PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Issues

voodoochile
08-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Hawk just said that the Sox will land in Texas at 5:00 AM local time after flying out of Anaheim tonight after the game. That is IF the game doesn't go extra innings, I suppose.

Why does MLB allow this to happen?

RKMeibalane
08-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hawk just said that the Sox will land in Texas at 5:00 AM local time after flying out of Anaheim tonight after the game. That is IF the game doesn't go extra innings, I suppose.

:reinsy

"The MLB didn't allow this to happen. You did! If you people would come to the park, I would be able to afford a faster plane, and the team would get to Texas sooner. So there!"

Daver
08-14-2003, 09:37 PM

For the most part they don't,in order for this schedule to happen the White Sox upper management had to agree to it before the schedule was released,with the OK from the players,the CBA has certain terms for travel days and the distance covered,as well as time zones,but I am to damn tired to look it up at the moment.

Brian26
08-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Hawk sometimes falls into the old "MLB hates the White Sox" conspiracy schtick. Fact is, if you look at the schedules of the other teams in the league, they all have to deal with this craziness at several points during the season. Seattle has a TERRIBLE schedule. Tampa Bay gets screwed too.

Fisk72
08-14-2003, 11:37 PM

Well, we all know the game won't be going into extra innings - we could've stopped after the 4th IMO. Don't worry, though. Tomorrow, all of our guys will be well rested, seeing that no one showed up tonight and put forth even 5% effort.

WhiteSox = Life
08-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Hawk sometimes falls into the old "MLB hates the White Sox" conspiracy schtick. Fact is, if you look at the schedules of the other teams in the league, they all have to deal with this craziness at several points during the season. Seattle has a TERRIBLE schedule. Tampa Bay gets screwed too.

I agree that at points all teams get screwed over traveling, but teams like Tampa Bay and Seattle get really gypped because they are on extreme sides of the country. Where they play is always going to be a disadvantage for them traveling (although good teams overcome it), but when teams come in, they're also at an advantage (which again, good teams overcome).

voodoochile
08-16-2003, 10:30 AM
***! How come Sunday's game is a night game also? Did we kill some ALW GM's pet rabbit?

I know that teams make their own scheduling decisions, but in the middle of a pennant race, this crap is screwed up. No team should have to play under these circumstances. I know that every team does it occasionally, but MLB needs to change the rules so that getaway days during the last two months of the season start no later than 5:00 local time with the exception of national broadcasts.

Hawk is right on this one. The Sox should screw with both of these clubs next year when they come to Chicago...

rmusacch
08-16-2003, 10:50 AM
***! How come Sunday's game is a night game also? Did we kill some ALW GM's pet rabbit?

I know that teams make their own scheduling decisions, but in the middle of a pennant race, this crap is screwed up. No team should have to play under these circumstances. I know that every team does it occasionally, but MLB needs to change the rules so that getaway days during the last two months of the season start no later than 5:00 local time with the exception of national broadcasts.

Hawk is right on this one. The Sox should screw with both of these clubs next year when they come to Chicago...

You ever been in the Dallas area in the middle of the summer? The Rangers play all home games at night during the summer.

FJA
08-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
You ever been in the Dallas area in the middle of the summer? The Rangers play all home games at night during the summer.

No excuse for the Sox, IMO. These are the kinds of things you can work around (JV lineups, etc.) AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BACK YOURSELF INTO A CORNER THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON.

MarkEdward
08-16-2003, 11:31 AM
So will Sunday night's game even be televised? I thought ESPN owned the rights to the Sunday night timeslot, meaning no other station could show baseball. I am probably wrong, but...

FJA
08-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
So will Sunday night's game even be televised? I thought ESPN owned the rights to the Sunday night timeslot, meaning no other station could show baseball. I am probably wrong, but...

It will be on FSN.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2003, 01:03 PM
The Rangers play all night games with the exception of April and September. It's been that way since they moved from Washington D.C.

Look back at your old Sox schedules for confirmation. In August 83 for instance the Sox played Texas in a Sunday night game.

Lip

Viva Magglio
08-16-2003, 01:35 PM

Yeah, like if the Angels arrive at O'Hare at 5:00 a.m., the Sox should schedule a Noon day game that day.

voodoochile
08-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Okay, that's valid. I didn't think about the heat. Probably better to do it that way, actually. At least there isn't a time change coming home tonight...

xil357
08-16-2003, 03:42 PM

This was the problem right here. Not so much the Sunday game at Texas at 7:05, that is reasonable because of the heat (I live in it after all). The problem was the Thursday night game in Anaheim, especially given the two hour time difference and the distance involved. That is utterly ridiculous.

MLB and the clubs need to be smarter about West Coast trips. Teams from the East and Midwest need to make longer but fewer trips to the West Coast. Play Seattle, Oakland, Anaheim (and every third year the NL West teams), and do it at the beginning of the season in one fell swoop. This has the dual benefit of getting early season games in better West Coast (and dome) weather and reducing overall travel costs. The MLB is utterly stupid, and the clubs completely asinine, and the players union foolishly short-sighted, for agreeing to a schedule that allows teams to criss-cross the country without allowing for travel times.

I don't want to make excuses for the Sox dismal performance in making Colby Lewis look like Bob Feller (even though the umpiring sucked as well), but for goodness sake the fans deserve better than what the Sox were able to muster against the Rangers on Friday night.

I'm going tonight (Saturday 8/16) and the Sox better solve their rectal-cranial inversion PDQ.

Paulwny
08-17-2003, 11:21 AM
When the yanks are expected to arrive in the early morning hrs. they quite often send that day's starter to the next city a day early. I don't know how many other teams do this but it's a good idea since, at least the starting pitcher will be rested.

TornLabrum
08-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
When the yanks are expected to arrive in the early morning hrs. they quite often send that day's starter to the next city a day early. I don't know how many other teams do this but it's a good idea since, at least the starting pitcher will be rested.

:reinsy

"That would mean I'd have to pay for an airline ticket for one guy in addition to paying for a charter. Unless the fans start coming out to the games, I can't afford to do that."

Tragg
08-17-2003, 01:05 PM

Good question because I note that whenever the getaway game is in Chicago, it is almost always an afternoon game. KC was at night, Cal was at night.
Of course I've also wondered why the Cubs play at home for all 3 summer holidays, why the Sox both open and close on the road, etc. ectc. etc.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
The Sox open on the road (and have every season from 1991 on) at the request of Sox management.

Their thinking is that with school still in session and with lousy weather the crowds directly after Opening Day will be small at best

The Sox have also requested as few home games in April as possible which is why I'm sure they weren't pleased to see this year's slate of April home games.

Remember teams can request playing at home or on the road during certain dates (holidays) and times but MLB doesn't not have to honor those requests. They try as much as possible but they don't have to.

Lip

adsit
08-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Remember teams can request playing at home or on the road during certain dates (holidays) and times but MLB doesn't not have to honor those requests. They try as much as possible but they don't have to.

Lip

I wasn't aware that individual teams wielded so much influence on schedule decision-making. No wonder some teams always seem to get the short end of the stick. I'm sure Steinbrenner, for one, hots up the line every time the preliminary schedule is released.

This may also explain why the White Sox don't seem to want to play home games in October as well... lousy weather and kids in school. Makes about as much sense as anything else I can think of at this point.