guidely so, IMO) and wants to finish his career in Chicago.

Because Reinsdorf still has a loyalty to Frank, they'll get rid of JM if Frank makes that a condition to come back.

RKMeibalane
08-16-2003, 09:39 PM

IIRC correctly, isn't the option that the Sox have worth more money than Frank's option? It will be interesting to see what happens, especially if this season doesn't end on a high note. As I said earlier today, Jerry Manuel will go down in history as the only man who get consistently get Frank Thomas out. What a damn shame.

flo-B-flo
08-16-2003, 09:42 PM
same script as last night. theres still time to come back, or for tex to get 20.

flo-B-flo
08-16-2003, 09:49 PM
all these lefties swingin from the heels. Colon has nothing, so jerry clueless calls on danny wrong. Why have lefty relievers, and when will a SOX pitcher get these guys off the damn plate?

Lip Man 1
08-16-2003, 09:49 PM
By the way if Colon winds up in New York with the Yankees next season he'll win 20. Same as David Wells did (as soon as he left the Sox he pitched great...)

Players DO NOT want to play for the Sox and it shows. Players DO want to play for the Yankees, Braves, Mariners, Red Sox and it shows.

and we're going to regret blowing chances to gain ground on the Royals the last two weeks of the season.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-16-2003, 09:59 PM
What does everyone see in this picture?

http://www.1ifbycards.com/images/autographed_baseball_plaques/thomas_fielding.jpg

It needs to start happening, NOW!

joecrede
08-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Players DO NOT want to play for the Sox and it shows. Players DO want to play for the Yankees, Braves, Mariners, Red Sox and it shows.

This is laughable.

RKMeibalane
08-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
This is laughable.

Unfortunately, it's also the truth. I wonder whose fault it is...

:reinsy

"Why do you always look at me when something like this happens?"

JRIG
08-16-2003, 10:09 PM
IIRC correctly, isn't the option that the Sox have worth more money than Frank's option? It will be interesting to see what happens, especially if this season doesn't end on a high note. As I said earlier today, Jerry Manuel will go down in history as the only man who get consistently get Frank Thomas out. What a damn shame.

Sox option is around $7 million. Frank's option is $5 million.

joecrede
08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately, it's also the truth. I wonder whose fault it is...

It's not true at all.

SoxEd
08-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Top of the 7th Konerko double - RBI.
Now it's Tx 12-7.

Think we'll make another late rally to win it, or come up frustratingly short again?

PS Who gave all the players a dose of Inconsistancy Juice in their morning coffees before this road trip?

DrCrawdad
08-16-2003, 10:34 PM
What do you want to bet that Wright (or whomever else pitches the next inning) gives up 2 runs?

SoxEd
08-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What do you want to bet that Wright (or whomever else pitches the next inning) gives up 2 runs?

Texas don't need to worry about it - as long as their closer doesn't give up four in the 9th they can go back to counting their tax-free $.

BTW, does anyone know if the 'no tax' jolly apply to everyone on the organisation (janitors upwards) or just the millionaires on the field (and maybe the CEO)?

Lip Man 1
08-16-2003, 10:57 PM
[B]Are we having fun yet?[/ B]

and hey MORE GOOD NEWS! Neil Cotts goes tomorrow! (Now does anybody want to start arguing about how a fifth starter isn't important?)

Finally I wonder if Dave Wills won't be accepting phone calls again tonight?

Lip

WinningUgly!
08-16-2003, 11:05 PM
[B]Are we having fun yet?[/ B]

and hey MORE GOOD NEWS! Neil Cotts goes tomorrow! (Now does anybody want to start arguing about how a fifth starter isn't important?)

Finally I wonder if Dave Wills won't be accepting phone calls again tonight?

Lip

Tell me Lip, is it possible for Cotts to look any worse than Colon tonight? How about Loaiza last night? This team has bigger problems than the god damned 5th starter.

JJAustin69
08-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
Texas don't need to worry about it - as long as their closer doesn't give up four in the 9th they can go back to counting their tax-free $.

BTW, does anyone know if the 'no tax' jolly apply to everyone on the organisation (janitors upwards) or just the millionaires on the field (and maybe the CEO)? There is no income tax in Texas...for anybody. :One good thing about living here.

