PDA

View Full Version : Something Good for a Laugh

TornLabrum
08-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Just read on one of the AOL message boards:

You want a team with mediocre power that is suceeding? Try the Royals. They are on a pace to hit much fewer HR's than last year, yet have a shot at winning their division with a team of mostly unknown players.

You want a team with mediocre power that is suceeding? Try the Royals. They are on a pace to hit much fewer HR's than last year, yet have a shot at winning their division with a team of mostly unknown players.
I am not picking the Royals to go to the playoffs and dominate other teams, but they are an interesting team that really doesn't seem to have the HR power many other contending teams have. They do have a shot at their division beating out a White Sox team that is built on high priced free agents and some really good power hitters.

So who are those high priced free agents we're built on? Did I miss something? Did I just wake up from a 20-year nap?

RedPinStripes
08-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Just read on one of the AOL message boards:

So who are those high priced free agents we're built on? Did I miss something? Did I just wake up from a 20-year nap?

Those would be the high priced free agents that Jr's not paying for. Kind of like the way he found other people to pay for everything else in his time. Thatnx to Mayor Daley, state of Illinios, taxpayers, and US Cellular, we have a park that still isnt complete 13 years later. But Jerry didnt pay a dime ! Am i the only one who dont think this park will have another name change very soon? These Cell phone comapnies shut down or sell every few years. Where's "cellular1 and primco? " I needed to rant since we were talking about money we werent spending.

TornLabrum
08-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Those would be the high priced free agents that Jr's not paying for. Kind of like the way he found other people to pay for everything else in his time. Thatnx to Mayor Daley, state of Illinios, taxpayers, and US Cellular, we have a park that still isnt complete 13 years later. But Jerry didnt pay a dime ! Am i the only one who dont think this park will have another name change very soon? These Cell phone comapnies shut down or sell every few years. Where's "cellular1 and primco? " I needed to rant since we were talking about money we werent spending.

But they're not free agents until after this year. They are, if anything pre-free agents, or as Bill Veeck called them, "rent-a-players." The big difference is that we're paying minimum salary for them while their former teams are playing our rent for us.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
But they're not free agents until after this year. They are, if anything pre-free agents, or as Bill Veeck called them, "rent-a-players." The big difference is that we're paying minimum salary for them while their former teams are playing our rent for us.

It's not a bad idea at all to have other teams pay for this year. The problem is, they'll be gone next year. I still say this is a rebuilding process in diguise. KW's looking at the draft picks he'll get for Alomar, Everet, Colon. The only one i really think they need to keep is Robby. But if they go after a few F/A's over the winter, it might be a "reloading process. " Either way this team wont completly suck next year.

kittle42
08-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Either way this team wont completly suck next year.

But they completely suck right now.

FanOf14
08-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Am i the only one who dont think this park will have another name change very soon? These Cell phone comapnies shut down or sell every few years. Where's "cellular1 and primco? " I needed to rant since we were talking about money we werent spending.

US Cellular has been around for 20+ years, but I understand where you are coming from. If US Cellular goes under it would be interesting to find out what causes it.

MRKARNO
08-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
US Cellular has been around for 20+ years, but I understand where you are coming from. If US Cellular goes under it would be interesting to find out what causes it.

If it did it would probably be from Cubs fans boycotting it because of their sponsorship of sox park

RedPinStripes
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

20+ years? What was their name before? i never heard of them till about 2-3 years ago.

adsit
08-17-2003, 01:26 PM
20+ years? What was their name before? i never heard of them till about 2-3 years ago.

Guess that makes their purchase of Comiskey naming rights a masterstroke. I'd never heard of them before then either.

It's always been US Cellular, according to their website (http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/a_main.html) , but that's news to me. That same source also makes the claim that they're a buyer, not a seller (though what would you expect from corporate propaganda), so looks like they'll be around. That strikes me as a good thing, because I don't want the Sox playing in a park with some merged-combination corporate name like VerizoCellStarT&T-Mobile Park. That sounds like a place for manufactured housing.

TornLabrum
08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by adsit
Guess that makes their purchase of Comiskey naming rights a masterstroke. I'd never heard of them before then either.

It's always been US Cellular, according to their website (http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/SilverStream/Pages/a_main.html) , but that's news to me. That same source also makes the claim that they're a buyer, not a seller (though what would you expect from corporate propaganda), so looks like they'll be around. That strikes me as a good thing, because I don't want the Sox playing in a park with some merged-combination corporate name like VerizoCellStarT&T-Mobile Park. That sounds like a place for manufactured housing.

U.S. Cellular is where Primeco disappeared to. They have been a buyer, and not all that long ago in the case of Primeco.

hose
08-17-2003, 05:50 PM
free agent

:sandy

TornLabrum
08-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by hose
free agent:

:eloaiza

:rwhite

:tgordon

:sandy

High priced free agents: None of the above.

FanOf14
08-17-2003, 09:44 PM

I interviewed with them about 5 years ago (co-op position while in college). From what they told me (and I remember), they were based here, but mostly served the coasts. Why they were based here and served the coasts only, I am not sure. There is more history stuff on their site. I think one of the reasons they started serving this area is due to buying out Primco. This is just what I was told while on the interview so I don't know how accurate the background information was that they told me (the 20+ years part was fairly accurate from what other engineers told me though).