JJAustin69
08-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Back to baseball, and I don't ever remember a two game deficit in the standings looking so huge. We are 2 back but it might as well be 20 the way these slugs are playing.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Winning:

The point is if we had a 5th starter worth a damn, perhaps we don't have a five game losing streak after tomorrow.

I don't think Loazia is going to pitch this badly again next time or Colon...but one thing we can ALWAYS count on is a bad performance by whoever is holding up the rear of the rotation.

Lip

voodoochile
08-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Winning:

The point is if we had a 5th starter worth a damn, perhaps we don't have a five game losing streak after tomorrow.

Lip

And perhaps we won't anyway, or are you turning psychic on us Lip?

:cleo
"I see Lip taking my job. Now if only he could learn to type in a Jamaican accent, he would be guaranteed lots and lots of money, mon..."

WinningUgly!
08-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Winning:

Lip

Yeah, but since...

...it wouldn't matter.

Even if KW would have gone out & got "a 5th starter worth a damn" that pitcher wouldn't have worked out here, since we are not the Yankees, Braves, M's or BoSox.

Maybe this is why the organization is always so high on the "Can't Miss Kids". Going after high priced, veteran pitchers is just a waste of the team's time & money, since they are obviously not interested in playing for the Sox.

I'm too lazy & pissed off to put the teal in where it is needed....you guys can figure it out.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2003, 11:59 PM
The question was asked why don't these guys perform for the Sox.

One reason is because maybe they DON'T want to play here considering all the crap that has taken place with this organization over the past ten years.

It's a possibility Winning... or how do you account for David Wells win totals before, during and after his time with the Sox.

I'm sorry you're pissed off...get used to it. The hot streak is over the real Sox from the past two years are back (unfortunately.) And if you are pissed now you better not watch what happens tomorrow night then.

Lip

WinningUgly!
08-17-2003, 12:18 AM

It's a possibility Winning... or how do you account for David Wells win totals before, during and after his time with the Sox.

Health? He only pitched in 16 games for the Sox. Wells pitched very well as a fat man for years. His back finally gave out on him in 2001, I seriously doubt that him playing for the Sox had anything at all to do with it. Weight problems, back problems & age are not a good combination. I remember Wells, in 2001 staying in games that he was losing big, just to eat innings & save the bullpen. He was happy pitching here, read his book.

Brian26
08-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Same old story with the Lipmeister. It's the end of the world.

Lip, what team DOES have a 5th starter that can go out every game and pitch solid? The Yankees don't even have that at this point. It's all a moot point if our #1 and #2 starters get lit up like a ****ing xmas tree in the first two games of the series. The Rangers were ripping every pitch into the gap. How many balls did Mags alone catch on the warning track tonight? I don't know if Arlington is a launching pad or if these guys are just swinging from the heels on every pitch, but I'll tell you one ****ing thing:

Someone should have been knocked off the plate and down on their ass after the second inning.

When guys are sitting on fastballs while they lean out over the plate, they should be knocked on their ass...especially when it's tea-cup time with the umps for the past two games.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Brian:

I can't argue with your logic my only point was (and is) if you're going to try to win and if you're in a tough race which as you know, could be decided by one or two games, then you CAN'T afford to be giving up games every fifth or sixth day because you don't have anybody close to keeping you in games at the end of the rotation.

Like it or not the Sox COULD have gotten someone at the trade deadline or over the off season if they wished to. It wouldn't take much to improve on what the Sox have now would it?

Many fans posted how good Jeff Suppan would have looked back in February. Kenny Rogers, who's 10-6 for the Twins , could have been had for a million dollar more then the Sox were willing to offer.

How is everyone going to feel if the Twins win the division and Rogers was a big reason for it? Say he wins 13-14 games, considering the troubles and injuries with their other starters that is huge! he could have been with the Sox...he isn't...we get the dreks.

It's was a small part of the problem in April. With every passing day that problem gets bigger and bigger.

If Cotts gets hammered tonight (again) the problem continues to get larger.

I'm curious why no rumors in the media about Williams working the phones trying to make a waiver deal? Has he given up? Is he content with Cotts and Adkins for the remaining four or five 5th starter spots? (Remember Manager Gandhi decreed the Sox would not go to a four man rotation.)

I realize again, it's a small issue with all the troubles this team has but it's still an issue, one that needs to be solved. And one that I'd argue can STILL be solved even at this late date.

Lip